Northern Ky/Florence Area

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by TheRegulator, May 22, 2009.

1. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You guys that are up here in Northern Ky fishing the river, where are you fishing at? I am new to the whole river thing, just got a boat. I have been out a few times on the river to no avail. I have been putting on at Trixie's marina, I have been out on the main river back on Gunpowder creek and Big bone creek. I don't know whether to fish the main bodies or fish the tributaries. What should I use for bait. I like to catch anything and everything, so Anything would be nice right now. I realize the water has been high'moving/ and muddy, and I assume has a lot to do with it but any help would be appreciated.:big_smile:

Thanks
    Mike

2. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Use shad and follow the methods laid out on this site and you will get into them. Fish lots of cover and transition spots in the river bed. I am fishing big bone tomorrow I'll post up my results.

3. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks for the response, let me know how you did. I am going to put the boat on today and horse around a little. Won't do much fishing today though.:eek:oooh: I have a cast net, are you just netting the shad? Can you take bait or does it have to be caught on the river to fish it?

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    you can do what you think is best but I usually will just net my bait the same day as fishing. I went on the river yesterday and it sucked pretty badly, the guys I went with wanted to bass fish and crappie fish and that just wasnt happening so I only got about 30 min of catfishing in. Good Luck

5. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I put on yesterday for a few hours, no fishing though. I talked to a couple people that said they had no luck, Still looked muddied up. I did see trot lines all up gunpowder. I saw four that had fish on. I pulled them up to see what they had. They had all channel cats about 2lbs each. I'll catch something down there one of these days:wink:

6. coonandcatcrazy

coonandcatcrazy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fish big bone quite abit i dont have a boat but what i do for the big back watter blues is cut bluegill on a large float fishing about 3 ft deep at night my biggest right at the boat ramp is 27lbs:) good luck.. im from crittenden by the way so just a stone throw away im always lookin for fishin buddies

7. coonandcatcrazy

coonandcatcrazy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i fish big bone alot just from the bank i aint got a boat but i like to use cut bluegill on a large float with a nice sized circle hook and sit and wait at night right at the boat ramp. my biggest is 27lbs right at the ramp. i live in crittenden so im around fishin all the time

8. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sounds like there are fish in the creeks to be caught:wink: I haven't spent time on the river Catfishing, This weeknds weather looks good, so I am sure I will do some then. So far I have only fished there for bass/crappie, and no sign of fish.:eek:oooh: Looks like those waters should be loaded, definitely a learning curve for me from lake fishing:crazy: Thanks for the replies:big_smile:

9. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know you were just curious to see what fish were on there but do be careful that people don't think you are running there lines . Sometimes people get bent over that .I have had people run my jugs when i was not in plain sight and animosity on the water is not good . Just looking out for ya..

10. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yea, I thought about that and wondered if they would get upset. I had my two younger boys with me and they were dying to see what was swimming around like that. :roll_eyes: I folded. The lines were done right, they had owner tags on them. I have never run a limb line before, but I was a little upset to see how many were hanging from the tree limbs just cut off with the upper half to litter the trees. Looks like someone cut the lines off above the tags and left the rest to hang.

Thanks for looking out for me and the advice, I can definitely see where someone would get upset if I was on their lines. I have heard many stories where people abandon the lines. This was mid day, when I pulled them up it appeared to be new lines with name plates, I dropped them back in and left them alone.:wink:

11. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    yeah.. i jug fish some and I hate to see anyleftover limblines jugs old trotlines coils of line left from rod and reeling misc. trash not god for fisherpeoples rep. or the enviorment . i could see how youngens could make you cave to pressure got a 8,7,6, year olds myself

12. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Those are fun ages... they still want to go fishing a bunch. My boys are 9 and 10 and they are starting to run more with their friends than want to fish with their dad:roll_eyes:.I have a 5 year old daughter that still hangs with me when fishing in the back yard. I live on a 3 acre pond so they can fish whenever they want. So they don't get as excited about it lately, but I'm sure it will stick with them forever!

I think I saw you lived in Richmond, if I remember right. I went to college at EKU, didn't fish at all while I was there at school, are their many good places to go?

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Fishing the river mostly.And not so good for cats there is Wilgreen and went to Cedar Creek in Lincoln Co. a few weeks ago caught 3 1 was 26 in in avitar .

14. Fortancient

Fortancient New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I fish these creeks alot..well some more than others. Trixies gets a lot of pressure. The channels are starting to spawn so you can get them right off og the bank. I caught some nice crappie last weekend biggest of the year thus far and its mostly over. Weird year for sure. I have a couple of spots on the main river in the area if you have a big enough motor to go out there. I do not as I only have a 5hp but get with me and I will "hook you up" ! I live in Florence/Burlington and have for the past 30 years so I have done my runnin on these waters for sure.

15. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    FortAncient,

We'll definitely have to get together and fish down there. I went bass fishing Sunday for a few hours and had no luck. I put in at Trixie's and ran down to Big Bone. I had not been up the creek there, and wanted to see it. I fished there for a while, I saw a handful of channels up near the banks while I was trolling, but did not fish for them. Maybe I should have, because that is all I saw besides a big grass carp.

I have good success on lakes, but am new to the river and it definitely has me frustrated.