North GA Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL GEORGIA TALK' started by Yakdawg, Oct 28, 2008.

1. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Ok, I am not asking anyone to give up any "honey holes"!!! But what are some good locations in North GA to target flathead cats!

I am specifically trying to land a big flattie in my kayak, not may people target them from the yak so I think it will be fun!

Any ideas??? Thanks for any info brothers!

2. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    Yak, If you want a big flathead you need to come on down here to West Point and fish the Chattahoochee up around Franklin. Put in at the Franklin bridge and paddle upstream until you find a deep hole. That is where you will catch your big flathead. There are some banjo pickers along this stretch of river so be careful.

3. bradley_G

bradley_G New Member

State:
    Woodstock, GA
    Yak, I will be also on the lookout in north GA for some flats, I hear that the coosa has some good fishing out west of cartersville, and HEARD that allatoona has them, but have heard only of one or two instances. If I find any concrete info I'll be sure to post it. good luck, hope when you hook that trophy one it doesnt take you all the way out to sea....lol

4. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Wow, you'd think a large flathead would capsize a kayak! I know people do it though. Good luck!
    Bill in SC

5. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
    I saw a guy catch a marlin out of a kayak on t.v. the other night.

6. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA

No worries about capsizing! My yak is very stable, I often stand up in it when I am bass fishing.......I will post a report when I hook a Flathead in it, just a matter of time, hope to do it before winter!

Thanks for the info on the Hooch fishwestpoint, I have been planning to head that way, will see when I can get down there!

7. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You've gotten some good advice already from Paul and Bradley. If you'd like a shot at a nice blue too, the Coosa is the place to go. Big flatheads are in the Coosa, but they are outnumbered by blues. Good luck fishin'.

8. Yakdawg

Yakdawg New Member

State:
    Cumming, GA
    Thanks bumper,

A big blue would be cool also! The Coosa is in northwest ga??? Have to get my map out, looks like I am going to plan my "large cat from the yak" trip in a few weeks! This is going to be fun!

9. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Coosa is on the other side of Rome, the headwaters of lake weiss,, good luck on your adventures ans be sure to le us know how you do...:roll_eyes:
    Puddle

10. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Makes me a little nervous just thinking about the Kayak down there in GA, Be careful brother

11. basstracker

basstracker New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Head on up to Resaca and fish the Oost. I was catching flats almost everyday in the 12 to 15 lbs range, then after that last rain we had the flats quit and the channels started.

12. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    yeah that last rain knocked the temp. here down almost 10 degree's.....I don't think the flats are nearly done down here though.....The weather has been consistent for the last week and I have the next three days off....wish me luck

13. Fishmaster1203

State:
    PA
  14. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Good Luck Yakdawg, I will be watching for the report!