Noodling

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by matt_k_a, Aug 20, 2006.

1. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    anyone ever gone noodling?

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i have and it was great, i could have gone to NC and been on TV. but that was b4 i ever went, and i didnt have a way to get there, so yeah... what u wanna know. ill get back in touch ASAP going to bed now.

3. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    i REALLY wanna try it but i dont really know what im doing so i'll wait till i find somebody with a little bit of experience

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Next weekend, Aug 25, 26 and 27, the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife is going to be conducting a "noodling" clinic at the Lazy E Arena, appx 7 miles south of Guthrie on I-35. It is Free. But you have to register first. Don't need on OK license, as I understand it, as you will only be observing. Check it out...

http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/wildlifeexpo.htm

5. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That shouldn't be so difficult just look for guys with missing fingers or a missing hand. Did you know a snapping turtle with just a simple bite can break bones. It's bite is even more powerful than a shark bite.

Oh please allow me to stick my hands into holes where turtles and snakes live.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ive gone two times before. Caught 4# channel and 10# flathead. Its alot of fun. Of course it takes a certain type of person to do it. Ive been bitten by more types of snakes, bugs, turtles, lizards,even frogs than just about anyone, so ive lost most of my fear of animal bites.

Its really a simple concept, catfish will find any sort of structure they can during the day. You find this structure, in an area your able to handle(not too deep, very little or no current, etc). If it has many, or big escape holes, youll prolly not get a fish. If the entrance is small, then your in luck. You block the entrance and feel around with hand, foot, arm, leg or whatever. Catfish will do 1 of 2 things. Run for the exit, or bite down on your hand. Usually depends on the size of the fish, and the reason there in the hole. If its spawning time, they will bite, defending the hole. If its not spawning season they will sometimes just try and run. Also it seems that when the fish are smaller, maybe under 4# or so, they tend to try to run, where as bigger fish want to defend there spot and will bite. The rest is just experience, and your situation. Youll try and grab them anyway possible.

My personal advise/notes. Only something like 13 states allow noodling, so check your laws. Second some states will not allow any gear(pole,air tank,etc). Third, these fish are in the hole for a reason, alot of the times breeding. Be responsible, on size and amount of fish you take, as this method of taking fish is about as close to shooting fish in a barrel as it gets. And always take a buddy. Ive heard tales about people having a large fish grab there arm and not releasing, and the person drowning. And theres always the chance of snakes, turtles, and beavers.

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    i saw a video of catfish noodling once. i think its awesome but i would definately never try it. lol. it freaks me out not knowing whats in the hole that im sticking my hand into!

8. jmfraz

jmfraz New Member

State:
    Houston, Texas
    I am with you Tom. There isn't no way I'm gonna stick my arm in something that might take a piece of it off. The unkown scares me. My buddy has some videos he bought off the internet of folks noodling and it looked like they were having a ball, but it just ain't for me.

9. Cutshad

Cutshad New Member

State:
    Newalla, Oklahoma (Shawnee)
    POINTER: Use a stick before you stick your hand in the hole! It works very well and you can tell whats in the hole before you stick your arm in it.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Remember the firest time you rode a bicycle. Remember how scared you was. Remember the first time you soloed in your parents car. Remember how scared you were. Remember how you felt when you told your parents you had a fender-bender. Remember how scared you were the first time you kissed a girl (gosh, I am still scared of that). You get over the feeling after the first or second time you noodle. If you learn from someone who is not macho, but a considerate person, you learn noodling is a fun sport. The fear of the unknown always get the adrenalin flowing, but once you go ahead and get it over with, you get such a pleasant feeling. No, noodling is not for everyone, but those who do it are not weird, or nuts, nor should they be committed. Laugh at them all you want... after all, they snicker a lot about the ones too scared. LOL

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That is why you check with a nice and sensitive stick before you stick your hand in. Ive had more trouble with bacteria than I have had with larger critters. One time I got stuck in the current rolling around with a rotten pig carcas. Both my cousin and I got sick as hell from that. Noodled around beaver dens on occassion and never had any trouble with beavers attacking. They will clack their teeth at you from within their den, however. Kinda funny. Check out the Oklahoma section for more info about noodling.

12. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I have gone before I love it!:big_smile: but my mom dosnt am hoping to get a venom extracter soon got to find somone to go with so
    I can go for the big ones so far just gone for the small ones & grabbed
    em been bit by a turtle once its illegal in texas so I do it on private property

13. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I would love to try it...I guess it would be ok as long as you went with friends that would look out for ya.

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    A good idea is to bring a long segment of rubber hose with you . That way you can breath if you get pinned under the water. Every year a couple of guys will die here in OK while noodling. It is always due to drowning.

15. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I Don't Agree With Or Support Noodling, I Think It Is Un-Ethical, But Go Ahead And Stick Your Hand Up In That Hole !!!