North Carolina trout fishing

Discussion in 'Trout Fishing' started by Randync, Jun 27, 2006.

1. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Any NC trout people here? Im looking for a good place to fish, that allows live bait. I like using Crickets more than flies. I used to fish Curtis Creek in Old Fort, but I heard it's all artificial bait now.

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Randy, I'm not sure how far you want to go, but you can't go wrong with Cherokee. Plenty of trout and live bait allowed.

3. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yeah Ive always wanted to fish up there. Most of my relatives live near there, in Waynesville, but Ive never made it over there to fish.

4. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    I used to wear out the French Broad river and it's tributaries in Transylvania County. Almost always caught fish. Since I moved to SC I haven't fished up there any but they have changed the regulations on alot of the streams I used to fish. I used to spin fish mostly but would use live bait (worms) quite a bit. We used to catch a bunch on flies but I usually caught more trees flyfishing. There was just something about using a 7 foot fly rod and a 6 foot leader in a 10 foot wide stream that I couldn't master.:roll_eyes:

5. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Ive got a 7 footer with a fly reel, but I don't do any fancy stuff with it. I also disturbed alot of birds in trees. I usually just flip it out almost like a cane pole. Dont look quite as cool as what real fly fishermen do but I tend to cover more water and less leaves doing it.

6. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That reminds, me the first time I ever went trout fishing was in Transylvania County. I was about 10 years old, don't remember where it was but I do remember my uncle getting a ticket from a game warden for something lol. Im wanting to get back up there and check and see if Inman branch in Haywood county has any trout. Im desended from those "Cold Mountain" Inmans. I think it's probaby too little of a creek to have many fish though.

7. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I want to catch some trout sometime, but it is a six hour drive for something I have never done before. Might just go to one of those pay & keep lakes up near the mountains.

8. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Can anyone tell me a good area to try for trout? I would prefer using live bait. I fish with spinning tackle, not too good with flies.