Noodling for Catfish in Oklahoma

Discussion in 'LOCAL OKLAHOMA TALK' started by NoodlingOkie, Mar 8, 2006.

1. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Who all out there hand fishes??:confused:

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    I live in ohio where it is illegal to go grabbing, but imma try it later on this summer, my uncle and cousin went about 5 times and got about 400lbs and let about 100 lbs go back lol

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    :) Btw i didnt mean i was gonna try it here in ohio where it is Illegal lol

4. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Right here buddy. Probably my most cherished activity. I noodle rivers and tributaries mostly. I started a thread on noodling awhile back. You should check it out.

5. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea, I'm down in Altus. 5 Minutes from the Red River. My buddy and I go noodling almost everyday in the summer. Last summer, we probably caught at least 800 to 1000 pounds of catfish!!;) Pretty freaking awesome, biggest one we caught was a 78 pound flatty, that was scary.

6. NCvacationer

NCvacationer New Member

State:
    Lexington, KY
    Have you ever been injured? I've heard horror stories about snapping turtles and other undesirable surprises.

7. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nah, not really, just the occasional barb stick, which burns for a while. If you get into big fish, their sandpaper like teeth will play hell on your forearm. One of my friends, got his skin torn off, from the upper bicep to the hand, from the flathead rolling in his hole. Never been bit by a turtle, or got into a beaver. Knock on wood. Where I go there arent that many turtles or beavers. Where i usually go you can catch 30 fish in about 45 minutes. It is an all clay river bottom with two channels on both sides that are about 4 to 5 foot deep with holes all along the channels.

8. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    You know, I'll do a lot of things which I consider brave. Like eat a sandwich from the cooler at Texaco or tell my wife that yes that dress does make her look fat. But there is no way I'm doing that! You guys have some serious guts!

I've been invited several times but I've never gone. I like to watch guys noodle, though. It is absolutely amazing that 1)they can get so close to big fish, and 2) they can get them out of there with their hands.

9. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Same here Ive never been injured but I have gotten sick from swimming around in water with a pig carcass in it. This particular creek is like red chocolate water. I saw what looked to be a sack hanging from a stick. I swam over to it and poked it with my stick and it was a freakin' pigs gut. That was about the nastiest thing ive ever experienced and I got sick as heck.

I always hold a stick out in front of me as I swim. Most of the water I swim in is completely red. Re-bar is the devil in the water. That stick tactic I use has saved me from getting gored by re-bar and metal crap in the water on a few occassions.

Losing some skin to those flatheads is a small price to pay for the ultimate joy of noodling. I think channel and blue cats have a much sharper bite. One channel cat last year would bite just the very tip of my fingers like a mouse trap or something. The male channels turn into a completely different fish when they are holed up. There heads gets really swollen up and they are just plain mean. Of course its illegal to keep channels and blues by noodling them so I always put them back in their holes and usually they go right back in there.

Just a word to fellow noodlers: try and return the females.
    They take alot longer to mature than males (about 7-10 years!) and as the females grow larger their egg production doubles and triples. You can roughly tell them apart cause' they are the stubbier of the two. They have a larger girth for their size. The males are longer and a bit narrower. I love noodling so much that I hope we will always have that right and ability here in this state. Returning the females and ultra-top-dog males will help.

Man we need to lobby the state to start stocking flatheads!
    I think it should be our state fish.

-Matt

Wow I cannot wait till May!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea, mtrimble, we need to hook up this summer or something, make a day or two out of it. You ever noodled at night?? its really scary, but a rush. I go almost everyday in the summer starting in late april. When they start to spawn. Blues hurt the worst, they bite so hard. Those are the only ones that really hurt, some male channels can get ya, but you gotta watch out for the Blue's, especially the pissed off females.

11. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey Logan.
    Are you down in the south? Id like to try some of the streams down there. Ive noodled a little in the blue river but didnt have much luck. I know the streams fairly well up here.

12. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Those blues really are their own catfish. If you said your in the Red River that is blue country down there. I come by one every once in awhile here in the cimmarron river but I dont think there as many as in the Red. Imagine noodling one of those big big blues at night. I dont know if I would mess with that (but I probably would). Ive noodled into the night on a few occassions but it was because i was occupied with a big one that hard to get. It does get quite a bit creepier at night.

13. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yea man, I know what your talking about. There are some really good sized blues, which of course I don't "Keep". Yes, I'm down 5 minutes from the salt fork and 15 from the North fork of the Red River. Me and my buddy are gonna start noodling Tom Steed, a Lake 30 minutes away from Altus. The banks are rock lined so hopefully they'll be in there. In the red you don't noodle many channels, but Blues and Flattys are king. Maybe a carp or two once in awhile. That is weird, noodling a carp, or a sand bass. Yea good stuff.There are so many holes, my friend has a awesome bass pond 5 minutes away from a good spot on the river, we go catch about 20 to 30 small to medium size largemouths and put them on a trotline and do that every morning and nite.

14. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Here is a pick of a bite mark left by the biggest flathead Ive noodled. Those bite burns sting pretty good when you put alcohol on them. check out my leg. i was pretty proud of that.

15. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ok I figured out the attach thing

Attached Files:

16. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    :) Wow how big was that fish? It bit ur leg? what a whopper

17. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Every bite stings for a couple of hours, especially if your are noodling in really dirty water.

18. mtrimble

mtrimble New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    That particular fish was probably around sixty or so lbs. I dont know beause I never weighed it. Thats just judging by other fish that I have weighed and his size compared to him. This fish was too far back under this red slab of rock for my arm. So I put my leg in there in an attemp to scoop him close enough for me to get a grip on him. That mad him pretty mad to say the least. He basically had his own under-water cave. He fought me and my cousin off for quite awhile. It was a small opening but huge inside. The red rock skinned my arm up pretty good also. I took a picture of that bite because it shows the outine of his teeth pads really well. Im six foot tall so that may give you guys a better idea of his size.

19. NoodlingOkie

NoodlingOkie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Man, Thats pretty harsh! That 78 pound flathead tore up my buddy's arm bad. His whole arm up to a little bit past his elbow was a scab for a few weeks.

20. catfishinfordman

catfishinfordman New Member

State:
    Broken Arrow, O
    I have never gone noodleling but would like to go once not even to noodle. But to watch at first. After seeing it up close I would then consider trying it.