Noodle Jugs for Catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by Whistler, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Original post made by Darrel Miller(Cornhusker) for Jerry Routh (Bluegil) on September 9, 2002

Jerry Routh(Bluegil) graciously agreed to let me post the picture and description of his “Noodle Jug”. The credit for a great job and all the questions belong to him. (Cornhusker)

[​IMG]

I purchase the 5' noodles with the holes in them (they make some without holes). I buy them in the florescent colors either orange or green. I also carry a few white and yellow ones. Later, I'll tell you why. I cut the 5' noodles into 4 equal lengths. I cut 1\2 inch pcv pipe pieces slightly longer than the noodle pieces. Letting the pipe stick out on each end of the noodle helps protect the foam rubber from line tears and makes the line feed through the noodle better. After assembling the pipe inside the noodle, I cut some plastic coated copper wire and pull it through the pipe leaving about 6" stick out on each end. The wire I use is the same wire they use for submergible well pumps. I then bend the wire at a 90 degree angle immediately at the end of the pcv pipe. Then I bend the wire straight down the side of the noodle. Then I bend the wire in a "U shape" as shown in the photograph. Then trim the wire pieces so they will hold the line securily but not so long that it is hard to feed out line. Again, look at the photograph. Next, I thread 100 lb test braded (don't use wound) nylon line. I prefer white but it really doesn't make any difference. If I am making free floating jugs, I tie on 30 feet of nylon, if I am making anchored jugs I tie on 50 feet of line. I will tell you why later. Pull the line through the pcv pipe and wind it around the wire. Write your name on the noodle according to the regulations in your state. Now the noodle is almost completed except for the terminal tackle. At this point I go one of two ways:

FOR FREE FLOATING JUGS --- put a slip sinker on the nylon line and then tie on a barrel swivel that is large enough to keep the sinker from sliding down to the hook. I tie on 50 lb mono on the other side of the barrel swivel to which I attach the hook. Typically I make the leader approximately 2 feet long. This wraps around the jugs well for storage. Hook the hook into the noodle and you are ready to store it in a bag. I use a military duffle bag I got at an Army Surplus store.

FOR ANCHORED JUGS --- tie 50 feet of braded nylon on the noodle instead of 30 feet. Tie a barrel swivel and clip to the end of the nylon. This is used to attach to your anchor. I make the anchors out of lead by pouring the lead into small aluminum cat food containers. Before the lead can set up I put a wire loop in and let the lead setup and presto!!!! an anchor!!! You can also use large sinkers or "what ever" as an anchor. One of my friends uses a brick!! After the anchor clip is assembled (don't put the anchor on until you are ready to fish) make up your hook and leader ties as follows. I use troutline clips and put about 2 foot of 50 lb mono then the hook. These I keep in a separate styrofoam container, like an old minnow bucket. Just hang them around the inside and hook them around the rim. Now you are ready to fish. The fun is about to start. All your work is about to pay off because you Darrel Miller, are about to catch a Blue Cat or Flathead or "for God's sake" a Channel Catfish.

FISHING THE JUGS --- When I get to the lake, I check my sonar unit to see where most fish are feeding. I am talking about all fish, not just cats. Remember, they all eat off the same table!!!! With this information, I decide on the depth to float my free floating jugs. Bait them up with cut bait and watch. You can adjust the depth by unwinding or winding in the line. The jugs set flat in the water. When you get a bite they will tip up. I usually set like one orange jug then a row of green ones then another orange one on the other end of the row. Then I will set another row with Green ones on the end and orange ones in the middle. Makes it eash to know when you have collected all your jugs. That way you can observe your lead and trailing jug. If a jug gets out of pattern it probably has a cat on it. I use binoculars to check them while I rod and reel fish near by. I usually set two groups of 15 jugs when using free floating jugs. In Missouri you are allowed 33 hooks per fisherman including your rod and reel. I check my jugs often because jugs without bait don't catch much!!!!

When I use the anchored jugs I am typically fishing deeper water on a break next to shallow water. I set the jugs in let's say 30 feet of water a close distance from 45 feet of water. The reason for the additional length of line is that the cat can pull the jug into deep water and you need enough line that your jug will still float.