North Carolina Gains What Ohio Lost

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Mark J, May 22, 2006.

1. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I want to welcome Mike "Cyclops" to permanent residency in North Carolina.
    I know this has been a battle for him to finally get here.
    I know it has been hard having to be seperated from his wife while he hung back to take care of the house sale and closing out affairs in Ohio.

Mike, welcome to the Tarheel state.
    Just so you know , the term tarheel comes from the civil war when a Tennessee regiment referred to NC soldiers as Tarheelers because it was like their feet were glued to the ground they stood on. They didnt back up.

Mike, I hope yall enjoy the stay. I'm sure you'll have some kinks to get worked out but I hope it goes well for yall.:big_smile:

So how is life in Eden?

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, what Mark said! I'm glad you're here Mike, let me know when you are ready to go fishing!

Zakk

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Welcome Mike, hope you enjoy you stay here in North Carolina how ever long it might be !

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    your gonna love it mike! i lived in statesville NC for about a year with my dad from 88-89. everyone in that state seemed to treat you like their best freind, warmer climate, and gorgeous... GORGEOUS women!:lol: only bad thing was all the......SNAKES! BIG, UGLY, VENIMOUS ONES TOO!

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yea, I'm working on an old tobacco barn built in the 40's turning it into a shop. I have been working at night lately on it getting the grading done.
    One night last week I stood in the barn leaning on a shovel handle enjoying a cold beer and looked at some dirt I moved the night before.
    Something caught my eye so I bent down for a closer look.
    Once I saw what it was I looked up into the tier poles over my head.
    I had a visitor overnight and he left his skin hanging on a tier pole.
    4 foot black snake.
    I spent the next 20 minutes looking for him but since there arent any field mice in the barn I doubt he stayed long. He was just cruising through but I bet he aint far.

Last year on the same barn I was outside mortaring up the vent holes around the foundation. I was squated down mortaring away and turned to get some more mortar from the mortar pan and was staring face to face with a 6 foot black snake and thick as my wrist. Now that snake made me jump out of my skin.
    I guess he was wondering why I was blocking his door way up.

Back about 7 years ago we had two grand kids living with us both boys and I was working on the same barn and they played around and in the barn while I worked. a few days later the wife came to me with pieces of a snake skin she found in the dryer. Oh crap! a snake in the house. Only after had I moved the washer and dryer and had half the dryer taken apart looking for a snake did I come to my senses. The boys had found some snake skins in the barn and put them in their pants pocket.:eek:oooh:

Walked into an old wash house on the farm a few years ago looking a can of PVC glue. I turned around and me and a black snake were nose to nose. He was hanging from a rafter seeing who disturbed his nap. I eased on out of there singing lullabys.

This is the time of year you have to be careful. It is mating season and they all get aggressive.
    Even a black snake will advance toward you and bite you. I almost caught a bite on the face from one when I leaned over into the bed of the truck looking for one I knew had gotten in my truck by way of cinder blocks I was hauling. He missed my face by millimeters. I'll never forget that.

And then there is nothing like driving down your own driveway and seeing a freakish site that makes you stop and get out of the truck trying to decipher exactly what you are seeing.
    2- 5 foot black snakes mating in the middle of your driveway. Geeze, take it to the woods folks.

Mike, I just gotta say it . Welcome to the garden of Eden brother.

6. tammeej

tammeej New Member

State:
    NC
    Welcome Mike you are going to love it here.Ive been here about 18 months now and its great.There are all good people here at the forum to.Mark you gave me the chills with your snake stories, lol.Darn i hate snakes lol

7. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Man oh man are we glad to get him out of Ohio. LMAO

Just kidding, wish I would of had the chance to meet ya while you lived here brother. Glad you finially got the house sold and moved. Good luck in NC, some of the BOC's finest live there. I think Mark J also lives there too. LMAO

8. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi Mike! Welcome to NC! I have friends in Eden that I visit occassionally. Maybe we can all go fishing sometime.

9. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Mike, we have a rule,uh LAW here.
    All migates from the north, must buy the first cooler full, AND provide the grilled meal upon getting the grill unloaded and set up. Just call, we'll let ya know more.
    Welcome my brother from the north and good luck here. North Carolina has been good to me for the past 20 years or so I've lived here.

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    And Mike, if you put dead ones on live ones we'll send you packing back north.

11. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    Mike, just remember this is the "Tarheel" state. It isn't the "devil" state or the "duke" state..... It is Carolina Blue just like heaven. (Ok, I'm a little bit of a fan....)

WELCOME!

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Right on man! Go heels...:big_smile:

13. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Red sky at night is a sailor's delight.
    I'm more of a wolfpack red fan myself. GO MOO U.