Noodlin

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by PeterBeutler, Aug 10, 2008.

1. PeterBeutler

PeterBeutler New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Now I know that a few of you don't like it, but I would like to do it before I move up north in a couple weeks.

I live in Rose Hill, which is in Butler County if you didn't know.

Anyone have any holes or spots that they know of?

All fish would be CPR'd of course. Me and my buddy just wanna give it a go. lol cause from what I hear, not too many flatties live up in new york :p

Thanks for any help.

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    No, and if I did I probably wouldnt tell you. Its most likely too late in the year in most waters to noodle without going in deep anyway. You have only one river close enough to do it on and you only have 21 days left to do it. You and your partner will also have to buy a handfishin permit for $27.15 each. At the end of the season you are required to fill out a survey. Is it worth it? Also, if you are wanting to noodle the Arkansas you will need a jet boat or mud motor to get to any good spot, unless you are willing to walk miles. Access is horrible.

3. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    peter,if ya want to keep it legal,yeah you do have to get the permit,and yes you will be restricted to just a couple of rivers here in ks,arkansas and somewhere else.prime time hand fishin is done during the spawn which is probably over everywhere by now but that doesnt mean you cant catch em still.and as far as the price of the permit,i think it is well worth it to not have to worry about a stiff ticket or jailtime.i have jumped out of airplanes and jumped off of tall bridges and neither one comes close to catchin a fish with your bare hands.good luck if ya go and be safe-caleb

ps.you might want to check out the kdwp website before you go for some rules and regs

4. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

why is everyone assumeing he wouldnt do things the right way?

5. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Why dont you have things nice to say? Lets see. I didnt assume he wouldnt do it legal. I was just informing him of all of the requirements to legally noodle. I hope you are not referring to my post.

6. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

how is asking a question not being nice?

7. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    Nevermind.:tounge_out::smile2: Your post was pointless. Atleast I gave him info that he may not have known. I didnt assume anything. If he knew it already then I am just reminding him. You assumed that we were assumin!:wink::smile2:

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

well to answer the question,you should try the eurdora section of the kansas river now that the current has slacked off and water levels have fallen.alot of undercut banks down that way and alot of shallow enough water to be able to wade and check them out.i think that people just didnt like the noodleing part even though i am unsure why its leagel in kansas so go for it and have fun,just rememeber if it hard its a turtle if its fuzzy might be a beaver lol have fun with it

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

and yes i was referring to your post

10. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i suggest you do it with someone that knows how for your first trip

i had a blast watching a friend do it and would not recomend doing tree snags i was tought to try rocks

11. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

anywhere a cat would hide like a hole in the bank deep under cut banks big rocks hollowed out logs old car bodies just about anything really even old baot ramps will hold faltheads it the current has dug them out a bit enoung for them to hide in. its never the catfish that worry me though it the turtles that are everwhere that freak me out..lol

12. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    If you want to noodle the Arkansas I would suggest using a small jon boat to float down the river. Once you get out of the city you will start to see old car bodies and some wood snags. Not many big rocks unless you go way south. The river is mostly shallow and all sand. Holes are sporadic. A boat or canoe would be almost essential. You can float to Mulvane in less than a day. With the spawn most likely all over they will probably not be as aggressive but should still bite.
    Atleast the spawn is over and all the little fishies are off on their own.Thanks for making the choice to cpr. If you want to r&r fish before you leave for New York, let me know, I can help in that dept.:wink::big_smile:

13. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Probably because he stated he was in Butler County, which has no legal noodling waters and he talked like he had never noodled before. My take was that he might not know the rules. Could be wrong, but would hate to see him get in trouble. Had he asked about places to noodle on the Arkansas River for example I would have assumed he knew the rules.

14. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    Probably because he stated he was in Butler County, which has no legal noodling waters and he talked like he had never noodled before. My take was that he might not know the rules. Could be wrong, but would hate to see him get in trouble. Had he asked about places to noodle on the Arkansas River for example I would have assumed he knew the rules.
    thats kinda what i thought.i was'nt sure if he was gonna be like most people and go wherever and whenever he wants or just didnt know its only legal in certain places.maybe he'll chime back in and clear up the confusion:confused2:.also Peter,im not sure how far you are from marysville,but downstream from the big waterfall on the blue looks pretty good.:wink:also about the turtles,ive been told that they wont go in the rocks cuz their shell will get caught up.