Noodles and Jugs (help?)

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by CatCannon23, Jun 15, 2009.

1. CatCannon23

CatCannon23 New Member

State:
    kenutcky
    i have recently taken up the art of noodling and jugging. took sum half ince pvc pipe, and pvc pipe caps and swimming noodles and made me 30 noodles. i put 1 ounce wieght on them and fished them at diff. depths from a foot to 6 feet. i am using 4/0 and 2/0 kahle circle hooks. i threw them out in a cove n taylorsville lake last night (about 12 foot of water with alot stick ups and rocks)with live and cut blue gill on them. i ended up only catching 2 small blues and 2 huge snapping turtles. almost all my juggs were wrapped up in limbs baitless or swivles had been straighten. i used twine so i knew the line would break. i didnt put wieght in my pvc pipe to help them stand up when a fish is on. i was woundering what i am doing wrong to basicly get skunked with that many noodles. like i said i am new at this but would love some advice. moreover i have catfished the past 2 monday and havent had much luck, is it just a bad time right now for them to be biting.

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Jug fishing is just like any other fishing, there are good spots and some
    not so good. Its mostly trail and error. Knowing where not to put them is
    almost as good as knowing where to put them. Snapping turtles will not
    normally bite a floating jug. They may have got on after the jugs were
    hung up. A good fish will hang you up if he can. After he hangs up he
    can break off. You may have done a lot better than you think. Don't
    get discouraged jug fishing is a lot of fun. Keep them in the water, try
    different baits and different locations you will hit on something sooner
    or later. Good luck to you.

3. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Try open deeper water will help keeping them from breaking off . Blues can be open water fish . If they get to the bank or timber it is hard to get them out . Try circle hooks 3 to 5/0 might help . And the longer the lines the deeper they can hang you under stuff . Good luck and keep at it. As far as success they might be spawning but that is a complete guess .

4. CatCannon23

CatCannon23 New Member

State:
    kenutcky
    how do u guys hook your live blue gill or shad?

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always cut em up . That might be one reason yours got hung up so bad .I am sure some guys use them live with no problem tho .

6. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    You might want to try some hot dogs soaked in garlic and kool-aid. My buddy and I went 2 weeks ago and caught 18, 3 to 5 lb blues. You just by some cheap hot dogs cut them into 1 inch pieces put them in a container with 2 heaping teaspoons of minced garlic and 2 pkgs of strawberry or cherry kool-aid cover with water and let them set in the fridge for a couple of days. Works for us!

7. bearman3176

bearman3176 New Member

State:
    Natural Bridge
    I ALWAYS HOOK THEM THREW THE LIPS IF IM AFTER THE FLATTIES AND CUT THEM UP FOR THE BLUES . THE BLUES SEEM TO LIKE CUT BAIT BETTER BUT I HAVE CAUGHT THEM ON LIVE BAIT.

8. cowboybo

cowboybo Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    cut bait works realy well for us but the hot dog thang sound interresting aswell.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    As already stated, you're fishing where they ain't! I find that very easy to do when I'm jugging lakes. I mainly jug the Arkansas River, and I just let the jugs freefloat in the current.

10. 795

795 New Member

State:
    ky
    You may try running your noodles more often.I to have just started the noodle jugs and we try to run them every 2-3 hours. We still find a lot of cleaned and hung up lines,but you may get some of the fish that is getting off.You may already be doing this but just an idea. Good Luck !!!!!!!

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Josh Welcome to the BOC, from So. Illinois. :0a25::0a25::0a22:

12. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I am not an expert jug fisherman by anymeans, but I do have pretty good luck at it, so i will share what I know. I will not say it will work for you but it works for me.

1) I have 50 jugs. All numbered and 1-10 are 2 feet 11-20 are 4 feet 21-30 are 6-10 feet 31-40 are 15 feet, and 41-50 are really long and will hit bottom in most parts of the river, i do that on purpose. The difference in line depth allows me to find the fish.

2)I also use different kinds of baits on each depth. You never know what they want to bite, so I use a variety of baits. Crawlers, cut shad live shad and livers. And i try and remember which jugs had which bait on it. I even try and write it down. The longer jugs sitting on the bottom have bigger hooks on them with live gills or big chunks of skips.

3) I fish the river so i am constantly moving chasing my jugs down stream. But every hour I will rebait all my jugs and reposition them as needed.

4) I use mostly 3/0 circle hooks on my jugs. But will go bigger if targeting bigger fish especially if using gills

5) If your bait are you using snap swivels, if so i would change them out for barrel swivels. They wont break on ya as easy

jugging is alot of fun when you are catching fish, dont give up. I sure didnt have much luck my first few times. But I was also fishing somewhere where the fish werent. Good luck hopefully I helped you out and didnt leave any info out as well. SGT Shorey out

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    All of my jugs a weighted to the bottom. I hunt the fish with my locator and set my jugs when I find them. I don't always catch fish, because they may not be cats but I know the areas so I make a good guess. I use live bait (perch, bullhead and shad) as much as I can. This year I am going to try other baits that have be talked about on the BOC

14. JUG_LINE

JUG_LINE New Member

State:
    NE Oklahoma
    This is how I have done it for the past four years take a look at the pictures. :wink:

I use PVC packed with sand for a sinker so no lead for the kids. Apparently lead is bad for you. hum granddad taught me bite down my split shot when I was a kid go figure.

Anyways you can also see that these unwind themselves so setting them out is fast. See how the are cut so you can add different colors of noodle for identification at a distance. And also they can be slide apart to wind the line up and store them.

Also notice the main line is braided and I add beads and a barrel for the live baits amusement so they can swim in circles and not tangle the main line.

:cool2: Have fun

I have taken many fish in the 20's with this setup. Use strong hooks if you target big fish.

Also you can add 8 inch green glow sticks for night time fun. I get them off ebay for 14 dollars a 100.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  15. jogle1023

jogle1023 New Member

State:
    Shepherdsville
    When you jug or noodle fish it is the law to write your name and address on all of your jugs or noodles. You are only aloud 12 noodles or jugs per person in a boat( if I just read that right)... So be careful cause I seen one guy at T-ville with about a hundred out all over the place..

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  16. coler0kw

coler0kw New Member

State:
    ky
    YOU ARE ALLOWED 50 PER BOAT IN KY AND YES THEY MUST HAVE NAME AND ADDRESS ON THEM.

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    And only 1 single or multi barbed hook .

18. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky
    The way I read it, was 25 per person or 50 per boat...

19. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    50 per boat 1 hook per jug .

20. Titus

Titus New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, Ky

"One person may use no more than
    two sport fishing trotlines or 50 jug lines​
    (per boat) or 25 set lines at any one time."

Your right, 50 jugs per person or boat, 25 was for set lines. Does set lines mean limb lines?