Noodling Or Cooning For Catfish - Catfishing Old School Style

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by rondawg, Jan 6, 2006.

1. rondawg

rondawg New Member

State:
    VIRGINIA
    Hey Does Anybody Noodle Or Coon For Catfish?? I Had Some Pictures Sent To Me Of Fish That Were Caught That Way.. Big!! Fish. I Don't Have Them Anymore..
    Thanks,
    Ron

2. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I don't, but my old man has forever. Still does, and he's pushing 60. They get a lot of big flatheads (30-50lbs) and a big blue every now and then. There's and episode of "Dirty Jobs" on the Discovery channel where a couple of guys from OK take the host noodling. I got too much money wrapped up in fishing gear and my boat (and I'm waaaaaaay to lazy) to walk up and down the creek reaching in holes :)

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I used to know a guy who noodled. one crazy son of a gun.

Ain't no way i'm reaching My hand in any darned hole under the water
    Guess i'm just a sissy like that

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    what is cooning for catfish? :confused:

5. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Do noodlers keep most of the catch or release them..I would not do it, just curious?

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Yes Jack, most noodlers that I know often keep all the fish that are caught. Fortunately here in Ky there is a five fish limit, but when it is five 20# plus flatties after a few years it hurts the population. My father and his father have noodled for years, but now grandpa is gone and dad doesn't like noodling as much because he knows the population is starting to hurt from it. It has become such a popular sport in his area that people put out nest boxes and make holes in ledges to noodle from at a later date. There have also been fist fights and cussing matches over people noodling other peoples boxes. I personally don't think that I would care to do it. IMO if I can't feel him shaking his head and making hard runs on the end of a rod it would feel like there is no sport in it. At least for me there wouldn't be, but to each his own. Vern

7. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    man, noodling is a big problem where i live. we have 2 good sized lakes within 20 minutes from me that have some massive flats in them(i have heard of 75 pounders caught(noodled) just about every year). problem is these fish are few and far between because of noodling. i had a post on the old boc about this and it got pretty ugly between me and a couple other brothers. they took the post off the board over it. anyway i will keep this breif and try not to ruffle any feathers. from what i know( and i have lived and fished here since i was 10) happens in my area. flathunter, i have never heard of anyone noodling ever releasing anything and i know alot of people who do it. what i have heard and do know is this, there is a 5 fish limit but many people do not abide by this because it is not inforced because the bass crowd would love to see then all gone and you know who wins between bassholes and catmen. more and more people are noodling every year. they just dont go and pull them out of their holes, but they make artificial ones like rock piles and sinking various things like old bath tubs, then they mark the location on their gps and when the time is right they just come back and harvest their crop. makes me sick. the fish they catch on average are getting smaller and smaller every year. i wonder why? well i didnt mean to go on a rant but this is a real sore spot for me. i believe this is only legal in 5 states at the present time. i wish it was only 4.

8. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I went noodling for snapping turtles one time w/ my best friend and his dad. I carried the bag with the turtes in it until I got the nerve to do it myself. I put my hand on a soft shell turtle and when it moved I freaked. I was done and had to carry the bag again. While carrying the bag with two turtes in it I got bit. Here they are reaching in a hole and pulling them out and I'm carrying the bag and I get bit. SOB drew blood on my arm thru the bag and my BDU shirt. Never went again.
    But for catfish... Know someone that does it every year in Kentucky (illegal here in Indiana). I've never did it. Don't know if they keep or release them. I'm not understranding why people get upset over it. Whats the differance in keeping them noodling or keeping them fishing? I'm reading posts on here where people are upset about it. Can someone explain to what the differance is?

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    That's a good point Tim. Thanks.