North Branch Susquehanna River

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by jigerjim, Mar 19, 2007.

1. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    For the lack of something better to do I hit the Suskie, I just had too get out for a while. The river is still about 6' higher than normal and dirty. I fished about 4 hour's, the only thing that happened was 2 febal hit's nothin worth trying to set the hook on, it was just nice to be out there agen. I used cut bait (Golden Shiner) I did see my first Bald Eagle of the year. I guess you might it was opening day.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go jigerjim! Better days are ahead! I hear you about having to get out! That's cool that you saw a Bald Eagle! I plan on hitting the Allegheny tomorrow afternoon.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Well its only going to get better jim:smile2: .I couldnt even cast out from my area. This weekend i wont be able to fish the susquehanna cuz ill be up erie for steelhead. But next weekend ill be hitting it hard.
    Tight Lines....-rebelman

4. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Also i hear you guys using golden shiners....where do you get them????:0a21:

5. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Adam I get my Golden Shinner's in the winter time through the ice and then freeze them. I dont think there as good frozen as they are fresh, but that's the best I can do. In the spring time when I'm fishin for Crappie I catch them as well, when and if that happen;s I off to the river the next day.
    I went over to the river agen today, the condition's were worse than yesterday, more debree, still a lot of wind but from a different direction. I did manage to get one on the beach, I had a few light tap's but no hook up's. The one I got was 27" No Eagle's this time.

6. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    way to go!! thats what i like to see, and it can only get better! i have been settling for some small bass but they have been hitting pretty good with 10 yesterday in 30 mins and 2 today in 25 mins. tight lines!

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    jigerjim - Nice Channel Cat! A 27" is a real beauty!:big_smile: Thanks for the report and photo!

8. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

im glad to see your getting the cats:lol: you must be using alot of weight(2 oz?)I know where i can get them shiners, i catch them when i use my fly rod down at lilly lake. thanks for the tip and report jim-rebelman

9. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Adam I use 2 oz all the time even though I fish in an eddy I still use that amount just to get farther out plus I can keep a tighter line that way. I use Abu 6600c's on 7' rod's rated for 1 1/2 2 oz.

10. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    I fished the same place today, the river went down about 2' what a mess. As I was reaching for a fish I took a header into the mud, I sunk in up to my wrist burreing my reel and most of the rod, This might of made a good vido to show on U tube. I did manage 2 Cat's and missed 5 other's plus I got 1 Eye all on cut bait. I did learn a lesson though, I was useing the same bait from Tue.,I guess that's why they kept droping it. I changed over to fresher bait and then they hung on to it. But by that time the bite was purty much over. Bait was Cut Golden Shinner's. Liver did nothin.

11. HARVRAD2003

HARVRAD2003 New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    I'll be moving to Bloomsburg Pa. in June, don't know when I'll have an opportunity to fish this year but I was wondering if this area is a good place to fish for cats.

12. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Haveing some spare time I went back to where I was on Thur. The river came up about 4' this is a good thing, now I dont have to mess with the mud. I used cut bait agen. This time I wound up with 8 Channels running from 25 to 27". For the most part I only used 1 rod, that kept me bissy enough. Here's a few pix. Welcome spring 07

13. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Fished 25th from 7:30pm-1200 am got two bites thats all on nightcrawlers :angry: Went fishing the 26th from 11:00pm-1:30am one bite thats all on cut bait. I had to use 2 oz and that still moved around untill it found a spot to stop. Welp so far so bad hopefully have better luck the 30th and 31th!

14. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Go jigerjim! You are the Man!:worship: :worship: :worship: I tip my hat to you for being the 1st person to catch Cats in Pa. each year!:worship: :worship: :worship: I wish I lived closer to you because I would love to spend a day fishing and picking your brain!:big_smile:

15. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Went down to the susquehanna and my spot is under water! I wont be fishing probably till saturday :angry:

16. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    What brain, it's all emty up there.:big_smile: There's only a few spot's you can fish up here right now, Just so happens I'm lucky enough to live neer one of them.

17. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Adam Look for an eddy, they dont have to be big, maybe only a few hundred square ft., they like to lay in there and rest, you dont need too much weight there eather, maybe only 1/2 oz.

18. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

yea im kinda stuck using minnows from the local bait shop and cutting them up for cut bait cuz i cant fish anything yet for cut bait cuz of the damn trout season coming up most places are closed till april 14th.... i'll be trying 3-4 inch shiners cut up i guess hopefully i will get them like that....im going to cabelas saturday maybe ill try some dip baits. Any suggestions?:embarassed:

19. jigerjim

jigerjim New Member

State:
    North East Pa.
    Adam 3-4" shiners will work, but if you can get bigger ones. Is there a small pond neer you, if so get a few gill's, Crappie, Perch, suckers, what ever, then cut them up into chunks. As far as dip bait's I never used them, I used dough baits before, I only ever got cat's in one pond with that, I never got a touch in any other pond.

You might want too leeve your mony home when you go to Cabelas:lol: YEA LIKE THATS GONA HAPPEN:crazy:

20. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Yeah only thing i hate about that place is that when i leave there im broke :big_smile: