Noodling for Catfish - What do you think?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Catmaster, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I personally think it is fun and adrinaline rushing. I also catch alot of crap from other people calling me stupid. I dont exactly get them because i am catching them in the most rugged way there is to catch them. I think they are just jellous. What is your view point?

2. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I wouldnt do it personally. Unless there is someone around that knows what they are doing then I might do it in a lake. I would never do it in the river though too much could go wrong. My luck I will get my fingers bit off or drown or something.:sad: I know quite a few people do it and catch some nice ones doing it but it can be dangerous. Have you caught any nice ones doing it? I would really like to see it in action though Ive just heard about it and seen clips of it but never in person.

3. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Where are you doing the noodling?My thinking it is done at spawning time , I am not sure that is a good thing.

4. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I will be honest, I am too scared to do it. The catfish don't worry me as much as the 85 pound Terrapins.

5. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I dont have a problem with it as long as you use the fish or let it go. Its not for me but I could see how it would be a rush. I think most people dont like it because they dont like the idea of taking those big "breeder"? cats out of the system.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have done it a few times in my life. Talk about a rush... your working a hole, concentrating of the fish, and a snake pops up about 8 or 10 inches from your face... yeah, it is a rush. And, I'm proud to say I get a gold star, as we did let the fish go...

7. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    awshucks, doesnt sound like too much fun to me having snakes jump out and stuff like that. I can see where it would be a rush but I am NOT a fan of snakes and think Id throw in the towel after that one. It would be cool to see what you could pull out and it would get your adrenaline flowing, but I let others do it and watch.

8. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I bet it's a shock the first time a big cat bites you on the hand. At least your pants are alreddy wet when you come out of the water, so nobody can tell if you wet em or not.lol

9. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That's funny,I hadn't thought of that.
    I'm not gonna try it myself.I have some friends out in Lawrence,Ks. that have done it all their lives but they could never get me to try it when we went fishing.I'm over 6' tall and weigh about 240 but I'm still not going to fight one of them bigguns on their own turf.I've seen a few of them big hawgs give my friends a good thrashing and strip the hide off their arm when they start twistin
    and turning.

10. etipriga

etipriga New Member

State:
    TX
    Id do it but its not legal in TX. I dont think it could get ne funner tan catchin big o catfish with ur bare hands. Although if i saw and eighty pounder or so i would prolly get so scared i wouldnt do it again.:frk-big:

11. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    should be banned period. its only still legal in 5 states. if you guys could see how bad the waters around here are being raped, you would probably agree with me. i think it just sucks!!

12. blackhorse83

blackhorse83 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I would love to go with someone who really knows how to do it. I think it would be a great adventure, personaly I'm not sticking my hands in log, under rocks and in holes in a bank that I can't see what's in there. I would like to watch it though. and they must have strick limits or there won't be any big females, they will all be snached out.

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I knew this old man when I was a kid that was missing a finger from graveling (noodling), he got a turtle or the turtle got him. no way I'm trying it!

14. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Noodling is just about as dangerous as trying to pull a 40+ catfish into one of those low profiled jon boats. If you do it right, there is very limited danger to the participants. Snakes won't stay in a hole with a catfish as they would be taken to dinner pretty darn quick. You cut a willow stick about 6' long, with the small end cut at an approximate 45 degree angle. Poke it in the holes under logs, rocks, etc. If there is a catfish there, it feels like your poking an old rubber boot filled with water. Keep poking until you irritate the object and it strikes the stick. Pull it out and look. If it is now cut,and not a 45 degree angle, it's a beaver. Leave it alone. If it is mashed, its a turtle. Leave it alone also. If it has fine scratches, thats a catfish and you can go for it... Depleting the breeding stock... no way. I think us anglers do that far more than a noodler buy CPR and having the fish die. That is a total waste. Again, it is just a matter of opinion... everyone has one. If the states which do allow it thought for a minute it was depleting the stock, it would be made illegal during the next legislative session. People who noodle are not foolish, or any more braver than the next person... nor are they dumber. Strange to say, they also call themselves "sportsmen".

15. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I just started doing it alot last year. I did not know it was only legal in 5 states:008: . Thanks for bringing that up.

16. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    Kansas is not one of the five.

17. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I think it's cool, and fun to watch, I just don't think I can do it. The boogy man might be in the next hole you go in.
    You could allso have some fun , you know come up sgreamin bloody murder give your buddies all heart atacks, and go April fool.

18. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I have been to war and back and had no problems. Not sure I have the guts to stick my hand that I have been attached to for 35 years into a hole I cannot see into. Cluck-Cluck

Has anyone seen the new video called girls gone grabbin? Looks like a good lesson in how it is done to me. No, I do not feel bad cause they are doing it and I am not. My wife had three kids with no drugs.....no way I would have.:sad:

19. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

they made it legal in mo. i hope they make it leagle in kansas too, its so much fun

20. lunkerman

lunkerman New Member

State:
    St. Peters
    No thanks. I'm to worried about alligator snappers.:sad: