North Carolina jug line laws

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by bowfin, Apr 16, 2007.

1. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I can't find the laws for jug lines How many can you fish what can you use for the jugs can someone help

2. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    and here is the answer......

For some very strange reason, trot lines, jugs and limb lines are found in the Inland Game Fish section.. I guess they think people are actually going to try to catch game fish, of which catfish are of course not a member, with a chunk of fish or other natural bait.....go figure.....

Anyway, there is only one rule...don't use live bait.

Here it is: :wink:

It is unlawful to use live bait with trotlines, set-hooks or jug-hooks.
    _ Trotlines must be set parallel to the nearest shore in all public
    waters where their use is authorized.
    _ Each trotline and set-hook (except jug-hooks) shall have
    attached the name and address of the user legibly inscribed.

3. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    David I found three references to Jug lines in the regs. 1. It is illegal to use live bait on juglines (trotlines and set lines as well). 2. You can't use metal cans or glass containers. 3. " Each trotline and set-hook (except jug-hooks) shall have attached the name and address of the user legibly inscribed. You should check www.ncwildlife.org for local regs regarding the bodies of water that you fish. Hope this helps.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    metal cans or glass containers for "jug fishing", although I doubt anyone would.

You cannot use those items as markers for your trot lines or set hooks.

5. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Greg, the regs state, "Metal cans and glass containers cannot be used as markers." Not trying to rock the boat, just don't want to see a BOC brother get in trouble with the state.

6. floundahman

floundahman New Member

State:
    North Caro
    Greg, tried to edit my last post after realizing all that you had posted. I wanted to ask isn't a jug a "marker"? The regs are so vague. I had heard that jugs had to be anchored but the regs don't say anything about that. Juglines fall under the Trotlines and set-lines catagory in the regs so I guess it's implied. I assume that that means that a jug must be anchored in the water rather than be secured to the bank because then it would be considered a trotline?:confused2:

7. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    of confusing language in the regulations. The problem is, jug lines are an afterthought. They are just thrown in with set lines and trot lines. They are not regulated except for the live bait thing. I would feel confident that you could use anything you want for a jug line. However, if it is important enough to someone that they are actually going to try it, I would email the NCWRC for a written response.

For me, jug fishing = boring and too much work anyway.....

8. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    ok... i just called nc wildlife, the number for regulations is 919-707-0030, for jug lines, they only thing regulated is no live bait, the jug can be of any color as long as its not a peice of trash (glass bottle, or can), and it doesn't need to be anchored. you can put a weight on it, but it can be free floating, they don't have to be marked but wildlife prefers them to be marked just incase they need to find out who's it is, and the wildlife officer said to just make sure to collect them all so that there aren't jugs floating around everywhere... for set hooks, no live bait, has to be marked with name and address or name and vessel registration number, or name and initials... trotlines, any color can be used for the bouys, has to be parellel to the nearest shore, can't impede others from using the water, no max length and no max amount of hooks, has to be anchored, bouys have to have owners name and address, or name and vessel registration number, or name and initials... thats all i got from the wildlife officer, and i asked for the highest ranking officer in the office just to make sure i got the right answers... lol

9. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    he had also said that all trotlines, juglines, and set hooks must be fished at least once every 24 hours, but that is in the book and is 1 of 2 clear regs written bout the subject... lol

10. bowfin

bowfin New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Guys thanks alot I foundall the stuff about trout lins and set hooks and thout there would be more about jugs once again thanks alot

11. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    The info you are looking for is on pages 16 and 17 of north carolina regulations digest.You can get the regulations just about anywhere you buy fishing gear. Good luck

12. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin

guys, thanks for the laughs, lol... but there aint nothing wrong with jugs set hooks, or trotlines when they are used right. now i'm not tryin to convert yall to the other side of catfishing, but they can be a fun way of catching some catfish. i run trotlines, but i do it for the fun of it. yeah its alot of work, but i don't keep everything that i catch. its just for the fun of it. i like to run my trotlines and pull up a ton of fish, but i'm not goin to eat that much, so i keep a couple for dinner and let the rest go, that and i'm too lazy to clean that many fish, and i don't like fresh catfish frozen, takes the fresh out of it.

i think that jugs should have to be anchored down, but the car battery prolly wouldn't be the best anchor... lol

and the dynamite is only for the true hillbillys and they know better to throw it out the boat and duck... lol

again... thanks for the laughs

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Gene Chambers makes the best jugging rigs I've ever seen.