Noodle Jugs for Christmas

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Charlie365, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    See the pictures below for some improved noodle jugs I made for Christmas presents for my fishin' friends last year.

The pipe is 1/2 inch PVC plastic which fits the foam noodles perfectly.
    Standard trotline clips are fastened on the opposite end (see photos including my spokesmodels). You'll also notice reflective tape on the foam end pipe cap.

The trick of this jug is what you can't see. Inside the pipe is a piece of rebar about 5 inches long. You could use old nuts & bolts, whatever for the weight. Before you set the line out you tip it so the rebar slides to the noodle end and it will sit flat on the surface of the water.

When Mr. Cat takes the bait, the jug and pipe will tip up, the weight inside will slide to the other end, and the whole thing will stand up in the water, sort of a built-in bite alarm.

Of course you may need a weight on the end of the line to meet state regs. There are also usually labeling requirements, I believe, and they have to be attended regularly.

I can't take credit for this myself. I found it on the internet somewhere and built up a bunch of these. A couple of these makes a great, economical Christmas present for your catfishin' buddies.

Attached Files:

2. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I got stopped by the Game Warden 2 weeks ago, He charged me with the use of "Free Floating" Juglines.

I showed him the heavy weights that were attached to each one of them. I discussed the fact with him that since there was a "restraint" on each of them that they were NOT "free to float".

He said it didn't matter & to tell my story to the judge. My court date is 11/30/06. I'll post the results after that.

3. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Good luck with the court date Elliot!!

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the ruling will be that the weight has to be heavy enough to prevent a fish from moving the jug. Probably talking about 2 or 3 pounds. They will not agree with your definition as to what is "free floating" and what is "weighted". The courts will back the game warden. It is up to your legislature to define how much weight is actually required.

5. TomV

TomV New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Missouri
    Hey Elliot. In Missouri (as you probably already know) you only have to have a 2-pound weight for the jug to be considered a non-free-floating jug. I now only do free floating since we had lines cut, no jugs missing but fish taken. We would check them twice a day when we had them out. Now we go out with them and let them float and drift while we watch and hopefully and usually catch catfish.

Good Luck! Keep us posted and I hope you win.

6. Charlie365

Charlie365 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    From what I've seen, the regulations relating to Jug fishing vary considerably from state to state. In Kansas, the regulations say....

In addition to two lines, a fisherman may set one trotline with not more than 25 hooks or, instead of a trotline, an angler may use eight setlines containing not more than two hooks each. Trotlines and setlines may not be set within 150 yards of any dam. Setlines, trotlines, and any unattended lines must be checked at least once every 24 hours and must be tagged securely and plainly with the fisherman’s name and address. Trotlines and setlines are prohibited on all department-managed waters under 500 surface acres, as well as in the waters at Crawford, Meade, and Scott state parks. Other restrictions may be applied by posted notice.

Setline: A line, anchored at one point, with no more than two hooks, and not associated with a hand-operated mechanical reel.

So, my noodle jugs would be considered "setlines" and must be anchored at one point. There is nothing that I can find that defines just what qualifies as "anchored". If they mean enough weight so a fish can't move it, they should provide more information.