Noodling, Hoggin, Loggin

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by puck55, Jul 4, 2007.

1. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    anyone know of any goods place to do this on the wabash or embrass

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Ya, a place with lots of turtles, musk rats, beaver, and snakes!!!!

3. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    haha turtles and cats hahaha im game

4. John(Bullhead)Hagen

John(Bullhead)Hagen New Member

State:
    ILLinois
    :sad2:Come on now,If you need the fish to eat there are better ways to get some eaters.I wont be a hippocrit as i did it when i didnt know better.but i will try to change your opinon of hogin if you will listen.Number one it is illegal Number 2 you will only get large females on there nest so not only will she be gone but so will all the fry.Number3 Try to catch them on pole and line and you will find it more exciting,and last most of us only keep what we need to eat and wiegh and release the rest,so on this site there would not be much suport of tis method. Thank You John(Ole Bullhead )Hagen

5. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Come on now,If you need the fish to eat there are better ways to get some eaters.I wont be a hippocrit as i did it when i didnt know better.but i will try to change your opinon of hogin if you will listen.Number one it is illegal Number 2 you will only get large females on there nest so not only will she be gone but so will all the fry.Number3 Try to catch them on pole and line and you will find it more exciting,and last most of us only keep what we need to eat and wiegh and release the rest,so on this site there would not be much suport of tis method. Thank You John(Ole Bullhead )Hagen

John,
    I can appreciate your opinion regarding noodling or hogging. I am not sure you are correct regarding the practice being illegal here in Illinois. I can find nothing regarding it being illegal in the '07 issue of Illinois Fishing Information, nor on the DNR site but do find several articles on the subject, all indicating it is legal in Illinois. I have met and talked to several fellows while they are hogging on Rend. Legality never came up, but due to close supervision of the lake it is difficult to believe so many fellows would be doing so openly if it was illegal.

In my opinion, if a fellow pays for his license and it is legal he is as entitled to engage in the sport without my criticism.

6. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
  7. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    4 one i do both i catch rod and reel and hoggin!!! hoggin is a blast if you dont care about it squeezing your fingers and number 2 males are the ones that guard the nest and also swarm the fry together 3 its not illegal in illinois sorry to offend but i believe that if you catch only enough to eat for food to feed the family when bills are taught then by all means you have to provide for your family hope this cleared some of this up

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I found out that it is only lagal in certain places in Illinois, Not to sure on which areas though. You might want to check the regs on this one a little closer!!!

9. puck55

puck55 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Oh yea i forgot to mention that the flathead spawnin could last till the beginning of aug. in some parts ie ponds, lakes, or rivers and what so fun about it when you feel around and it takes ahold of your hand sometimes you gotta go under water to get them and you wonder what is on the other side !!!! Sorry fellow Brother you will not change my mind about this My Grandfather thought me this and i will teach my childern about it as well if they do it they do it if not ok and i will also teach them about the fun of a biggin at the end of a line and it starts to run FISH ON !!!!

10. ldw45

ldw45 Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dreadnaught, Your point is well taken and I agree regarding the abortion issue. I did check at Crab Orchard with a couple of wardens who were doing a safety check. It is legal there.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    As I stated in the other hread, It is not the sport of noodling that bothers me, It is the timing that it is done. That combined with folks taking and taking and never giving back (Gluttons AKA Fish Hogs)!!!

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I'm not fond of the idea to specifically target the top end of the flathead population. They're slow growing, and it takes a long time to replace those fish.

As far as doing it, I wouldn't try it. I've become sort of attached to my appendages!

Shawn