Noodling Project

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by wynn2wynn, Mar 27, 2006.

1. wynn2wynn

wynn2wynn New Member

State:
    OK
    Hello Everyone,

I need a little bit of feedback from all of you noodlers out there. I'm working on a project, for a class I'm taking at OK State Univ, and the research will be in conjunction with a larger project for the OK Centennial in 2007. If you would like to share your thoughts, ideas, experiences, or anything else you could contribute on noodling, please PM me. I am especially interested in OK noodlers for obvious reasons, however ALL noodlers input is welcome. Thanks so much and happy noodling!
    :) Megan Wynn

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC. Just hang on and I got a feeling You'll get some feedback. :)

3. wynn2wynn

wynn2wynn New Member

State:
    OK
    I hope so. I would like lots and lots of feedback!! I have a few family members that noodle, but I would like a wider sample to gather information from. Pictures and/or short video clips would be helpful too. The larger project that this will work towards is for literature on OK region folkways, to be available for the public around the time of our state centennial celebration. So thanks to you that have responded and pass the word around if ya don't mind!! Thanks everyone,

Megan Wynn (Please PM me for my email address.)

4. rsimms

rsimms New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    wynn2wynn.... no offense, but I think your request is a bit broad in nature. Some specific questions might encourage better feedback. I'm a big grabbling fan... not really a pro myself but I go with some real pro's. In fact my daughters are stars of a DVD called "Girls Gone Grabblin'" see http://www.catfishgrabblers.com/ They're the "cover girls" (Dad said proudly) They were also featured in the Dec./Jan. Issue of Outdoor Life magazine. I've also written numerous internet and print articles on the subject. See http://www.chattanoogan.com/articles/article_69018.asp for one example. Grabbling is a lost art, and incredible fun. However, it could clearly have a detrimental impact on fisheries if abused. In Tennessee we have a regulation that says you can keep no more than one 34-inch catfish per person, per day. The grabblers I go with, Marty & Fostana Jenkins NEVER keep fish... all are returned to the water. That's as it should be. Anyway, that's my initial feedback ... if you've got specific questions, feel free to let me know.

5. wynn2wynn

wynn2wynn New Member

State:
    OK
    rsimms,

no offense taken;) Actually you pose an excellent point and I'll look into that, as I know several game wardens and park rangers around here. I had seen your daughters film in my husband's magazine. I told my professor about it and she thought it sounded great.

I'm sorry for the vagueness. I'm approaching noodling from the perspective of a person that knows absolutely nothing about it. The bigger picture here is that Oklahoma's 100th anniversary is coming up, which is already bringing more attention to our state. Like other states, we have "folkways" that make us unique. My professor is working on a project that will be used to teach the public about these folkways/traditions. So whatever you contribute to me, will be helping to shed some of the misconceptions that noodling has. Not to mention, you would be surprised how many Oklahomans themselves do not know anything about noodling...

So to clarify, what I'm looking for are people that noodle, and a summary of what noodling means to them. I'm specifically interested in Okies, however it's important for me to distinguish between how an Okie may noodle vs. someone from Texas or Tennessee(if there even is a difference). I'm interested in pictures or any other media you have available. If you want to get more specific please send me a private message and I'll give more details, but to wrap it up I want to know what noodling means to those of you who do it. The feedback I've gotten so far has been excellent and very helpful, so thank you so much for taking the time to do so. Anything you have to offer will be helpful as I will try to use a little big of everything to convey to others what noodling is all about.

Hope that clarifies and happy noodling!:cool:

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    I don't fish this way but I'm a fan of that video !!!!!!
    Good luck on your project and Welcome to the BOC.

7. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Megan,If you haven't already tried it,go up above to the search and type in noodling or noodle.There is several threads where they are discussing it.I don't noodle because I'm chicken LOL!!! I have friends who do and there's several people on here who like to do it.There's been a few good debates about it on here lately so they might be shy of wading into a new one right now.;)

Just jump into one of the other threads about it and they will probably be glad to answer some questions for you.They might be resting between debates right now. :cat:

Good luck with your project. :0a22:

8. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    In fact, if you check out the Oklahoma section, I do believe there are a couple of threads in there about noodling.