Noodling etc.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Ulikedew, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    After reading in so many posts about catch and release.I have to agree that the big ones need to be put back for the future.Last night I watched on NGEO
    a program that mainly focused on a Noodling Tournament.I saw nice size cats just thrown in boats and left.It seems to me I see posts talking about hook and reel causing stress on the Big cats.How much is caused by sticking your hand in its mouth.
    I also noticed that one of the rules for this Tournament was all fish weighed in must be cleaned.So this tells me they really don't practice releasement.My question is why don't they aim for capture and release?

2. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    You can bet your boots if I stick hand in the water and something grabs me by hand. I'm going to release it as quick as i can.:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::big_smile:

3. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I don't care much for the idea of noodling, CPR or not... Either way, its bad bad bad for any future fisherman imho... To each their own, but I would rather not see it permitted..

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    cpr is a must!!! keep the smaller guys to eat... release the big breeding fish!!!! rollo

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    I agree CPR, If you don't think your buddies will believe the size of the fish you caught bring a camera along. Keep the smaller ones thay are better eating anyway.

6. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    we must keep getting the word out on turning the big ones lose. what really makes me mad is most of the fish noodled are flatheads man oo man i love catching flatheads they are on the nest spawning when most are noodled really upsets me:angry::angry::angry: bad enough with trot lines and jug lines where i fish and the old timmers filling there deepfreezes and killing big fish throw noodleing in on it 2 it really hurts the lake and river. they are just too much dam fun to catch on rod and reel . maybe ill go to a good bass lake and keep all the 5 lbers and up to eat . a good friend of mine thats a catfish fishing guide i wont say his name . showed me a picture of 2 bass fisherman with about 30 -50 of them noodle things kids play with using them for jugs in the back of there bass boat .they where going to throw them out while they pre fished for a tournament and have a fish fry prolly . dont get me wrong i love a good fish fry myself hell i keep lots of fish but 8 lbs and smaller . i would just love to catch a stringer of big bass and fillet them out at a bass tournament just to see what reaction i would get ... i feel my big catfish are just as important as a bass !!!!!!!!!!! ok ill shut up now..

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I noodled for much of my life as did my boys.Now we did it in the summer when the creeks were drying up into holes and the fish were coming to the top trying for oxygen.All wildlife was concentrated at these holes for food or water including turtles and snakes.The fish were going to die that were not eaten by wildlife.Mostly he fish were in muddy very warm water and had a muddy taste.Many of these fish were transported to nearby ponds or bigger holes where possible.Some were froze for bait or fed to hogs to keep them from dying and rotting.

Noodling in South Georgia with all size Cottonmouth,Snappers and all else concentrated is nothing like the northern noodling I did with some fellows in the service.You want some really exciting action without hurting the fish population,try noodling Georgia Style.Believe me when I say that Cottonmouths feel different than most other water snakes.The same goes for Snappers.The stink pots or musk turtles,Brown and Red bellied water snakes are the worst biters.For fish,keep your hand out of the Bow-Fins mouth.If you can't tell one end of a Gator from another under water,don't worry about it.You will soon learn!

Give it a try if you wish to try some noodling that will be one heck of a experience and you are not hurting the fish as they are going to die.That is why we did it,to try to salvage something.If it happens slow enough,and you have enough wildlife,they will take care of it.You could always wait and watch the Buzzards.

Oh yea!A Cotton Mouth feels just like a Rattler.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee.

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    im gonna bring up an old thread of mine in the tournament talk....yes, i am a tourney guy. But, i cpr all my big fish and think it is important to teach those in new pusuit of these fish they aren't the first and only to catch one.. you have to respect the sport and the sport will respect you in the long run!!!! rollo

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    IMO, education is the key! Way back when I was growing up, the universal attitude was 'if you catch it, you keep it'. That attitude stayed with me for a long time. I remember watching Bill Dance jugfishing the Mississippi River from a pontoon, catching and releasing a 30#-40# flathead. I made the comment that if he did that on my boat, I'd throw him in the water after the fish. Since then, I've been exposed to reasons for CPR by the BOC, and had a chance to study the results of no-netting, restricted sport harvest of fish in the Gulf of Mexico. I can remember partyboat fishing in the Gulf, and having fish buyers waiting at the dock when we got back. There was no limit on snapper or grouper, and no license required to sell them. Hardly any of them got thrown back. At that time, such fish as triggerfish were considered trash fish, and were thrown back because they were 'inedible'. Today, they are kept, right along with the snapper and grouper. Overharvest just about ruined the snapper, grouper, and sea trout fisheries, but with the stopping of netting them, and limitations on the limits for sport fishermen, those fisheries have come back to their old status, or even better.

10. tailfin

tailfin New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I MYSELF AND THE GUYS THAT I FISH WITH BELIEVE IN CPR WE WILL TAKE PICTURES WEIGH THE FISH THEN TURN IT LOSE AND IF ONE OF US CATCH A SMALL ONE WE WILL PUT IT BACK TELL THE FISH TO GROW UP :smile2:

11. Dadoftwo

Dadoftwo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I saw that too. It disturbed me the way they treated those giants and to have to clean them? What is the deal.

12. br7874884

br7874884 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ill admit i like to play with a beaver just as much as the next guy. but i cant think of any reason to stick my hand into a hole under water to play with a big ole hairy beaver

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    I forget the study I read but one important thing I remeber was how important the catfish was ecologicaly and economicaly. Must take care of the breeding population. When I first got into catfishing I kept a couple that were too big, but not since. CPR

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    its good to see the responces to this thread but i wish there were more. i have said before that things will change, like bass fishing did. shoot, if you keep bass around here they are likly to stab you at the ramp! lol it is good to see people learning thier ignorance. im in this group too, there was a time when i kept some bigger fish. it has been almost 20 years since i learned of my ignorance of cpr. now i spread the word like you all do. all we can do is try and change the stupidity of people that rape our waters. there will always be people raised to take all they can get in life, but i dont have to associate with them. on that last sentence, let me remind you all that some of those "takers" are lurking around on here. so dont tell them your best holes or they wont be your best holes anymore!!!!!

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I once witnessed 2 bass fishermen in there big fancy rig, while trying to catch bass. They caught a nice 5 lb. striper. They cut its throat and threw it over the side of the boat. This pissed me off so bad that I put on a crank bait and right in front of their eyes I caught a nice 3 lb bass. They said hey nice fish. I said yeah, its perect. I then sank my 7 /o hook through its dorsal fin and cast it out on the bottom. I got into a verbal contest with them. Finally they left. Can't we just all get along?:angry:

16. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I release most of the cats I catch. I'll keep a small one once in a while if I want to eat it soon. I don't stock the freezer full of fish.

17. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    why would you be so down on noodling when its illegal in your state?

18. papasfishing

papasfishing New Member

State:
    cleveland,oklahoma
    sorry fellow cats ,thought we were noodling,if fishing is not part of your enviro-friendly agenda consider wal-mart,got lots of frozen fish

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    The reason for this is simple. If enough catfishermen and like minded sportsmen get on the bandwagon to stop it, the sooner it will be. It doesn't matter what state you are from.

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    In my opinion, you guys are getting your britches into a tight wad for nothing. Noodling, for the most part, stopped about two or three months ago and won't start again for probably another 3 to 4 months. That is about 1/2 a year. Now, go back in the threads posted on this board about the guys catching their personal best in just the last 3 months... look at the pictures posted about the fabulous fishing some of the brothers have had... why aren't you nobbing on their hind end the same way you do the noodlers? They have pictures of large fish hanging from the clothes line, nailed to trees, thrown in the bottom of the boat, or laying on a table. You think these fish are going to be released -heck no, too late for that. These guys are destroying the future spawns the same as your saying the noodlers do... face it, once eaten that large fish is not going to spawn again. Why not just adopt the attitude that noodlers have the same rights as you have. You think they are fish hogs - sounds like simple jealousy to me. Tournament fishing - sure, SOME of them release the fish... but you tell me the fish with a hook in its mouth and kept in a live well has not had more stress on it than a fish allowed to swim free. If you catch a fish, if you keep one fish, you really should give up your right to condem others for the same thing.