Noodling!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by aggie2305, Apr 22, 2007.

1. aggie2305

aggie2305 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Wow,

I just saw a video on people noodling for cats in the base of sunken trees, and that is some hardcore stuff! They stick there arms down there and just wait to be hit. Just wondering if any of yall have ever tried this, or how crazy/where you have to be to do it?

2. Ghost River

Ghost River New Member

State:
    Carolina
    Yeah I've done it a few times for the big ones in MO when I was in college there. We've got a shallow river here at the house with lots of shoals. In the heat of summer we grabble for the small ones under the rocks. We catch a lot of those little yellow river cats. the biggest probably a pound.

3. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yes, I've done it. Been injured badly, and don't do it anymore. Props to those who do (legally, and ethically) though. They are tougher than me.

4. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    Matt, what happened?

Noodling is something I want to try once in my life....just like skydiving. Just want to experience the rush. I am just deathly afraid of a snapping turtle or pit of poisonous snakes in a hole.

5. fcrnnngbck25

fcrnnngbck25 New Member

State:
    Lafayette, Indi

Same here and the stories of disaster you always here. I'd probly be scared a big gar would snatch hold of me around here. I just don't have to balls to do that. I'd do alot of things but sticking my hand in a hole i'm not sure what's in doesn't exactly appeal to me.

6. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    Snakes, turtles, and gar are not to be feared. Snakes, and turtles breath oxygen, and will not be inside a hole in the bank. Gar won't be in there either, and would flee from you anyway. Sticking your hand into a beaver den would be a mistake though. I've posted this before, but what got me was the fish I grabbed was inside of a rusted out water heater. Because of the moss and sedement, I did not know until it was too late what I was reaching into. Got multiple lacerations from the water heater, not to mention the fish stripped the skin off my entire hand when I tried to get my hand out while my arm was being shredded. I guess to some, the danger is part of the rush, but not to me. I was not happy. Now, if I cannot catch a fish on a hook, it will remain in the water. Don't let me stop you, but there are real dangers involved.

7. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Do noodlers practice cpr?

I have my doubts.

8. KingCatBrad

KingCatBrad New Member

State:
    Duncan, Oklaho
    Well I don't know about the rest of them but me and my buddies all practice CPR on any thing over 10 pounds.

9. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    I'm not quite sure what CPR has to do with noodling.......But you men and your hormones........make you do STRANGE things......:roll_eyes:

10. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Women should talk!:wink:

CPR= Catch, Photograph, and Release.

11. kat in the hat

State:
    Missouri
    I don't noodle, nor practice CPR. I learned my lesson, and also found that even when noodling, alot of times the fish wins. There's nothing easy about it. So burn me at the stake too. A fish caught, is a fish caught regardless of method. I eat fish, or I wouln't bother messing with them, but that's just me. Harvesting fish is an important aspect of conservation also. Every fishery has differing conservation needs.

12. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I eat fish, too. Lots and lots.

Just can't go along with killing fish as old as I am. Call it empathy.:tounge_out:

13. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Gosh Dave, you need to go back to bed and get up on the other side. I, for one, have caught over 50 flatheads over 20 pounds by noodeling. Two of them went to a disabled man's skillet - the rest were released. Would have taken pictures but I lost my camera when the boat turned over...so, I guess you can say these were caught and released.

Sportsmen who noodle generally have a bad reputation - they are destroying the catfishing for the rest of the sportsmen. I mean, what they don't catch get caught on jugs and trot lines, so the pole fishermen don't have a chance at all. I think this picture depends upon who is doing the drawing...you can color whatever you want. There is plenty of room in this country for every fisherman, no matter which preference that individual may have.

Hey Mickey, we are generally all right, so, stick around and join in the topics as you desire. Your opinion is just as important as mine or any one elses.

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    I must be mistaken...I was under the impression that CPR is widely practiced and endorsed by the members here. I think it's a good idea, no matter how the fish is taken.

Mea Culpa, with regard to my feelings on noodling. It targets big spawners, at a time when they are most vulnerable, and even if they are released, the impact of the disruption on the spawn is not at all clear. It can't be good for the fishery.

15. KATMANDETTE

KATMANDETTE New Member

State:
    Cedar Key, Florida
    Ok, today I have learned about CPR. Thanks for sharing the info.:confused2: