Noodling teens in Iowa

Discussion in 'LOCAL IOWA TALK' started by davesoutfishing, Jul 13, 2006.

1. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    I went up to oakland mills its a small dam on the skunk river in My Pleasant Iowa no one was fishin but their was 4 teen boys wadein around age around 18 19 had a young lady with them also I was sitting in the van watchin them all of a sudden one of the boys pulled out a catfish prolly weighed2 or 3 lbs kinda ticked me off so I called the sherrifs office and they told me they didnt know if they could get anyone down their(this is a nice place to fish an camp they also have a camp host who is a deputy) he was their with his squad car (off duty) I told him what I had seen the kids doing and he called some people his wife and daughter walked down to the dam where I was sittin (very nice family) I asked him if he could do anything about it he said no cause he wasnt on duty warden called him back said he was 20 mins away well I watch them catch 3 total and the deputy watched them catch one the kids left but I gave the license number to the deputy we need more wardens

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Thats no good. We need more wardens too. During the 2005 turkey season my buddy saw a guy shooting turkeys with a rifle and no tags. They called the conservation police, and he was told that they were at training. Weird to be at trainign during a popular game season.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sounds like a group of young kids unaware of fishing regulations. Were they keeping their catch or were they throwing them back? I'm sure DNR would of had fun with them

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    they kept their catch they threw the cats in the trunk well what med me the madess was no one was around to catch them this place use to have park rangers all the time roaming around

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wardens are there when you dont need em, and not there when you need em. Just one of Murphys laws brother.

That sucks that they were noodling illegally in the state, probably did not know it was wrong. I would just ask them if they knew it was illegal, maybe that would of been enough?? But, never know.

Good call on your part letting the authorities know.

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

We have one game warden in the county, and let's just say he's not earning his pay at all. TA2D can really get fired up about this, so I'm sure he'll chime in eventually.

SudDawg

7. oldstylelight

oldstylelight New Member

State:
    LeClaire, ia
    although it is illegal and i dont support that, you have to admit it would be pretty cool to watch or even do. all hats off to those guys that are crazy enough to risk their arms (where it's legal)

8. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Its legal in oklahoma my brother law came down from nj and said he seen the dirty jobs show with mike rowe doing it on keystone and he had to give it a shot then i told him about the coons and beavers and he was like what are the odds of that i said good enough for me to use a r/r lol well we get to the lake and i take him to a spot my uncle has noodled a few 20-30 lbers and tell him to get ready right before he gets in the water a huge beaver slaps his tail on the top of the water and accually got us wet in the boat i look at him and said theres your odds lmao needless to say he didnt get in the water and i laught @ him for 2 days about the whole thing

9. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Our local game warden is a decent guy for a drunk, but worthless for a game warden, we are critically understaffed down here. There have been multiple times that I have had to call another game warden because **** wouldn't answer his phone, so I had to inconveince the game warden from another county more than once. One time I overheard that all he was in if for was to help pay off his new truck and boat.

Aaron

TA2D

10. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nebraska Game and Parks helps out with the payments so they don't have to out right foot the bill.

Aaron

TA2D

11. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Missouri is another state that is chronically short of wardens.

One of the worst I have seen:

Missouri has a snagging season, but where I fish it is specifically outlawed.

Someone accidentally snagged a spoonbill and threw it up on the bank to die and rot. The laws specifically state that any spoonbill taken in that section of the lake must be returned immediately. If the wardens are around, they'll let it slide long enough for someone to get pics, but that's it. But to let a 30# spoonbill die and rot on the bank?!? This was a couple of months ago, and the spoon section was still laying there last weekend. No one wants to even touch the thing just in case a warden happens to be around. they aren't around when you need them, but when they are there they are pretty much heartless.