Northern caught on liver?

Discussion in 'IOWA RIVERS TALK' started by armydude3, Aug 28, 2008.

1. armydude3

armydude3 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I was just out fishin the local river using chicken liver and I had a northern right up to the shore before it broke my line... I can honestly say I have never caught a northern on liver before. But i guess anything can work for any fish... Just thought id drop that line.. later bros

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    how big was he?

3. mikeskywalker

mikeskywalker New Member

State:
    IOWA
    Where are you fishing armydude ?

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome aboard Brandon. I caught my first Northern years ago. It was 33" long and wouldn't ya know it I was channel catting with chicken liver!:wink:lol

5. armydude3

armydude3 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It was'nt all that big.. looked like maybe 16 inches? just shocked me i didnt know northerns hit liver.. i was fishin the winnebago river up in north central iowa

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Caught a 4lb northern in the muddy Red River here in Fargo ND earlier this summer on a piece of cut goldeye.

Suprised me first for him just being there, and second for what he bit on.

7. delbert bumbleshoot

delbert bumbleshoot New Member

State:
    Overland Park,Kansas
    2 years ago I caught 2 rainbow trout while fishing for channel cat with turkey liver. Wipers love the stuff. We also caught 35 grass carp over the course of 3 summers on liver. I asked the fisheries bioplogist why they would bite liver since they are supposedly vegetarian. He says "Are you throwing chum?" I said every time He says "they are probably there eating the soybeans and milo and just happen to find the liver and they like the texture." Have lots of non-digital pics of them.Biggest one 52 lbs smallest 20 lbs.