North Carolina State Record Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ace, Jan 22, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Fish caught in the Cape Fear River Sept 17-2005 by Brian Newberger.
    Weight 78 lbs {52 inch long} {39 inch girth}.
    pic from internet.
    Ace:0a18:

2. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The fish in my picture on my avatar was 51" long, but only weighed in at 48lbs! So it was only an inch shorter than the state record, but was a much skinnier fish. I didn't get an exact girth measurement on it, but I know it wasn't nearly as well fed as that record fish was.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thats a fish of my dreams!

4. Tym2Fish

Tym2Fish New Member

State:
    Scottsdale Arizona
    I agree that is a nice fish and James Thank You for your service to our GREAT COUNTY!!!!!

5. joe0580

joe0580 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    that fish was caught on a live eel that the guy gets from fayettville. and was caught on upper side near fayettville at like 1 in the morning. he kept it alive for 10 hours and stayed with fiosh to weight it and than released it to be caught again. now that is cool. i caught on about 51 lbs during last fish off on old web site. and it was huge. i played it for almost 30 to 45 minutes. i could not imagine the fight he had.

6. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    That's good news, Joe. I had wondered if the fish was released or not.

7. cat daddy 791

cat daddy 791 New Member

State:
    Kansas- Wichita
    Just Thought I Would Share A Pic From My Hometown Of Independence,ks. Kansas Isn't Known Best For Its Fisheries. But There Are Some Really Good Spots If You Know The Right People. The World Record Flathead Was Caught At Elk City Reservoir. There Have Also Been Several Large Ones Caught From Contributing Creeks And The Verdegris River. I Have Seen Guys With Several In The 60 To 80 Lb Range. Even A Few In The 90's. Chetopa Is A Pretty Good Spot Also. Claiming Today That It Is Still The Catfish Capital. KEN PAULIES RECORD FISH WAS OVER 121 LBS.

Attached Files:

8. kcforejc

kcforejc New Member

State:
    NC
    That fish over 121lbs is so large, it doesn't even look like a real catfish. Thats what pictures are for though. What a catch!

9. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the truth , its my wifes.......

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Draggers, we have a quite a few NC members. What part of the state do you reside in?
    Welcome to the BOC!

11. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Mark I live 20 miles west of charlotte , n.c. in gastonia , we fish wylie, jordan lake ,lake wateree and santee .... thanks and and i enjoy the BOC. we will be doing a lot of drift fishing on all the lakes if the wind will be in our favor. allways remember if the rod goes down ,its a bite,they dont have no hands...........................................................