North Carolina Channel catfish record?

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by wolfman, Apr 26, 2006.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I was reading the NC fishing regulations and noticed that there wasnt a channel cat listed in the state records. Surely someone has caught one in NC that would qualify or am Im missing something?

2. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Walter It will have to weigh at least 20 lbs to qualify in the state record book.

3. mack in n.c.

mack in n.c. Member

State:
    cary nc
    the state record was vacated because it was found out to of been a flathead......last year wildlife in nc did an article on state record fishes.....the man who had the record for channel cats is dead and someone at the publication contacted the family and got a photo of the catch......they published his photo of the fish,,,the state people didnt even reconize it as a flathead........i called scott vann horn(nc fish bioligist) as soon as i got the magazine..........he had already received several calls all stating that they belived it to be a flathead..........his phone then rang off the hook as fisherman looked at the photo......they reviewed the picture and declared it a flathead..........................the reason is was a bad record was that back in the old days the nc division of travel and tourism kept the records......then sometime in the past the ncwrc took over with the records.........the state people just inherited the record and just assumed it was really a legimate record....mack

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    very interesting, so...the next person to catch a 20 lb channel will have the state record, right?

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Yes Walter it would be a state record. The reason it has to be 20 lbs. is so the wildlife people won't have to keep changing paperwork. Say I caught a 14 lb. channel and it was a state record. Tomorrow you catch a 14 lb. 2 ounce channel, then they got to do the paperwork again.

6. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    I caught one on the neuse in february that was 19 1/2lbs, I was like MAN, why didn't you eat more today.

7. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    LOL Jay,
    You prolly could have released it and caught it a couple more times that day and it would have been over 20. Plus was it full of eggs?
    What did you catch it on?

8. Tomahawk

Tomahawk New Member

State:
    NC
    I know Badin lake has some big channels. Afew years ago I caught one that weighted out at 26lbs. I still got the pictures somewhere. Aslo caught several in the lower 20's. They get that big I think they just have to have the right food supply.

9. JAYNC

JAYNC Active Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    No it was in february so no eggs, I caught it on cut eel. I imagine its over 20 now, but I probably wouldnt even apply for the record unless it was at least 25lbs, one that was barely 20 wouldn't last that long.

10. CMJ

CMJ Guest

It may last longer than you think. Its been over a year since the record has been up for grabs and no 20 pounder turned in yet.

11. trfoster

trfoster New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well,thats all i need to hear,IM ON A MISSION NOW!:big_smile:

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have been trying to break the ten pound mark on a channel cat and that is hard enough!!

There are not that many 20 pound channel cats in NC. I think the state did a good job in setting the bar at 20 pounds. When it is finally set it will probably not be broken overnight.

13. Tarheel

Tarheel New Member

State:
    NC
    I agree. Fished LONG and HARD last year for channels and my two biggest were a 9 and 9.5 pounder. As soon as I break the 10 pound mark I am heading for the 20 pound mark!