North Carolina Has Some Big Snakes

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Ace, May 29, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    Today 5-29-2006 my wife and I was in our back yard cleaning up around one of our out buildings.I was down on my knees cutting some old bamboo sprouts.
    All at once I caught something out the corner of my eye.It was a huge copperhead.I jump back.I told her it was a big snake.Run get my shot gun before it got away.When she got back the snake was still there but I could not tell what part of the snake I was looking at.I took aim at what I could see and shot but the snake was gone. I looked all around but could not see it.I could not let that big snake get away.The only thing I could do was to get jack from the kennal. Jack is my Jack Russell Terrier. I knew he would find it.Soon as he smelled where the snake had been it did not take 30 seconds for him to find it.He began to bay the snake.I tried to call him off because a snake that big might kill old Jack.Old Jack is 9 years old.He has killed a lot of snakes. But he was in a bad place to catch that snake in the right place with out getting bit.So I got the rake and began to move brush around the snake finally made a break for it.I hooked him with the rake and threw him out into the open.Jack grabbed him and rung him out like an old dish rag.I found out later that the snake was only shot in the tail and was far from being dead.

:waaaht: :sad_2a: :sweat: :misdoubt:

:cat:

Attached Files:

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    that was a big ole copper head their buddy good the jack didn't get hurt

3. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    uuuuuummmmmmmm shoot him again!!!!!!!! now how long is it goin to take for someone to say you shouldnt have killed the snake? yep im a idiot and thats a dead snake:big_smile:

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I aint gonna be the one to say anything about killing it......but....

What you killed was not a copperhead. The dog would have been fine if he got bit cause a Northern Watersnake never killed a dog.

Read all about em here:
    http://www.bio.davidson.edu/projects/herpcons/herps_of_NC/snakes/Ner_sip.html

Don't worry though...46% of the people in NC would think it was a copperhead, 54% of the folks would say its a Water Moccasin and 99.9% of the folks in the state would say "hey bubba, a dead snake is a good snake"

PS: If you really care about your dog.....better break the playin' with snakes thing....there are copperheads around and if he finds one of em' he might not make 10.

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Glad you got the snake before it got you.

6. Drawout

Drawout Active Member

State:
    Paris.Texas
    Wow i hate snakes lol :embarassed:

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    greggofish is right, it's not a copperhead.
    Ive caught a lot of them but never one quite that big although I bet they do get that big.
    The big ones are not the ones to worry about so much...
    It's those little ones that pack a mean punch!

Hope your rodent population don't go up to much...

8. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thats one bad boy there buddy, I'm glad nobody got hurt, Looks like a copperhead to me . the bands on a watersnake are more broken-up, what you have in my book is a copperhead of the best kind, a (dead-one)

9. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wait a minute, save it,------(CUT-BAIT)

10. odominioncatter

odominioncatter Member

State:
    Elkin, NC
    That looks a lot like a northern water snake. Do you have any lakes or streams close by? Copperheads dont get that big and usually have a much lighter color.

Northern water snakes have a pretty mean disposition but soap and water is all you need to heal up. BTW no snake bite is the best snake bite.

11. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    That is probably not a copperhead.

I have never seen one chronicled that has large dark bands that size. Copperheads have a saddlebag shaped dark area that is narrower on the top of the snake.

It looks more like a northern or banded water snake or most likely a corn snake. It is really hard to say without seeing the eyes or the bottom of the snake. Corn snakes are often mistakenly killed because they are thought to be copperheads.

Here are some copperhead pics:
    http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/agkcon1.jpg
    http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/agkcon2.jpg
    http://www.dlia.org/atbi/species/animals/vertebrates/reptiles/images/Agkistrodon_twins.jpg
    http://www.dlia.org/atbi/species/animals/vertebrates/reptiles/images/Agkistrodon_light.jpg

Here is a banded water snake:
    http://www.herpsofnc.org/herps_of_NC/snakes/nerfas3.jpg

These are variations of corn snakes:
    http://animal-pictures.duble.com/Snake/Corn Snake/1.jpg
    http://hometown.aol.com/guttata319/Hawkherp/okeetee2.GIF

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    That's A Big Copperhead, Good Job "jack."

13. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I wish some one would tell Ready my German Hunting Terrier that that was not a Copper Head bit him in his dog lot last year 2005 But he killed it just like jack.Check out his neck.I do not need a snake to take care of the rats and such . I have 3 Jackrussell Terriers+Old Ready.

:dribble:

:cat:

Attached Files:

14. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Well, whatever kind of snake it was, it was a big one! :misdoubt:

Your Ready looks just like a lil rottweiler puppy!:cool2:

15. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    is indeed a copperhead.

First snake is a Northern Watersnake. It just is.

Fortunately copperhead venom is not particularly potent compared to other vipers in the area.

I have not seen as many copperheads this year....the extermination must be going well or they are getting better at hiding :lol:

16. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    If i aint mistaking i could be wrong but dont copperheads have blunt tail ?

17. Randync

Randync Member

State:
    North Carolina
    When I was a dumb teenager I killed what I thought was a 42 inch copperhead, only to be told by my uncle that it was just a watersnake. I will kill any copperheads I see but try to leave the rest alone. Ive only had one encounter while fishing this year, I heard the snake vacate a tree I had just walked under (shudders) and hit the water. Though last year I almost stepped on a Rattlesnake while trout fishing, in Old Fort. Those were some nice articles/websites you guys posted.

18. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ace, that second set of picture IS a copperhead.

You can see the difference in the markings between the first one and the second. The second snake has the wider dark marking lower on the snake than the first one. Copperheads have narrow dark markings at the top and they widen out on the sides like a saddlebag.

Most people don't get close enough to look, hehehehehe, but the pupil of the eyes on a copperhead are eliptical like a cats pupil and not round like other non-venonmous snakes.

My neighbor has brough me several snakes that he thought were copperheads and they were actually corn snakes. People mistakenly kill them all the time, of course most people kill snakes just because they don't like them and are afraid of them.

All the time at the marina I hear people refer to the snakes they see swimming on top of the water on Lake Wylie and the South Fork as "water moccasins", when in fact they are non-venomous banded water snakes.

Personally, I kill copperheads. I know they serve a purpose in the ecosystem, but I would rather feed the rodents to the non-venomous black rat, king, racer, and corn snakes that frequent the area.

19. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Like cucumbers? LOL!!

That is what you hear a lot! The fact is most snakes are capable of emitting a smell, and the vipers are known for it more than most. Water moccasins and water snakes are noted for emitting a musky odor.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

This is a very informative thread. Ace, thanks for posting your pictures. Faced with the same situation, I'd rather be safe than sorry. My dad always told me to look at the head shape, and there do seem to be differences there, as well as in coloring and pattern. Do all snakes have/emit some sort of odor? After my blacksnake in the cabinet incident there was a distinct lingering odor for several days, even though I had cleaned the cabinet. My cat would go in there and jump up and down like she was possessed!