Noodling in Alabama

Discussion in 'LOCAL ALABAMA TALK' started by creighton, Feb 2, 2008.

1. creighton

creighton New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I live in the Birmingham area and was wantin' to try my hand at noodling. I've never tried it before but it looks really fun. Do any of y'all know where the best spot for a beginner to try would be?

Thanks,
    Creighton

2. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    We go at Pickwick every weekend, I can't wait for season to open this year! One place is really as good as the other, we build our own boxes but you can find boat ramps, submerged logs, or just holes in the bank and get after it or GETBIT! We have alot of beginners/family that go but we really don't like to give up the location of our boxes to just anyone! I will not run anything out of the water though, snakes or turtles have to breathe if its underwater you don't have to worry bout them!

3. creighton

creighton New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've never heard of pickwick. How far is Pickwick from Birmingham? Would somewhere along the Cahaba work? I live right by it. I don't think I'm going to build boxes. I'm too lazy for that. What time of year is best for it in Bama? Do you have any tips for a noob?

4. getbit

getbit New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    It is in the very Northwest Corner of Alabama, it is part of the Tennesee River! I don't know where Cahaba is! There is a season, usually May 1 to August 15, I haven't checked for this year yet. the best time of year for us usually is around the Fourth of July! Only thing that I know to tell ya is block the hole real good or he will come out, get you a stick to work him around, never try to bring him out anyway except by the mouth, and hold on for all you have!!:big_smile:

5. bluekatz

bluekatz New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I've found all the resevoirs on the Coosa are pretty good ... not so much on the Talapoosa.

Under boat ramps is a pretty safe and less scary option to noodle out some huge flats.

wear old shoes and feel around the edge of the ramps for small holes the drop down and go for broke.

good luck

Kevin

6. 10IbsBass

10IbsBass New Member

State:
    AL
    would stick my hand in a hole i can't see into But good luck to you:big_smile:

7. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I will stick with my pole im not sticking my hand somewhere I dont know whats under there

8. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i would luv to give noodlin' a shot. but on this end of the state your just as likely to get a big handful of teeth.

9. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yep, that kind of keeps me from doing it too, I don't think we have as many gators around as you do down there, we have some though. I'd be too worried about a five foot gar eating my hand for lunch to have any fun at it...lol :big_smile:

10. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    ive thought about tryin' it down here lots of times. but, by the time i finishedpoking the hole with a stick, stompin' on the bank to scare off snakes, and doing cannonballs to spook the gators... well, i dont think any self respectin' fish would hang out for all that. lol.

11. Bait Boat

Bait Boat New Member

State:
    Arkansas. Green
    I have to many good rod and reels to stick my hand in a hole:smile2:

12. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Rod and reel, I not going to go looking for a snake bite.

13. edroe35186

edroe35186 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Creighton We will be starting soon waiting for the water to warm a bit going to jordan this weekend and check for tem and slabs,will let you know when we start people join us all the time ,just remember it is a a two person sport.

Ed