Noodle length

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by jtyra, May 15, 2008.

1. jtyra

jtyra New Member

State:
    louisiana
    :angry:Hey i got a question on how deep to set the hook on a noodle? Mine are about 3 to 5 feet deep do i need to set it a little deeper?:eek:oooh:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Difficult answer. You need to set it at a depth the fish are feeding. Most fish, big cats included, will feed in shallower water at night and periods of low visibility. Sometimes your depth would be too deep. The best answer I can give you is to vary your depth until you catch some, then set all your jugs to that depth. The guys who scorn fishing with jugs don't know how much work it actually is... a lot more than watching a rod tip bounce up and down. LOL

3. tiny b

tiny b Active Member

State:
    TX
    A lot if variables in there but I usually fish in 5' of water or less this time of year where I'm at.

4. bwhupp

bwhupp New Member

State:
    Belleville
    I often run my lines that shallow, but a lot of it depends on the season and time of day. Sometimes, the lines might have to be dropped down real low. A lot depends on where the cats are... experiment with line length to find them.

5. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I ususally set mine at 4-6ft. I really don't think it makes that much difference unless you are talking a difference of 10 ft or more. 3-6 all the same. Catfish can smell for great distances and if they are hungry and come close then you are in luck. I tried setting up to 50 out at lengths varying from 3 to 15ft and I could never zero in on a perfect depth. I got hits on all of them at one time or another. Good luck.

6. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Catfish will feed on the edge of a creek or river channel in 15 - 25' of water during the summer. Therefore, I have droplines that are 12' - 40' with hooks at 5' intervals. During the day many of your larger blues will go back into the channel and that is why I have lines down to 40'. During the winter I find the blues stay much shallower so I have a second set of lines that are around 10 - 12' long with 2 hooks. First hook is 5' from the surface and the second is approx. 3' from the bottom. I have a wintering area that I fish for blues and they stay in about 12' of water and hang about 5 -10' down all winter. Hope this helps a little.

catman george

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I like to have a number of hooks spread out over the entire water column, ranging from 3' under the surface to as close to the bottom as possible. Be sure to check the regs in your state; some limit the number of hooks you can have on a line.