Northern Colorado catfish

Discussion in 'COLORADO LAKES TALK' started by ripley311, Oct 8, 2006.

1. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    Hi, I just recently started fishing again after about ten years. I am origionally from central Illinois and caught catfish there a lot. I have been fishing several lakes up here that are supposed to have catfish, but in about 10 outings I have only had one hit and that one got away. I live in Laporte, Co so I would like to stick with the lakes around here.
    My problem seems to be locating fish in the lakes. I have fished Dixon reservoir, Watson lake and Wellington reservoir #4. These lakes are fairly uniform and don't seem to have a lot of structure. Where are the best places to fish in this type of lake? I have been trying shallows and downwind areas of the lakes. Ive also been fishing mostly around full moons for the past 2 months. One thing I have wondered if the water temp just drops sooner in the lakes than it does in lakes I used to fish in illinois. Is this an alright time of year to catch cats here?
    Thanks for your help.

2. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    I am using chicken liver or liver flavored Mr. stinker bait with a 3/4 or 1 oz. sinker on a 18" leader.

3. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Hey Ripley,

I am orginially from Mississippi and I am having the same problem. The fish just arent hitting! I fish Harvey Gap Lake and the Colorado River. The most action I had was in the Colorado River. The other day I got an amazing hit! Felt like a monster on the end of my pole...but it was snapped before I had time to react. Thinking it was a Pike or something, who knows.

I have mainly been fishing with nightcrawlers or stink bait, when my line broke, I wasnt using a leader, though will next time.

I was fishing in fairly fast current as well letting my line drift behind a pilin (sp?). Water temps are fairly decent year round in the south for catfishing,havent a clue up here. Im very frustrated though. The lake hasnt proven to be anything and the river really isnt accissble at times.

Good thing I aint fishing to live, Id starve!:lol:

Where bouts you from?

4. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    Im from central Illinois near champaign

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Vince you may need to try some natural bait that is in the waters you fish such as shad, herring are gills. Try them whole, live and cut up. The rig sound good. Good luck. As for location is there a dam area are some feeder creeks that hold baitfish? If so you may want to target those area's. Good Luck

6. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Whats up man? I have only been able to catch trout so far. I liked it a lot better when I could just wonder down to the Sangamon and catch 6-10 lb channels. This Colorado stuff is tough. I won't be able to get a regular resident fishing permit until February, but I have been getting a couple days at a time to go out on a few weekends. We need to hit it sometime. I brought some stink bait from home that is like gold. I haven't used it here yet though. When did you join the BOC? I browsed as a tourist for a while before joining earlier this summer. Lots of good tips on here.

7. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    whatup matt, yeah Ive caught some alright trout 1lb and slightly bigger but I still can't catch catfish. I have found a spot where I can catch 5-10lb carp fairly easily, but for the most part the fish seem to be smaller and harder to catch. I fish most weekends but I don't know your work schedule so let me know.

8. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    Oh yeah, I just started checking this page out recently. I thought I knew how to catch catfish but was striking out since I moved here. So I was checking everywhere and this site seemed to have the best info.

9. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    I work Monday to Friday 6:00 to 2:30. I caught a few good size cats this year before I moved. I caught 22 keeper size crappie one afternoon in Mahomet. The smallest was 9 1/2" and the largest was 13 3/4". I have not had much of a chance to go out here yet. I plan on fixing that once I can get a full time license. Until then I will just get two days at a time. Phoebe's sister caught a 10lb 14ounce channel at Clinton one night when she went fishing with her dad and I. I went out a few nights until late in her dads boat and caught a handful of good size keepers. Let me know when you are going sometime and I will clear up some fishing time.

10. stephens

stephens New Member

State:
    clarksville tn
    i used to live in fort morgan colo and the best catfishing was at sterling res or big mac. there was good catfishing in the new granda down by lamar but thats about a four hour drive. hope this helps.

11. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Thanks a ton man! I have really been having withdrawls for some tasty catfish. It makes me miss how easy it was to catch fish in Illinois.:big_smile: I will have to see if I can make a day out of it. Nothing beats the outdoors!

12. ripley311

ripley311 New Member

State:
    COLORADO
    here are a few pics of the fish i have caught in colorado.

Attached Files:

13. coloradowhiskerchaser

coloradowhiskerchaser New Member

State:
    colorado
    Hello all you new comers to CO! I am a Colorado native and have been chasin the cats since I was pup. A couple things from my opinion that might get you started, first change the date on the begining of the colorado link to show old threads, there is some great info on lakes, especially on the area north of Denver. From October through March or April can be really tough for cats but it can be done. The summer months we have some great fishing. I would stick to natural baits like sucker meat especially when the water temp is down, save the stink bait for the summer. There is a lot of lakes that hold good numbers of fish and some big ones to, information can just be hard to get because CO is such a big trout state but rest assured there is a strong contingent of cat anglers that will help you find the sweet spots and baits.

Brett
    p.s. If you are looking to buy sucker meat try Sportsmans warehouse, they have several stores in CO including Denver and Loveland.

14. valentine

valentine New Member

State:
    Colorado
    Any places in particular? Or just drop into a water hole somewhere. I have heard that Chatfeild has a good catfish population on the sout end?