Noodles or Jugs

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by jstall, Apr 7, 2007.

1. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    How many fish noodles? How many fish jugs anchored? Which one is best?

2. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana

3. MississippiJugHead

MississippiJugHead New Member

State:
    Missouri
  4. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    I partial to limb lines myself.

5. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    I get most of my eater size on anchored jugs and my bigger fish off free floating jugs in the channel. Limb lines for flatties.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    jugs between those two. i now try to catch everything on rod and reel. i still make one or two trips jugging every year. i have been catching enough on rod and reel to fill the freezer and it is so much more fun to reel them in.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Noodles or jugs is a personal preference, but noodles cost more, generally last longer, and take up less space. Jugs from 2-liter soda bottles are considerably more visible, which can be extremely important when freefloating jugs on a large river or lake. Because my jugs generally get spread out over a mile or more, I prefer the 2-liter jugs for visibility. Cost definitely is a consideration for me. Right now, I have one set of freefloating jugs for me, one for my oldest daughter, one for my son-in-law, and one for one of my grandsons; add to that spare sets of jugs for those times I have friends fishing with me, and that's a lot of jugs. Seeing several of your jugs hung up on the logcatcher of a barge going by isn't nearly so bad if the jugs have cost $.25 rather than $1.25 each. It costs me $.05 per jug to paint them bright yellow, which my testing has shown to be the color I can see best on the water under all conditions.
    Freefloating or anchored is another matter entirely. In some states, freefloating jugs have to be 'attended' at all times during daylight hours, while anchored jugs are classified at trotlines, and only have to be checked once a day. If this is the case in your state, and you want to do any rod & reel fishing, you need to go with anchored jugs, especially if you jug the current. Freefloating jugs on the Arkansas River doesn't give me any time at all to fish with rod & reel. I always catch a lot more fish on my freefloating jugs than on my anchored jugs, but while you often find some honeyholes you didn't expect while freefloating jugs, anchored jugs let you check out spots that you do feel might produce for you. Both freefloating and anchored jugs can locate hotspots for you that you can go back to and fish with rod & reel. Also, I don't know about everyone else, but I've never caught a flathead over a couple of pounds on a jug that was freefloating in the current; on jugs that had stopped freefloating because they got hung up on bottom, yes. So, if I'm targeting flatheads, I'm using anchored jugs.

8. texasboy1

texasboy1 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I heard that all noodles in Texas had to be white for recreational fisherman. Is that true or not ? If it is true, does anyone out there know where I can get paint for the existing colored noodles that I have, that will stick to the foam ?

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Rusty, your best bet is to get white noodles. You can do a search on the web and find dealers who sell the noodles in the white color, or try e-bay and see if you can get them cheaper. Other than that, go to some coin operated laundry's in your area and check the trash for chlorox bottles that has been discarded. You can get them if you look. The person running the laundry would probably save you some if you were to promise them some catfish fillets. But, if you promise such payment, keep your word as you could ruin it for a lot of brothers in the future.

10. jstall

jstall New Member

State:
    Gary Texas
    Yes, the jugs have to be white in Texas. Check page 33 of the Hunting and Fishing Regulation book. A good guy name Gentleben on here give me the address to a place in Houston that sells the white foam. It is S.S.I in Houston Texas. The people at SSI are very friendly and helpful. There number is 713-862-3900. The price, when I purchased mine was 6ft X 2 1/2 inch, 3.24 and the 3inch was 4.86.
    Good luck
    Joe

11. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    I have some home made jugs (blocks) that I put togther from some 5"x5"x9" styrofoam blocks that I bought from Garden Ridge. They stack really well in a big rubber maid container. My wife started using Purex laundry detergent. It comes in a plastic white jug that's about a gallon size. So far I've saved about 5 of them. I haven't had a chance to rig them up yet, but I'm thinking they will work fairly well. All jugs or noodles in Texas must be white unless you have a commercial fishing license. Then I think they have to be orange.

12. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I LIKE NOODLES.

13. Massa Blake

Massa Blake New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have always used jugs, and limb lines, but it is just what you are use to when it comes down to it.

14. Wally_jr

Wally_jr New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I can see the benefits of both. I like old bleach jugs because they have a handle and it is easier for me to hang on to. I bought some reflective tape off ebay and put a little square on four sides of the jug so i can see them at night.

15. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Got a couple of hundred 8" chem lights from Akwolf at the Pickwick gathering. Going to attach them to my jugs with a big rubber band for nighttime jug fishing.

16. jrh_67

jrh_67 New Member

State:
    texas
    I use White PVC jugs I made myself and they work great. Mine have 5 hooks and are anchored with a soup can filled with concrete. I usually only use them when it's really windy and the water is really choppy though. I catch fish on them otherwise but just seem to catch alot more when it's windy and rough water.....just my 2 cents worth.

17. bwillaub

bwillaub New Member

State:
    missouri
    Jugs for me.....always!:wink:

18. jsharris

jsharris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am kinda partial to Ramen Noodles myself. The Chicken and Spicy shrimp flavors are to die for!