Norman Catfishing Friday Night

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by price, May 3, 2008.

1. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I went fishing from 6:30 PM until 1:00 AM. I caught 8 blues from 5-18 LB's, and one channel cat about 6 LB's. Using shad, herring, and live bream for bait. Caught a flathead off a large herring head that was 43" and weighed close to 40 LB's. Soon after that I caught my best flathead of my life, and I would assume it ranks up there with the biggest flathead ever caught at Norman. Flathead hit a large live bream near rocky cover in 10 feet of water. Fish was 49 1/2" long with a large girth. I only brought my 50 LB scales and bottomed them out. I knew the fish would be close to a record (lake and state) and took the fish home in my homemade 45 gallon livewell. On my brothers scales at his farm (he uses to weigh feed) the flathead weighed out at 68 LB's. Not a state record (78 LB's) but close, and I do think it is as big a flathead as has been caught at LKN. Anyone that knows some top flathead weights from Norman weigh in. I will post pictures from my wife's camera later today or tomorrow. I was in my home town of Marion with the fish, he was alive when weighed, but I worried about a return trip to Norman. I gently placed him in my brothers pond and he swam slowly away. I do know that he will be well taken care of there, and is alive. I just felt he was so close to a record that I brought him back. A great lake Norman flathead.

2. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    thanks for the report,that is a nice un for sure:wink:,look foward to seeing the pics

3. price

price New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Pictures of the flathead Friday night.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Phillip that is one heck of a fish. That had to have your heart racing when you brought her to the surface. :big_smile:

5. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Congrats on the fish glad to hear you had your self a good trip, sounds like you had your self a fun time and was able to catch some fish good luck from here on out and hopefully you will be able to catch some more fish.

6. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Great outing, you are the man of the week and maybe more. Thanks for the report. Mac

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Here are some pics of the beast!!! :eek:oooh:

Attached Files:

8. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    nice catch i havent fished norman much in my life , i think i might have to learn that lake ,, again nice fish congratulations

9. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thats a Great Fish Phillip !!! Congrats. J.D.:wink: