Noodling - This may be old news, but..

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by OsageCountyCatman, Jul 9, 2006.

1. OsageCountyCatman

OsageCountyCatman New Member

State:
    Osage City, KS
    I was over on the KDWP blog and it looks like they're looking for public comment on legalizing hand fishing for certain areas in Kansas plus an additional license/fee.

It was posted back in March. Anyone knows where this is at right now with the Department?

2. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

first i have heard of it, but i hope it passes!!!!!

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    wish they would do that in ohio

4. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Illegal in Nebraska also, with no such word on a possible legalization. Doubt it will happen either, don't know anyone that noodles here, although TA2D keeps telling himself he's going to try :lol:

SudDawg

5. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I could go into a soapbox speech about how all these years it has been such a sin to noodle, but if we can charge an extra fee for it (aka,third pole) its suddenly OK. I'd love to see them make noodling legal in Kansas and I'd even pay their stupid fee, providing it wasn't so high as to make it unrealistic. Its nice to see that KDWP is beginning to get some new blood into their program and listening to some reasonable ideas. Good for them and good for us!

6. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Money talks thats for sure!
    Realistically, there really wont be that many people getting the extra license if it passes to generate a substantial amount of revenue.

7. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I went to the hearing in Junction City last May, it was not a Parks and wild life proposal.I am not sure who the group was that want it. There was not much support for it from the people there.

8. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    The discussion over on the blog was mixed, leaning toward opposition. A lot of the opposition was over the damage done yanking monster male flathead off their nests during the spawn. It seems the same people had no problem doing the same thing with a rod and reel, trotline or limbline but handfishing was a moral faux pas.

I've never noodled, my old man did in his youth in Southern Illinois. I've always thought that noodling was a little dangerous for what you get out of it. Per the proposal the Kaw would be opened up for handfishing. I haven't heard of a drowning on the Kaw in years but IMHO that'll change with this new regulation.

My $.02

9. DorianGre

DorianGre New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I saw some guys on TV a few years ago reaching into holes and pulling out cats. As far as I am concerned, there are too many snakes around here for me to stick my hand into a hole in the riverbank.

10. OsageCountyCatman

State:
    Osage City, KS
    There's a few guys around Osage here who do it. They're easily recognized as their hands and arms are scarred to the elbows and missing a finger or two.:angry:

I'm not so hungry that I need to be reaching in every flooded muskrat den, beaver lodge or submerged hollow log for a meal. Them things hold Muskrats, Beavers and Turtles that enjoy finger foods.:eek:oooh:

11. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I am not a big fan of making it legal at all, I do not believe there is a whole lot of sport to it, and I think it hurts the big fish population by removing the genetic wonders from the gene pool.

That being said, I don't think making it legal or selling permits for it would really change anything. The people who are going to noodle, for the most part, are already doing it, and have been doing it for years. The legalization of it, will only make the honest folks stay honest. Kind of like my grandpa used to say, you can lock the gate, but that will just keep the honest folks out.

Just my $.02.

12. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    no hope for iowa legalizing it! though i do want to try it, it sounds fun except for the possibility of a muskrat snake or beaver or worse, a 79 pound flathead under that hole. god its that that turns me away! lol

13. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Hey I don't think I'D do it but I don't see why it should be a problem if you don't mind the risk...

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    it's stupid........it's not smart.........it's crazy..........and it's not right......of course I could be wrong

15. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have noodled.... it's not dumb, it's not stupid, it don't make you any smarter, and it is one heck of a lot safer than you guys think. Surprising how many won't stick there hands in a hole where the don't know what's there, but will have a few drinks and get behind the steering wheel. Now thats dumb, the person is stupid, and it is not safe. You can add sky diving, scuba diving, snorkeling, shark tickling, etc. I have no problem with noodlers, just wish more of them would release the big cats and harvest the small ones. But, man has got to brag, don't he. Look at the avatars. LOL

16. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    AwShucks, that is one of the best posts I've read on this site. You hit the nail right on the head with your analogy. The same person who sees nothing wrong with drinking and driving thinks noodling is crazy. At least noodling is LEGAL and its not likely to impact other people. There are far more big catfish caught on rod and reel, jugs and lines than by noodling. Noodling is only effective for a few weeks a year and for every noodler there are probably 500fishermen using other methods. If I had the choice of catching the world record flathead noodling or on pole and line I'd choose noodling by a mile. Its not for everyone, but its not nearly as dangerous as some would have you believe. Its an exciting sport. Thanks for a great post.

17. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Shucks and Calvin,

I agree with both of you about the drinking and driving analogy. The only problem I have with the noodling is the big fish that are taken, especially when they are taken during the spawning period. This is the absolute worst time to take the monsters, or disturb their nests. Just my opinion, I personally am too much of a Wussy to stick my hand in any hole that I can not see, noooooooo waaaaaaaaaay!!:crazy:

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    missouri's noodling fee is $7 so kansas would probally be a little more like everything else.:crazy:

19. Calvin

Calvin New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I've heard all the concerns about the big fish taken off the nest and therefore taken from the spawning pool. Its true if a flathead is noodled and kept he will no longer be contributing to the gene pool. But, the fact is there are hundreds of times more fish taken from the breeding pool by rod and reel and trotlines and jug lines. I know we all talk about catch and release, but walk into any bait store in catfish country and you'll see dozens of pictures of big flatheads that probably didn't make it back into the river. If you check the dates on a good number of those photos, the fish were caught in pre spawn and were probably full of eggs. I'm not knocking that at all. I turn most of my flatheads loose, but realize many fishermen don't. That's their legal right. But a fish taken and not released is gone from the gene pool, no matter how or where its taken. A 60# fish caught and killed in October is just as dead and gone as one taken off the nest in June. I think that for every 100noodlers there may be only one that is really good at it. For every noodler, good or not so good, there are at least several hundred catfishermen who are pretty good or real good at using juglines, trotlilnes, and limblines. I won't even mention snaggers because I do have some opinions about a few of them.

20. He does try doesn't he. Will give him proper praise if he ever completes that task.