Noodling for catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by lcjsse, Jun 12, 2006.

1. lcjsse

lcjsse New Member

State:
    missouri
    i have always heard some of the old timers talk about pulling out huge fish noddling. But it is one of those things you just brush off not really believing it tell you see it. Well the its like any adrenal rush sport. Once you do it, your hooked. I have fished for all types except salt water and this is by far the most fun and best adrenal rush ever. but i am not that great and could use some advice from you exprenced ones. and for you that haven't done it, you have to, to talk to me PM me

2. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Careful about this subject.... Apparently some folks here don't think it's an acceptable way to fish...

3. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome Jim to the BOC. I have not tryed it but have watched it done. I am not in good enough health to try and do it now.

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    i havent tried it,but it looks like fun. in indiana its illegal to grab fish with your hands.

westkybanded,the reason most look down on noodling is that people usually keep those big fish that they grab. the majority of our brothers are conservationist and are edjucated about catch n release for the future of fiushing. its not just a myth its scientific facts. i am goin to try this noodling stuff,but ill release them after i get some pics,so i too would like to see the how to posts.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    The biggest reason noodling is "frowned upon" by those who care about the future of their catfish fishery is because noodling exploits the big fish while they are tending their nest - so you not only take a big brood fish from the water, you destroy the nest and sacrifice potentially thousands of fry. And those fry are the fish you would have been catching in 5 or 10 years.

Noodling is illegal in many states and is currently only legal in a few select places in Missouri, as an "experimental" fishing method. The permitting and reporting requirements for those who want to try noodling make it really a lot more trouble than it's worth.

Of course, for those who don't care about the laws, noodling can be done just about anywhere...

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I once saw a segment on the show "Dirtiest Jobs". the guys were saying how they have to be careful because sometimes they might get chomped on by other animals and such...that's enough to let me know that I need to stick with the traditional way:roll_eyes: .

7. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee

This is just what I think and I am often wrong.

STOP IT. don't do that. Think about what these people are doing. Allow me to make it a little clearer.

Your wife or mother is in the bed and is having a baby. A person is walking down the sidewalk and reaches in the window of the bedroom and grabs your woman, looking around that person decides that was fun and reaches back in and grabs you. Now you and your woman are in a bag or you have a rope running into your mouth and through your lungs comming out, who knows where. You newborn is alone and little chance of living.

It's not over. The person that did this is so sure that everyone will want to have this fun that he tells the world how to do it. Seems silly doesn't it ?

Let me finish.

Now only 10 % decide this really is fun and carry on this silly, stupid, dangerous and mean new sport. How many years until there are no new humans?

8. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    ok... How about this.

Are all of you releasing ALL of the fish you're catching right now? Those fish do eat stuff that swims by/into their nest holes. How do you know that you're not catching a fish just outside it's spawning hole? It would only make sense that if you're that concerned about not killing spawning fish that you would stop fishing during the spawn every year...

Give me a break..... 10% is a WAY high number to begin with. I would guess that less than 1% of people who catfish would even consider handfishing.

9. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    like tim said it's illegal here, if i was allowed to noodle i wouldn't, like the fight of the pole to much and i fear big snappers, lol. also welcome to the boc.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You might be right.

But the problem is that the 1% who hand fish are *specifically* targeting nesting fish, and their efforts can have an impact on the fishery that's much larger than the "average" 1% of fishermen would by using conventional methods during that same period.

As for concern about catching a fish that was spawning, my personal policy is that anything over 20 lbs is going back in the water, unharmed. Its those big fish who are contributing the most to your fishing future. I can't tell anyone else what to do with their fish, though I expect everyone to at least follow the laws that apply where they're fishing.

11. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I would consider giving it a try, but not during the spawn. I never thought of it until you fellas pointed it out, but the thrashing of the fish would most likely destroy it's nest and the eggs in it. I may try it later in the summer, and just like when I'm fishing with rod & reel, anything over 10 lbs goes back. (I don't care for the taste of the bigger fish.)

12. M Welch

M Welch New Member

State:
    Texas
    My advice, if you like your fingers and toes...stop.

-M Welch

13. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK

Uh what are you talking about? If you feel that bad about noodling why are you even a fisherman. Why those bad hooks in the water just waiting to hook that poor fish in the mouth. Come on now were talking about fish not people.

Noodling has been legal in my home state forever now. Flatheads are the only one's allowed to be taken and they must be at least 20 inches long to harvest and your only allowed three fish per day with this method. Yes most people who hand fish keep them and usually they are pretty big also. Now tell me the difference in thousands of fisherman who harvest big flatheads with set lines and rod and reel and keep these fish as opposed to a very few hand fisherman. I agree in conservation of our fish and want to keep big fish for everyone else to catch but noodling is only for a select few who try it and continue to do so. I think even 1 % is even a big number. Also just because these fish are taken off a spawning bed and harvested does that make it any different from any other time of year? Once any fish is harvested it will no longer reproduce so it really doesn't matter when a fish it taken for harvest.

The methods by which fish are taken doesn't really matter. In order to keep good fishing smart limits on the quanity of fish and in some cases slot limits on fish is needed. Who really cares how a catfish is taken as long as conservation methods are being taken to make sure there's plenty of catfish in the long term. We have had noodling here forever and we still have some of the best flathead fishing around. Noodler's may keep large, nesting fish but the percent of actual fish taken as compared to other methods...well it's not really any comparison. I've only noodled twice in my life. I really didn't care too much for it but I know other's like it and don't see the harm in noodling as compared to other methods which take a far greater number of large fish.

14. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    Think about what happens to the eggs and fry once papa is no longer guarding the nest: They become a nice snack for a bass, bluegill, or whatever happens to be in the area. Normally, the parent would guard the nest for a while after the fry hatches to help give them a leg up and better their odds of survival.

You may have only taken one fish out of the system but in the process, you've eliminated hundreds if not thousands of "future fish."

With all that said, however, if it's legal in your state, then I suppose you can trust that the fisheries biologists have worked with the legislators to set rules that minimize the impact on the fishery. Though my understanding of the hand fishing season in Missouri is that it was mostly a politically motivated thing.

15. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Where is the difference????

If someone catches a big flathead on rod and reel and keeps it today, and someone else handgrabbs one and keeps it, the rod and reel guy is less of a villian??

Even a fish caught in November will not take part in spawning again.

BTW.... The only time we keep big ones 30+ lbs, is when we tear gills out in the brawl. Yes I eat them, and yes they are tasty!!

16. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by catfishcentral
    Also just because these fish are taken off a spawning bed and harvested does that make it any different from any other time of year?

The answer to my question. Quote:

Also just because these fish are taken off a spawning bed and harvested does that make it any different from any other time of year? Once any fish is harvested it will no longer reproduce so it really doesn't matter when a fish it taken for harvest.

This is my point I understand that taking a spawning fish eliminates those future fish off that particular nest but once any fish is taken for harvest it will never reproduce. When is the best time for lots of fishing? The prespawn when fish are full of eggs looking for places to spawn. We slay the fish that are full of eggs. Now what's the difference in taking fish before they lay eggs? You take a fish full of eggs and that fish will never have the chance to reproduce. Any fish harvested will never reproduce but noodling is just such a very small portion of fish harvested as compared to other means it's not hurting the population no matter when it's harvested.

17. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, I used to noodle. Great fun. But, I'd suggest that those of you who want a super high, try noodling in the salt water. WHOA Nellie, not so fast now, are you.

18. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    I've done it and it was alot of fun, but it's a young persons sport. I'm too old for it now. If anyone is interested here are the regulations for noodling in Ky.

(301 KAR 1:075; KRS 150.010)

The tickling and noodling (hand grabbing) season for rough fish is June 1 through August 31, during daylight hours only. Tickling and noodling means taking fish directly by hand, or with the aid of a handled hook. These methods are permitted in all waters. The daily creel limit is 15 rough fish, no more than 5 of which can be catfish.

19. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    you guys that are hand fishing, let me ask you this since you say their is no difference in when you take them.

When you go hunting do you kill the animals that are getting ready to give birth or do you kill the deer that is nursing young ? When you see baby animals do you track them so you can grab their parents.

I'm sorry that you don't see the difference but just because you don't see it doesn't mean it isn't there

Some say they are just animals, so are we.

A line must be drawn somewhere to help the future of the fish. As we get more people involved in catfishing the more we must think about these things.

I don't know all the answers but I feel saying it doesn't matter is not being responable.

20. westkybanded

westkybanded New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    God's sakes fish man... Do you stop fishing all spring so that you don't mess up the spawn?

Catfish don't nurse their young. Yes I shoot the HECK out of does when I deer hunt.

Look.... We're talking about Kentucky Lake here...Kentucky Lake is 184 miles long. Kentucky Lake has 2,064 miles of shoreline. Over 160,000 acres of water.

I'm here to tell ya, there's not more than a couple dozen guys that handfish Kentucky Lake. Us taking a few big cats out of an impoundment that size will have NO impact whatsoever. I'll guarantee you that more big cats die from the stress of catch and release in ANY given tournament on the lake than we will kill in one entire season of handfishing.