North Santee last Sunday

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by JAinSC, May 7, 2008.

1. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I started out fishing for sunfish around 2 PM for baits. They were not red hot, but were biting pretty steady and I got some great baits. I even released a few like the one in the picture that I felt were a bit "too big" for baits.

I ended up getting 4 flatheads (13, 16, 12 and 9 pounds), and took a picture of a pretty little 13 pounder that bit around 7:30. Unfortunately, I also broke off 3 others in snags. I am still frustrated by the amount of submerged woody cover in the lower Santee River. Cover is good, but it's almost impossible for me to find a good looking spot that's fishable! The river flows through swamp woodlands and all those trees seem to end up in the river eventually. I guess I am going to have to go to heavier tackle. One fish doubled down my muskie rod (for me it's a flathead rod, of course) so hard that he ended up breaking off in a snag before I could even get the rod loose from the holder.

Anyway, it was a nice night, with owls calling, bats flying around the boat, and even a few shooting stars for entertainment.

I'm still learning (and hopefully I will be until the day I die) and eventually I will find spots tht hold fish where I have a chance of landing them before they get into the snags.

On another subject, I am a bit disgusted by the lost or abandoned trotlines in the river. I al most lost my anchor on one. I would have pulle dthe dang thing out of the river, but I was alone and a bit scared of dealing with all those hooks and the whole mess in the dark...

Attached Files:

2. captmarty

captmarty New Member

State:
    south carolina
    THAT IS SOME NICE FISH! THOSE TROTLINES ARE AGGRAVATING AS HELL! I KNOW THE FEELING U HAD!

3. blackrivertiger

blackrivertiger New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Where is generally considered the difference between upper and lower santee river? I was hoping to do some fishing around the Hwy. 41 bridge. Any word on the fishing around that area?

4. fishhooked

fishhooked New Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds like a great trip. I was talking to my brother just this week about trying out the Santee. I've never been there but would love to try it. I would like to find a fish-camp with a boat ramp, to rent a house/camper for the weekend. I here that the north side of the lake has a bunch of trees and stumps in it. I love that king of fishing. Hard to do but fun! Do you know of any good fish-camps I should try? Thansk for the help.

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Patrick -
    I come from Charleston, so the river around Highway 17 is closest for me. I generally fish in the tidewater sections of any of the coastal rivers. I was actually fishing the "North Santee" which extends from the ocean to the confluence with Wadmacon Creek just a few miles above Hwy 17. I don' tthink there's an official "upper" and "lower" river, but that close to the ocean is "low" to me.

Ken,
    I generally fish the rivers. I don't know the lake much, but I'm sure someone else will be able to help you out. A while back I did find a web site for the lake area called "Santee Cooper Country" that had a lot of that sort of info. You might "google" it and see what you can find.

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Glad U had a good trip. Every time I come across a set hook or trotline I take them out of the water. People have no respect for anything any more they just leave them in the water. I fished the PEE DEE saturday and took 5 set hooks out that were abandoned. Just makes no sense to me.

PEEDEE CAT