North Canadian River

Discussion in 'OKLAHOMA RIVERS TALK' started by Phil Washburn, Apr 16, 2009.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    went down behind the house at noon for about an hour. it was up more than i expected, but fishable. very slow. just a few bites, but i only took some worms. caught a nice litttle 3.5lb channel the wife and i will have for supper:big_smile:

rain is forecast for tonite and tomorrow so it won't be fishable for a few days it we get that rain....hopefully we get enough to make them really open the tainter gates at eufaula in a few days...i have all my gear updated and upgraded...anyone that has been below the dam lately done any good?

what about you, Bill? did you camp down there?

2. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    you say it wont be fishable if it rains. i know that river can flood in a hurry but i can also assure you you can catch more catfish when the water is up & muddy. you'll need at least a 4 oz. sinker or bigger but the cats are feeding when the water is dirty & flowing. try it, you'll be suprised !

3. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Paul, i have a pretty limited area of the river available to me to fish. when it is up pretty good it takes a 5 ounce no roll sinker and puts it back on the bank with me:embarrassed:

in a couple of months it will be low and slow and i will catch some blues and flats in the evening or morning hours.:big_smile:

4. hog223

hog223 New Member

State:
    southern logan county ok
    that makes it tuff for sure. quite a few years ago we used to fish a place on deer creek & we had plans to go one night but we got about an inch or two of rain so my buddy bailed on me, i had the bait, chicken liver in pantyhose & i went without him. the water was up at least 2 foot higher than normal & was pure red mud color but beleave it or not i caught more fish that night then ever. my buddy got all fired up about my catch & we went back a couple nights later with the water down & caught nothing ! but you're right it can be tuff to fish fast water. sounds like you got it covered.

5. Stoneman187

Stoneman187 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    WE stayed for 2 weeks and had a ball. We met a couple new boc members and got fish every day save easter and the next sunday cause it rained all day those days. The skipps were plentyful and we never ran out of fresh bait. Tommy gave be a lot of skipps the days I got up later than him and it was great fun. We came home Tuesday afternoon and started getting ready for DeGray Gathering next week I hope you can come down there will be a big group Mike Holiday , Top, Jonny and Cassick about 40 or so brothers hope that you will come.

Bill

6. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    I might have to give the North Canadian a shot then. Sure beats sitting out at Thunderbird for 5 hours and catching 10 crappie. What all lives in that river besides catfish? All I hear about is catfish coming out of there, but never anything else

7. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    Man, must be nice to live close to the river!:smile2:

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    Joe, i will tell you what i have caught out of that river.:eek:oooh:

blues, channels, flatheads, carp, drum, turtles, gar, perch, hybrid(the wife caught that one - it was 2.5lb), small bass and even crappie. gar and cats are the most plentiful tho:big_smile:

9. fishinphenom

fishinphenom New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    this would be the same North Canadian/oklahoma river.. that passes through oklahoma city?

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    And, although Phil hasn't posted it, there are also bodies floating in the river, cars, trucks and other varmits. It does flow thru OKC about 40 miles before Phil's area of the river, that's where most of the junk comes from. LOL

11. oh_darn

oh_darn New Member

State:
    Nixa, MO
    Alright, thanks yall. I'll be hitting that river as soon as possible.

12. cat_daddy1

cat_daddy1 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Has anybody fished in the part of the river that runs right by downtown OKC where all those little locks are? I wonder if there is any fish down there. If not where is a good place on the river to fish in OKC?

13. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    finally had a little temp break today...only got up to high eighties:wink:

couldn't stand it anymore went down behind the house and fishe for a couple of hours. didn't get real serious, only took some worm and cut shad. nothing on the shad. caught a nice little 4lb channel on worms....he'll be dinner come sunday:big_smile:

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Phil, have you tried fishing it on rising water any?

15. lookin_4_moby

lookin_4_moby New Member

State:
    Guthrie, OK

I figured you boys would want some rain with that heat wave hangin over, I tried to go to my favorite spots when I was home last and the river was so far down my bait wouldn't sit 5 mins before a gar would run off with it. Can't wait to come back and try it again in the fall. good luck guys

16. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    yes i have, Mark. no luck. the river is so narrow around me, when it starts coming up it gets fast long before it gets wide. too much debris and water volume to do any good, unless i am doing ti wrong.(which is certainly possible)

17. Trevor1

Trevor1 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    In my opinion, the North and South canadian rivers are probably the dirtiest waters in the entire state. These rivers have towns from New Mexico to Eufaula Lake dumping into them.