noodling

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by mtrimble, Oct 21, 2005.

1. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I thought that a section on noodling would be appropriate here. Ive been noodling in the early summer for a few years now. In that time ive found certain types of sticks are better than others for checking holes. A straight stiff and water logged stick seems to be the best. What are some of the techniques you guys use?
    > Do you worry about over-harvesting? I began to worry about that this year and started leaving alot of the monsters alone. Whats the deal with noodling channels being illegal? It seems the put up a much more viscious fight for their size. Also, channels are not the top level predators like flatheads are so it seems like noodling them wouldnt be as harmful to a stream ecosystem and what not. In my opinion the state needs to start stocking flatheads.
    > Anybody had much luck noodling in or under log jams? What other types of habitat (rocks ect) and conditions do you look for and what conditions do you avoid? I once noodled for a few hours in very stagnant water and ended up with an infection in my nipple and my cousin ended with an infection in his ear or something.
    > My cousin and I thought it might be a good idea to start bringing a long rubber hose with us in case we ever get pinned down under the water. Then we could still have oxygen. Do any of you guys use such safety measures? > Also, what are some of the strange encounters you guys have had with other animals? Beavers, snakes, turtles cows.
    That ought to be enough to get a discussion started.

2. willisjj

willisjj Guest

When I was a kid, my dad used to set out barrels which would sink down into the mud and attract the fish. He would then run the barrels, usually in 3-4 ft. of water although some were deeper which he usually used a scuba tank to check. Be prepared to recieve a negative remark or two, there always is when you make a post about noodling. I don't care what you say, there is nothing wrong with it. I don't keep any big fish anyway, no matter what method I use to catch them but if I want to, I will keep any size and any number as long as it is legal. Anyway, be careful and watch out for those snappers. That hose might be a pretty good idea. You should never noodle alone of course, but even with someone there, it can still be dangerous and that hose might be just the thing to give you an extra minute or two to get you clothes unhooked from that snag.

When you get a chance, you ought to update your profile so we can tell where you are from. Just go up above here and click on "User CP", then on the next screen, click on "edit profile" on the left side there and you can add some details in there so that we know who we are talking to. Good luck with your noodlin and talk to you later!

3. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Yea Jeremy Ive heard some of the gripes about noodling. Usually from people without much knowledge about it.
    Its not an easy thing. The largest fish we have caught took my cousin and I about five hours to get. It was far back under a huge rock slap about 4 feet under the water. The opening to its lair was small but the inside was huge and that fish had plenty of space to battle with us. Between that fish and the sharp sandstone we were pretty tore up after it was all said and done. Its may seem strange but that experience and others has put the flathead catfish in a special place in my heart. When you noodle you get up close and personal with catfish and you must think like a catfish. For me this has resulted in a deeper respect and even sympathy for catfish.

Got the profile thing fixed and ill try to get a picture up soon.

4. willisjj

willisjj Guest

That gets my blood to pumping just thinking about it. Yep, it gives you a certain respect for em and a big sense of accomplishment once you bring it out of the water. I don't keep fish that big wether they are caught by hand or by rod n reel. Not worth killing in my opinion, mainly because they are too much trouble to clean, and they just don't taste as good as the small "eaters". Be that as it may, I ain't going to say nothing to someone that does keep em. They may be at the top of their food chain but we are the top of "the" food chain and they ain't even endangered to begin with. We ain't gonna run out. Anyway, thats a different topic. Maybe we can get together one of these days and go.

5. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Never tried noodlin boys,dont know if I got the guts!I surely dont see nothin wrong with it,just keep it safe.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Ain't ya'll afraid of finding some snakes in there? I have heard both stories, they don't bite under water and / or the snakes den up under water while they mate and will mess you up !
    I have never tried this method if fishin' before, but it do sound exciting !

7. HoosierPoleCat

HoosierPoleCat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Just want to to say hi to my twin T-Bone. My names is T and everyone calls me T-Bone :rock-big:

8. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    SUP! Bone-Man, never too many of us T-Bones to go around..... Glad to know ya...

9. willisjj

willisjj Guest

For you Okie noodlers, here is what the state regs say:

NOODLING: Noodling is the taking of nongame fish only by use of hands only. Possession of hooks, gaffs, spears, poles or ropes with hooks attached while in the act of noodling shall be proof of violation of the “hands only” noodling law. Noodling shall be lawful year-round in all waters unless restricted under “SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS.”

I thought I would throw this in as I just read an article about 3 guys getting cited for use of poles with hooks attached. I have seen these used and although I have never used them, I didn't even realize they were illegal and I guess it is a pretty considerable fine. It makes sense when you think about it as you could seriously injure, if not kill the fish when using these poles or gaffs.

10. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I was about to post a thread asking how many people on here noodle but glad I did a search and found this one. I think it should be moved to a better place where more would see it and possibly post from other states, etc. I just read about this in the past year and found the subject fascinating. (at least to read about) Not sure I would do it unless I was hungry but then I am a woman. I've even found sites where women are shown noodling and know they do it, I guess personally I wouldn't do it but do not condemn anyone else for doing it. I believe I would enjoy watching someone else noodle. LOL, that just didn't sound right. Sorry I type like I speak sometimes.

After reading the article in a catfishing mag I buy, I thought about it and realized it's definitely not a new thing, just has a new name. The Indians definitely did it by hand or spear.

Thanks for an interesting read from everyone and if the mods are reading, I hope they move it to a more viewed section. Thanks again! :thumbsup: :0a24: :0a31:

11. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

Forget it!,I'm not falling for that one. I may noodle,but NOT with a catfish!

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I agree with those regs. That long ordeal I spoke of in the above post would have been nothing if we had something to gaff the big guy with. Less memorable. Less sportsmanlike. Less respectful. I really dont like the idea of spearing or gaffing a helpless fish without giving him a chance to fight. And like you said Jeremy, It eliminates any chance of releasing them. We kept a few smaller fish this year. We released the monsters and a couple of them we caught again weeks later in the same hole. I think some of the top dog males spawn more than once. Its especially important to release the big females since the number of eggs they lay increases exponentially with size and it also takes females longer to mature. You can tell the females apart from the males by their greater girth, they are fat and wide. Males are longer and slimmer. This basic difference is greater during spawning season since there is a good chance the male has gone a while without food.