North American Fishing Club "Catfishing Strategies"

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TXBlueHunter, Apr 17, 2006.

1. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Has anyone read this book? I just finished it and have to say it is a good read. Many useful tips and information.

Those that have read it what do you think?

2. Rainman4u2

Rainman4u2 Guest

I have it, and "Secrets of Catfish Pro's" I must say, to be completely honest, there is more information on this site than they could put in either of those books.

Ray

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Search the library on this site! It is amasing, there is so much usefull info. I made my custom rod holders last week (found the idea on this site) along with alot of other info. Check it out!:)

4. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree with Raymond, Theres more information on this site than any of those pro books . the BOC has more information than anyone can think of. Oh i forgot the pros know it all. :) ....

5. TXBlueHunter

TXBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Flower Mound, Texas
    Oh do not get me wrong, nothing beats the BOC for information but I have read lots of fishing books and this one has stood out for me.

6. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I have not read it. I do know that most books and articles are very generic in nature, and that is good for the new fisherman who is looking for a good foundation of knowledge.

If I had a specific question about catfish behavior or fishing technique, this website would be the first place I came to.

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    I have two books on catfishing. One is by In-Fisherman, "Catfish Fever" the other by Keith Sutton. I think it's called "Catfishing". Both books are good but the one from In-Fisherman is a little better. I also have four videos from In-Fisherman on Catfishing. All four are excellent. My fishing partner, who has been chasing Big Cats for a number of years, gave me the In-Fisherman book and videos. After our first trip together, he told me he learned all his fishing methods and location methods from the book and videos. He suggested I read the book, watch the videos, and then apply what I learned on "my river". I did. It worked. He also suggested re-reading different sections of the book until I completely understood what was being said. I did. It worked.

Now, I'm not any better or smarter at catching catfish than anyone else. However, applying the knowledge gained from these two books and these four videos has helped me learn to locate fish, set up my boat in the proper location, and present my bait effectively for the correct amount of time. In so doing, I have caught many Blue and Channel catfish over 20# (which is the water mark I am shooting for) and in one month last summer, I caught a 29#, 35#, and 62# Blue. The day I caught the 62# blue, I also caught two 10+lb blues and one 8lb channel. Folks, that's 90# of fish in one morning. Anyone can do what we do. It's a real simple method. We target actively feeding fish. Where do you find actively feeding fish? At the head of holes. How long do you stay on a hole? Fifteen minutes minimum and usually 15 minutes maximum. Sometimes, the fish are a little slower to bite. On days like that, let the fish tell you how long to stay. For example, If I set up on a hole and don't get bit within 10 minutes, I am suspecting I will not get bit. If at 14 minutes I get bit or catch a fish, I'll add another five to 10 minutes for each hole set. I never stay longer than 30 minutes unless I'm catching fish from that hole. Once I go 15 minutes without a bit or a catch, I move. Catfish are actively feeding well past daylight almost every day. The activity usually slows around 10 am. Mid-day is the slowest most of the time but not always. Activity usually picks up again around 4:00 pm. During mid-day hours, I usually fish cut bait on two rods and dip bait on a third. Catching a few eater sized cats at mid-day is a good way to fill in the gap between activity periods. I caught my first 20+lb blue at 3:30 pm in August and the air temp was 105. I was the only guy on the river.

8. tomoryears7919

tomoryears7919 New Member

State:
    Hillsboro, OHIO
    Hello everyone, could anyone please teel me where I can get my hands on some catfishing videos? I am a rookie at fishing for flats and blues and am wanting to get all the info I can.

9. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    I've got to agree with a lot of what Arkie55 says. The best teacher is in my opinion, experience. You may not start out catching 20lbers. but if you keep at it you'll get your share. The weather, water conditions, location,( not by state but by river location, brush, rocks, shallows) presentation of bait, type of bait, and a whole lot more factors in to where I want to fish, and where the fish actually are. I wouldn't love it half as much as I do if it was easy. Honestly I believe everyone here wants that challenge every time we set a pole in that holder. I'm from the old school, before fish finders could be purchased over the counter, and "shakers" went right back in the water.
    Just keep on fishin.
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the world.