Northern California bullhead catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL CALIFORNIA TALK' started by Sharkaddict, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    Well this is my first post, so here it goes. Does anyone know where I can catch some Bullheads in Northern California? I am willing to travel, and if need be I own a boat. Any helpful places would be great.

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Paul welcome to the BOC great to have new member's from nor cal on here. What part of nor cal you from?

3. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    San Jose. I did a seach on here for Bullheads and I saw a post of yours from back in June. I tried to PM you, but it said I need a minimum of 10 posts. I have always wanted to target bullheads, but end up catching channels. Can you tell me where to catch some bullheads and in return, I am sure I can get you into some fish as well.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    HeyPaul,
    welcome to the BOC! I been running into a lot of bullheads down here in Fresno resently. You get down this way, I will put you on some bullheads:wink:

5. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    I was near Bass Lake over the weekend. I believe thats pretty close to Fresno? Do you fish from shore or land? Well I might be able to come down on Sunday, my daughter is sick so I am just waiting to see how she is. If not this weekend, then in the near future.

6. plumbertom1

plumbertom1 Well-Known Member

State:
    Eugene, Or.
    Welcome to the BOC, Paul.
    That's a nice looking leapord (?) shark in your avatar.
    I catch a few of those out around Catalina Island.
    Robb fishes the Mendota area quite a bit so he should be able to find those bullheads. Its also about 100 miles closer to you than Bass Lake.

7. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Right on Paul! Wow! nice avatar brother! My cell is 559-293-0458. There are some spots i know that are pretty good. I fish from shore. i had a boat a few years back, but my wife got real ill and our ins would only cover a portion of her medical equipment, so i sold my boat to get her the appropriate equipment. No regrets. Would sell everything I own for my family's health:wink: There are some excellent spots too with a boat. Give me a buzz anytime (559) 476-7366

8. Capt Steve

Capt Steve Active Member

State:
    Clovis, CA
    At Mendota you don't have to find the bullheads. They find you. They are a nuisance. I went out this morning for 3 hours- a 2# channel, a couple bullheads and something huge that got off at the bank after a 10 min fight. Bait was garlic minimallows with a nightcrawler. Nonstop bites, probably bullheads that couldn't gobble my big hooks.

9. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    Well Robb hopefully your wife is better now. Anytime you want to go out on the boat let me know. Depending on the season, I do sturgeon, halibut, salmon, striper, and etc. I love fishing on the boat and all, but it just seems like I can never relax. I used to fish the delta for catfish all the time with my pops and we would just sit back and relax and have a good time. I am looking to do that again. Do you guys eat what you catch? Do you notice any taste difference between Bullheads or Channels? The bullheads I think will be fun on my UL rod.

10. big taz

big taz New Member

State:
    california
    Welcome to the board... I find a different taste between the two and I like both but the bullheads have a nice flavor.. I enjoy them both.. Light weight rods are fun with any of the catfish. I fish channels with 4-6lb. test during the summer. As a matter of fact I recently killed them at lake silverwood..
    cat killing.jpg

fillets.jpg

cats silverwood.jpg

11. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    BIG Taz, I still dont have 10 posts yet, so I cant see the attachments. Lake Silverwood, is that down in Southern California? My buddy swears by catching the cats out of an area that has moving water, they dont taste as muddy. I dont know how he cooks it, but I have never had a problem with a mud taste.

12. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    The Bullheads will spawn in the winter sometimes. I have had some of the beast bullhead fishing in my life around December-January. I ran into a spawn in Rio vista (right around the bridge) one day. I couldn't keep em' off the hook for several hours. same thing happened in stockton around the port. Up here towards Sacramento you can't get away from the bullheads.....I want to catch the channels! Good luck with your search.

13. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    Welcome to the BOC. from Arkansas.

14. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the welcomes, I havent been on this site for more than a couple of days, and now I am hooked on it. All the reservoirs stock channels down here, I just like the look and the fight of the Bullhead.

15. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Linzter.......Where you been brother? Man, need to hook up one day.

16. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Ditto from me Linz..... long time no see.... been out for stripers or salmon?

Sharkaddict.... Welcome to you from southern calif..... Redondo Beach out of santa monica bay....

Bayrunner Ray

17. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    Is there a minimum size limit on Bullheads? I have a large fish tank that I was going to put some tropical fish in, but now I am wondering if I should make it a native tank. I can put a bullhead, maybe a couple of bluegill.

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    i have a 20 gal tank i put gills in i catch for bait fish. darn things keep plugging up the filter hanging on back of tank. every two weeks, have to take off and apart and clean. :angry: but they stay alive to catch flatties for me. the little sweeties. :0a18:
    gary

19. Sharkaddict

Sharkaddict New Member

State:
    California
    Well I am in the process of buying a bar, and I think it would be pretty sweet if I put a fish tank in there. I can pretty much stock the tank with whatever I catch.

20. fshnutz

fshnutz New Member

State:
    Sacramento California
    Hey Robb and Ray,
    I just havn't been around a computer too much this last year. I had a banner year for striper and bass. Right after our houseboat outing, I kicked it in high gear. my brother and I had good striper fishing out of Steamboat slough this year. We also fished the delta waters ( some of the same spots we hit on the boat) and did pretty well. I havn't been out for salmon yet. Probably in the next few weeks I'll make it out to the American river. I just moved in to a new apartment right next to the Sacramento river. I can walk over the levee from my yard.......sweet!!! I'll try not to be such a stranger. good luck to you guys. Say hi to Bert for me.
    Linz:006: