North American Fisherman

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Silverwmark, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Silverwmark

Silverwmark New Member

State:
    Ohio
    In the most recent issue of this magazine, I read where two editors were flathead fishing in February and one of them caught a 40+ flathead jigging a spoon. Have I been missing something here?
    Mark

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have read several articles about pro fishermen using crank baits, and other artificial baits to catch flatties. They eat mostly live fish, so it's understandable that this works in some areas where the water is not too muddy. A state record flattie was caught on a jig here in Mo. several years back. I wouldn't give up the live bait because of this, but if you know what you are doing, artificial baits do work.

3. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What kind of jig is the best for this? I have caught some on artificial worms and plastic lizards. I have also caught them on meps.

4. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    I few years back I went with a friend to catch flathead the day after the superbowl, we went to a water outlet this was just let out a little water. I'm a bass fisherman 75% of the time. We used 1/2 oz bass jigs and rip the rattles and skirts off. I got a pack of Zoom Flukes in white pearl color and put them on the jig heads. He caught 2 flatheads 35lb & 13lb, I froze me a$$ off and didn't catch nothing but gar, I did roll 2 flatheads but didn't get them in.

The bite was not a hard hit but more like you had a bunch of leafs on the line. We just bouced them on the bottom of the outlet. Use light line so you can feel more, we used 17 big game.

5. kylerm78

kylerm78 New Member

State:
    Spring Hill/ Edgerton ks
    I just watched a if fisherman video with them jigging for flats. Thet claimed once you find a bunch of them in a big hole that you would just tear them up like taking candy fom a baby. Has anyone done this

6. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have never done this myself but i have heard the stories of guys taking big flatties on crank baits also... seen a few picks of some monsters that were supposedly caught on lures... and i believe it.. it can happen.... sure would like to see that video ur talking bout though...

7. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The In-Fisherman deal was alleged by many to be finding the wintering cats, and snagging them with the jig.

Are any of the fish "fair-hooked"?

They talked about this in an article Frosty Flatheads.Complete bull if you ask me. Flatheads are pretty much totally inactive until the water starts warming in the spring.

Shawn

8. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    I was just researching that recently, and about 40% of fish caught were foul-hooked, if I remember right. The rest got winched up to the surface like they were sunken logs.
    It may be a way to catch some fish when nothing else works, but it sure doesn't look like its any fun, and it REALLY isn't what I love about catfishing.
    I actually think it was kind of irresponsible of them to film & print such a thing, because they come right out and say "you can really deplete the population by doing this effectively".
    I expect better from the likes of Doug Stange...

9. bigkittyhunter

bigkittyhunter New Member

State:
    illinois
    I know a BIG time salmon fisher on lake michigan and he nailed a 15 pound channel on a trolling spoon when trolling of the bank.