Noodling boxes

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by NIMROD, Oct 25, 2006.

1. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Do we have many noodlers out there? Does any build or place boxes in the water for this? If so please post some plans for them. Thanks curious Flathead fanatic. NIMROD:cool2:

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I grabbed a fish once. Never again! But that's another story. But c'mon now...boxes? I saw that once on some show. These guys had snorkels on, and had a stringer. They would swim down to their boxes, put 2 or 3 catfish on their stringer, and wow they were done. They acted like they were doing something. This is my opinion, if you just gotta noodle, be brave. Stick your hand where you have no idea what's there. That's the alure of noodling. Being tough and brave. If you ain't risking life and limb, there's no point in it. Those guys were a bunch of you know whattys. I know boxes are legal in some areas, so I can't tell you what to do, but I would go all natural if I were you. I've fished creeks that were littered with old tractor tires with a hole cut in them for hand fishing, and that's no good either.

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe that the majority of the seven (or is it 8 now) states which allows noodling prohibits putting objects into the water to entice the catfish to use the object as a nesting place. This includes old tires, water heaters, wash machine/dryer bodies, automobiles, etc. Before you bait your hole, you had best check with your state dept. of wildlife. I do know it is illegal in Oklahoma... That money would buy two or three abu 7000's and probably poles also. LOL

4. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    It is illegal in Missouri. It is legal to do noodling in a season but only in natural objects.

5. NIMROD

NIMROD New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Only Code On Boxes In Arkansas I Could Find,was Nothing Raised Above Surface To Aid In Capture Natural Or Artifical .

6. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    NO, this is the practice of taking big fish that are nesting, this is a bad thing as the young are wiped out within minutes by gills, bass and many other fish when you remove their guard. I know don't tell me, it is not against the law where you live.

It is lawful to jump from great height but I don't do that either.

7. Katphish

Katphish New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Hey yall, i personally dont like the idea of artificial boxes, but I dont think we need to criticize those who do it as long as its legal where they live.

8. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have seen large flatheads trapped in pockets when the river fell rapidly. I believe that God somewhat watches over his flock and decides when even a fish has spent its alloted time on earth. Makes no difference if it is by hook, by hand or by nature. No one needs to preach about the sin of noodling - there is far more sin than this to face in our everday lives.

9. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    In Texas it is illegal but I've seen them built out of 55 gallon drums.

Cut the top and the bottom lid out of the drum. Do not cut the thick rim of the barrel but the inside of the lid. Also make sure the drum is clean.

Put a 2x4 the length of the drum so it extends a few inches beyond both ends (rims). Take a front end loader/forklift/bobcat etc.. and apply pressure squeezing the drum toward the ground, making sure the machine is on the 2x4.

You want the barrel to come out oblong in shape so the gap in the ends is 14" to 16". Once the drum is bent in the desired shape take some plate and cut ends to weld back on the drum. At one end cut a hole at the bottom edge approx. 8"-10" allowing a entrance.

Before placing the drum in the water put some sand or gravel in the barrel. (approx 4 or 5 5 gal. buckets)
    When placing the drum at the desired location always place the entrance directly down stream. Bury the drum just enough to anchor it in the water and place a couple big rocks on it to keep it anchored so if you get a heavy rain they won't wash out. At normal flow it's best to have 1' to 2' of water above the barrel.

This technique also works well in ponds so the catfish have a place to lay and protect their eggs.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong to do I'm just trying to try to help Nimrod (a fellow brother).

Hope this helps....
    Shelby

10. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    I go noodling what you do is when the water is low you stick a barrel in the mud then when the water is up you wait a week or two for the cats to move in & go noodling.Be carefull for turtles though.& just so everyone knows the truth not everyone targets nesting cats & I target cats that aren't nesting & not everyone keeps what they catch or only keep what they need.

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    On the Old BOC there was a post by others that stated 4x6x 2.5 high and to use oak or hickory....can't remember.....hmmmmm.

:confused2:

12. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    I know, and have talked to a lot of old Okies that noodle all the time, biggest I'v seen 58 lbs. come from cashe creek Lawton Ok. Now me, I'm as OKIE as they come but I have no desire to stick my hand in a dark hole in the water. But bless them that do and I don't see a thing wrong with it.

13. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    NIMROD, I use 55 gal plastic barrels. i know guys that use barrels on down to 15 gal.

14. WT101

WT101 New Member

State:
    AL
    I'd be curious to know what those of you who cast stones would think if I told you that several folks that I know place twice as many boxes as they noodle. So for every box they noodle, there's another box left alone as a haven. What say you to that?

15. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Easy gents, lots of diversity of people and how we grew up on this site, different lifestyles etc. show some love for your brother and post nice or don't post at all!

16. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    I've heard of people using old cast Iron tubs. They just cut out a hole on one end and drop it in the water upside down.