Northeast Ohio-Long Lake 7/9

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by cheezemm2, Jul 9, 2008.

1. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Had the chance to get out for 3 hours in the yak...as usual saw very little shad bubbling on the surface, so I left the cast net in the trunk. Took chicken liver out and managed 5 bullheads...They would not quit swallowing the hook. Thought about keeping them to use as flathead bait this weekend, but have no way of keeping them alive? All of them gave the hook back, but one...cut it close to the eye and let him swim off!

Are bullheads good as cut bait?

I hope the spawn is over soon and the channels start getting back into the swing of things!?!?

Have my fingers crossed that southern ohio is about 2 weeks ahead of northern in terms of the spawn!!!

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    never used them as cut bait.but,always try something different,lol

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Those bullheads are good catfish bait. Never used them cut, but I'm betting they are better cut than chicken liver.

4. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    there are a ton of bulls in long lake.ive used them there,live and cut with no solid results.in the area your fishing,check out nimisila and north reservoir(howard lake an the spillway area),i have taken 8 to 10lbers out of both recently and a 15lb channel out of nimisila 2 years ago.no flatts though.i doubted there were any up here until the large one from east reservoir was pulled out a couple of months ago.still searchin for them.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I tried cut bullhead once when I ran out of shad. Caught more bullheads.

6. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    One could make a flat bottom wire cage with a top door on it about 9 inches high X 2'X2' and place it back into the lake in a safe spot with a camo line attached to the cage. (not sure how legal). If the Bulls swallow the hook cut the line and don't try to pull it out. Some will still die due to the hook.

If not a flat bottom cage it MAY put alot of stress on them being bunched together in shallow water.

Bullheads and Channels make GREAT Yellow Cat bait for they can better withstand the stress of the warmer waters and the lack of oxygen. IF one hooks them up where they stay just off the bottem they work even better!!!!!

:wink::wink::wink:

7. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Man bullheads are the best Flathead bait ! They have this thing with Faltheads where they like to be next to them. Its like the little fish swiming next to sharks. I would say they are the only bait that just gives it's self to those big Flatheads for dinner. I learned this a couple of years back from a friend of mine who works at Cabela's feeding the monster fish in the viewing tanks. I also saw it mentioned on here in a video. Thats here I learned what a suicide rig is. Its a little different then what I was using but the same concept. I recommend the video, it has a bunch of good info/tips in it. Here is the link
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80937
    Matt, AKA DESODE

8. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    lmao,sounds like my luck