North Carolina catfishermen

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by john barber, Jul 30, 2006.

1. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    WERE'S ALL THE N.C CAT'S fishers at

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

on my way to the lake now will be at Jordan.

3. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i'm in va but do alot of fishing in n.c.

4. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I'm right here, do most of my fishing for Giant Blue cats on Lake Gaston.

5. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am in Fayetteville, don't fish much except for a private lake that has channels up to 20 pounds (my dad has caught a few over 20, weighed with a scale).

6. Ghoulscout 13

Ghoulscout 13 New Member

State:
    North carolina
    im in spencer/salsibury

7. john barber

john barber New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey its good to meet some of the locals hope we can meet on the water soemtime.I live in duplin county but love to fish all over :big_smile:

8. karloskws

karloskws New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm in Southern Pines. I do ok at the lakes at Bragg / Mackall , I think some of the catfish lakes on post have been either overfished and not restocked or its just been too hot.
    I was looking at hitting the Lumber river one day when I don't have to work or maybe The Cape Fear sometime soon.

Karl

9. Cattledogz

Cattledogz New Member

State:
    NC
    We are in the Winston-Salem area and primarily fish High Rock Lake.

10. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Hi John....I'm in western NC, fished Lake Hickory last night. Got skunked:lol: Better luck next time, Catgirl! (hopefully!)

11. 01 Mudslinger

01 Mudslinger New Member

State:
    Gretna, Va
    Im in Fayetteville, dont fish bragg no more, mostly the cape fear, jordon and harris lake

12. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    greensboro here. fish the dan and kerr lake in v.a. mostly and still dont know nothing.

13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    We have been hitting the city lakes around Greensboro, High Point, Burlington and Reidsville. Good fishing in most cases but night fishing is limited to certain days and times of the year. Cats are good size channels and flats and are under harvested. I see 40 bass fishermen to every boat bottom fishing.
    We also have good luck on the Dan river. If you know were to fish there is a healthy cat population in Rockingham County and Southern Virgina on this river.

Cheers

14. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Are there any good spots for a bank bound fisherman on the Dan?

15. redneck-j

redneck-j New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Montgomery co. Fish mostly yadkin/pee dee chain

16. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Most of the river bank is private land. There is a wildlife boat landing just outsdie of Eden, NC that is public access. I have never fished there but I have seen guys there at night. One of the traditional bank fishing spots on the upper Dan is on River Road. This is a dirt road that runs off to the left just after you cross Settle's Bridge on Settle's Bridge Road near Wentworth. Once on River Road you go toward Madison for aprox. 1 mile. On the left hand side there is a wide shoulder with an obvious path to the river that is only 10 yards from the road at this point. Pretty popular fishing spot since I was a boy.
    We put in at the Eden boat landing and work up and down the river from there. Below the landing is a Duke Power dam and a low water river type impoundment so the river deepens here fast. Up the river you get back into natural river after passing the old pilings of a 1900 th century bridge. You can get a good size boat all the way up to Harrington Hwy. bridge. There is a class two current under the bridge but I take my 1648 Jon boat with a mud motor thru it and up to the bridge at US 220 North with no problem.

All in all some good fishing in the river around there. Below the dam at Eden the river gets big and deep pretty quick. There is a lack of public fishing access here to until the river gets to Danville. City park and fairgrounds near the tire plant is public access and is good catfish and striper fishing. However the river is full of snags so be sure and take lots of extra tackle.