North Carolina catfishing

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by young catfisherman, Jun 22, 2006.

1. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey,
    going to North carolina to visit my aunt and she lives in Cherry Point i guess their is a big river, any one been catfishin down around their? if so any good? and whats your biggest.
    thanks lookin to get some NC catfish!!!!:smile2:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Ok, where about is that in NC?

3. young catfisherman

young catfisherman New Member

State:
    ohio
    it is in a city named cherry point, i have been their and its a huge river i can figure out what its call tommorow.

4. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    That's the Neuse River and it's great fishing water

5. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah if you get to fish the Neuse River then you're in luck, it's awesome catfishing.

6. jimbob3445

jimbob3445 New Member

State:
    New Bern, North Carolina
    cherry point isn't a city it is a marine base, it is in havelock and the neuse river in havelock is saltwater or brackish you need to go more inland atleast new bern to get catfish in the neuse

7. Southernraised84

Southernraised84 New Member

State:
    Fayettnam, North Carolina
    theneuse is a good spot but if youget the chance hit the cape fear. In my opinion and to me thats the only thing that matters...lol with the cape you stand a better chance of catching more and bigger cats ( i know i am gonna get it for this one) but its true

8. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i have herd alot of good story,s about that river good luck

9. bigblaze

bigblaze New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey I could be wrong about this but I think since Mark J started keeping record of the cats caught between the Neuse and the Cape Fear..I believe the Neuse is definitely in the lead....

Anybody want to disagree....jaync, tammy sorry if I misspelled your name...there for awhile they were catching big flatties every trip out...

10. JAYNC

JAYNC New Member

State:
    Newport N.C.
    yes the cape fear does have some big cats in it but I have had all my good luck on the neuse. I have been to the cape probably about 10 times and the biggest fish was only about 21lbs. Almost every single time that I go to the neuse I catch fish over 30-40lbs. I'm not saying that the cape is a bad river to fish because its not but if you want more fish with higher weight the neuse is the river to fish. Last friday night I caught 5 flats with a total weight of 161lbs, 2 of them were over 40lbs.