Noodle jugs

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jtholder00, Apr 11, 2006.

1. jtholder00

jtholder00 New Member

State:
    Minden, Louisia
    anyone know where you can order these in bulk?? Walmart charges too much for about the next couple of months.

2. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Go to Dollar General and get several of those noodles in whatever color you want. They come in 4-5 foot lengths. Make sure they have the hole in the center of them. When you get home cut them in equal pieces (I cut mine in 12- 15" sizes). Then take a piece of cord double the length of the noodle and run it through the center hole. Put a barrel swivel on that cord before you tie it up. The barrel swivel slides along the cord, which can aid in setting the hook after a take. Also puts the weight of the fish on one end of the jug so it flags when a fish is on. After you do that run your mainline (usually use 25-30 lb. test) however long you want it. Then at the other end of the mainline tie a 3 way swivel. The reason I use a 3 way swivel is to separate the sinker and the hook due to snags. For the sinker line use light line (10-15 lb. test) and make it longer than your hook line. After that use the same strength as your mainline for the hook line. Now you have a noodle with a 3 way rig that will float downriver or downwind in a lake and not get tangled up as often as a single line noodle. In my experience, if a cat in a river can get to some structure on the side of the bank, he's going to. Many times I will go to get the noodle and the cat will have tangled it up in a limb underwater. Good thing is, the only part tangled is the sinker, so I gently pull up until I see the fish, then get my hands on him. Then have my buddy give a firm pull on the jug and the sinker line breaks and I still have everything but the sinker (plus a nice cat)! Hope this helps.

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Want cheap jugs? Use clear 2-liter soda jugs; buy a can of yellow spray paint for less than a buck, and it will paint 20 jugs, if you're careful. Incidentally, about 2 or 3 ounces of clean gravel inside each jug will make it blow around less in the wind, and also cause the jug to stay in a tipped position after a bite. The jugline is tied around the neck of the jug; a bite tips the jug; the gravel all slides down into the neck of the jug and keeps it tipped. Cost? A nickle for the jug; add the cost of the line and hooks, and you've still got a cheap jug. Why yellow? After trying several other colors, including fleuroscent, I couldn't find anything that could be seen better under various conditions.

Some states, like Texas, requuire that jugs be a particular color. If you fish in such a state, please use that color, rather than yellow, so you'll be legal.

4. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I agree, those 2 liter jugs are cheaper, but more bulky. The noodles are maybe $1, with all tackle on it maybe $2-$3. Whatever floats your boat-I mean jug!

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I first read about the noodle jugs last year on the site. Immediately went to Wally's and bought the 4" diameter noodles in red, blue and yellow. Made up some jugs and put them out... only ones I could see half way decent was the yellow and I had to be within a 100 yards or so to see them. So, this spring I started to make more jugs, but this time it's going to be more costly. I am cutting a 3" PVC pipe into 16" sections. Buy two caps per section. I drill about a 1 1/16' diameter hole in each cap. Then I take a 24" piece of 1" PVC pipe, glue on an end cap, and stick it through the hole of one end cap. Slide it all the way down until I'm about 1" between the cap and the end cap...spread thick PVC glue on the 1" pipe, then slide the pieces together twisting them until the glue is set. This, I hope, will make a water proof connection. Then I glue on one end cap to the 3" pipe. I then held the pieces together to figure out where the 1" pipe will go through the end cap when fully assembled. Glog a hunk of glue at this point, apply glue to the 3" pipe and slide/twist all the pieces together. I then put 4 to 5 ounces of sinkers in the 1" pipe, drill a hole in the end and insert an eye bolt with nut, fasten the fittings down...pump a little clear silicone into the cap, then put it on the 1" pipe. It is a lot more expensive this way, but I have an almost indestructible jug that does not require any more room to store than a swimming pool noodle. and I can SEE these jugs. lol

6. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I got blaze orange and don't have a problem seeing them 150 yards away. I catch more on them than rods, so staying near them is not a problem.

7. edwin5050

edwin5050 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Dollar General here has them for $1. Walmart is $1.43. I don't jug fish but I use these for line tenders on my rods. I split them length wise and put them around my rod and hooks for transport.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you want smaller jugs, try going by some oil change businesses and picking up empty oil jugs. Some are flat, some are square; get the type you like. Pennzoil is already yellow, but remember that with smaller jugs, you have to stay close to them or they'll disappear in the distance.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    This is what I was trying to describe in post #5, above.

Attached Files:

10. Mid-MO fisherman

Mid-MO fisherman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Mo
    Just want to make sure that oil jugs are cleaned out very well. Would hate to polute our fishin waters anymore than they already are.

11. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    You know I have always wanted to put out some jugs and float downriver with them and I never have. I may try that this year it seem like it would be a lot of fun.

ST

12. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    jug line fishing is a blast.if you go take your binoculars with you.and if you go at night be prepaired to stay til dawn.theres nothing more exciteing than seeing a jug go down like a shot and seamingly just vanish . theen your not fishin anymore your huntin.its not quite as exciteing as a strutin gobbler on the other side of a brush pile but its close.

13. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    SeedTick, you can put your jugs in at Toad Suck and float them down past Bigelow in a day. Seems like the further downstream you get, the better the fishing, but we start catching fish within sight of the launching ramp.

14. JRS

JRS New Member

State:
    Lufkin,Texas
    I have used jugs several times on Sam Rayburn but so far have had no luck. Must be doing something wrong.

15. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I've put jugs out on ponds before and they are a bunch of fun. I have used yo-bobs to but they are too small for the river. You use to be able to get them at Bass Pro they are a big yellow and orange bobber with a yo-yo built into the bottom.

ST

16. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    We ran jugs monday and brought home 16. I usaly use either a 20 ouonce coke bottle or a oil bottle. The only problem with the oil bottle is the string will pull off the cap because there is no lip. I suggest a drop of superglue on the knot or something to keep it from coming off.

Noodles are everywhere right now but I am looking for the yellow ones. Have not seen them yet this year.

I like your idea about the pvc jugs but here is a cheaper way. take the pvc in about a 1/2 or 3/4 and slide it thru the noodle and it will do the same thing.

17. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    By the way, if you plan to drop off jugs in the current of the Arkansas River and float down with them, don't use a jug that has a smaller diameter than a 2-liter jug or you will have a lot of trouble seeing them. You can expect your jugs to get spread out from one side of the river to the other, and you'll have to work hard to keep them from spreading out up and down the river for more than half a mile. It's a totally different game from jugging on a backwater or lake with no current.

18. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Catsmith, don't think bad of me, but the noodels that I got are HOT PINK, you can see em a long way off, and no man in his right mind is going to take em. I made up 25, and I think I have $6.00 invested in the lot.

One good thing about swim noodles when you roll em up you just stick the hook in the side of the noodle, just be sure when your on the road to cover em up or they will blow out of the truck, Yes I found that out the hard way.

19. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Hot Pink!!!! Boy, you cajuns sure do start a lot of fads. Now, where can I get hot pink noodles, and better yet, could I see them on these red lakes of Oklahoma... kinda blend in.

jtrew...your suggestion on using nothing smaller than a 2 liter jug on the Arkansaw mean I need to make my jugs out of 4" PVC pipe. LOL

20. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Yep. And when you see several of your jugs hung up on the front of a barge, you feel real bad after all that work went into them.