Noodling with a stick

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by TX Fisherman, Dec 27, 2006.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    i heard you can noodle with a stick, and ive always wanted to noodle, but im too much of a wimp to do it with my hands... can u do it with a stick?

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I have seen noodlers use a stick to 'work' the fish out a hole or from under a large rock. But I would assume you would have to use your hands to grab the fish??? I have never noodled before and I don't want to try.

3. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
  4. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    It's illegal in TX. The stick is for locating the fish, then it's all you and your bare hands otherwise it's unsporting. Some might say it's unsporting anyway. I say those people have never grabbed a big flathead, or they would know it's much, much easier just to fish for them. I tried it, got injured, and learned my lesson. Don't noodle fish unless you are willing to pay the price. I am not!!!

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Right, the stick is for locating the fish and then getting the fish into a position to get him out of his hole.

I'm not much of a noodler. Wood18 will tell you, I'm a ninny when it comes to noodling. When I noodle, I use a stick. I'll use one hand to feel for holes, and once I locate a hole I jab the stick in it. If there's a fish in the hole, he'll hit the stick. You can also use the stick to make a fish mad enough to come to the head of a hole if he's in the back. Or, you can jab the fish with the stick to get him turned where you can get hold of him.

That's the skinny.

Jerrod

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Seems as though I remember the OK regulations saying you cannot use anything but your hands. I know this eliminates a hay hook or hand gaff, and the way it reads, I think it would also eliminate the willow/tamarack limb. Only way to find out is to get caught doing it and see what the warden says. I'm too old to noodle now, but still respect the rights of those who do.

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Lawrence, thanks for saying something about the Ok regs. Until recently, you was able to use a hook/gaff in 2 counties during a short season. Anyway, I just looked and looks like can't use any hook of any kind now.

"NOODLING: Noodling is the taking of nongame fish only by use of hands only. Possession of hooks, gaffs, spears, poles or ropes with hooks attached while in the act of noodling shall be proof of violation of the “hands only” noodling law. Noodling shall be lawful year-round in all waters unless restricted under “SPECIAL RESTRICTIONS.”"
    Will

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I know noodling is legal year round, but your not gonna find many noodlers in the water from about October to March. LOL. And, if it is not during the spawn, your not going to find many noodlers at the lakes and rivers. I grant they catch a lot during the spawn, and that they destroy al lot of this years and future year spawns by keeping the fish. But, as I said, It is a relative short period of time that they can catch the large fish, and the pole anglers have all year to do it. I would imagine that for every noodler in the U.S., there are probably 25 (or more) pole anglers. Wonder who catches and keeps most of the fish?

9. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    thanks, i didnt know it was illegal here in texas, thanks for letting me know b4 the game warden let me know with a citation:smile2: .

10. WOOD18

WOOD18 New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    Jerrod You Get The Job Done.
    The Only Problem I Have Is When I Get After A Truly Big Fish, I Get Excited And Can't Hold My Breath As Long.

11. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the stick is used for when noodlers get out when the flatheads are first getting on the nests in late june. in late june there will still be male channelcat and bluecat on the nests and that's what the stick is for to probe around in the holes to save your fingers because ya don't want to stick your hand in a channelcat or bluecat's nest because they're vicious and have a lot more powerful bite than people realize when they're on the nests. you can tell if it's a channel or blue on the nest when you run the stick in there because it's a pretty violent reaction and they'll knock the paint off the broom handle prods that are used. after the first of July then the prods usually aren't necessary.

in 1982 a male channelcat ended my noodling carrier ... I was out about the middle of the third week of june noodling and I was probing under rocks and came to a good sized hole under a rock with only one opening and I ran my hand up in there and WHAM! a big ole male channel hit me and I jumped back a little and pulled my hand out of the water to inspect the damage of my bleeding fingers when I just got the hand out of the water WHAM AGAIN ... that sucker came out from under that rock and nailed me on the right nipple and gave me the mother of all twisters. it hit my nipple and turned my inny to an outtie in a matter of about 1/4 of a second in which time he grabbed that rascal and made about two full turns before it ripped out from between it's teeth. I've not went noodling since then ... I figured I can catch enough off rod n reel rather than to go through that kinda pain ... I still bear the outtie to this day.

12. Bill D Curtis

Bill D Curtis New Member

State:
    Blackwell Oklahoma
    Everyone seems to have the right idea about the stick and it is legal to use a stick to prod the fish around. But on a differnt note I think that Texas is in the prosess of making noodling legal and I have also heard that Kansas has already made it legal for 2007

13. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sorry but couldn`t help but bust out laughing when i read your post rep to you:lol:

14. riverdawg-1

riverdawg-1 New Member

State:
    salem, va
    I have never noodled for cats, but last night i was flipping channels and on country fried home videos there was a clip of several good looking girls in bikinis trying to noodle these huge flatheads. Now that was fun to watch:big_smile:

15. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thanks Ed

some 25 years later I still have nightmares about that hahaha.

16. daniel-delarosa

daniel-delarosa New Member

State:
    seminole, oklahoma
    I release all the cats I noodle, unless I need to re-stock the freezer. I only kept one this summer.

17. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I always thought noodling was by hand?

18. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I'll bet that was funny to watch.lol

I would love to try it. Just aint ever had time to go do it. Seems I'm all ways fishin.lol