Noodle fishing

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by aaron, Sep 22, 2007.

1. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    we set 30+ noodles in a local lake last night with various types of bait (garlic chicken hearts,garlic chicken liver,regular hearts n livers,bream and shiners)

each noodle had 4-5 hooks

we came home with 8, 2-4lb blues

2 caught on garlic hearts one was SMALL we threw it back

the rest were caught on shiners

nothing on the livers or bream

anyway the main reason i made this post was to ask about hooks
    we are useing 2/0-3/0 eagleclaw trotline hooks

we had alot of lines with "fish snot" on em but no fish
    we also had some fish just come off while we were pulling the line in
    some of our fish were barely hooked through the skin on the outside of the lips

is there a better hook to use for this? one with a large eye

thanks
    aaron

edit

i forgot to add
    most of my lines are 19' from noodle to the weight(use a large washer)

the lake bottom is fairly flat it was dug when they built I-49
    generally when you get 15-20 feet from the bank you are in 17-20 feet of water

there are a few high spots in the 15' range but the depth change is gradual

as far as i know there is no natural structure in the lake and we havent seen any holes or humps on the fish finder

thanks again

2. Claude

Claude New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I just returned from my local flow with 11 channels and blues, all 2 to 5 pounds. I caught them all on chicken breast chunks that I "soaked" in Jello Strawberry-Banana powder mix for 48 hours (don't add water). I have been very pleased with the 4/0 circle hooks I use with my noodles. The fish pretty much hook themselves in the side of their jaw when they take the bait.
    I also use a net when picking them up. I fish in a kayak, and the last thing I need in my lap is an unhappy catfish.

3. MaîtreDePoisson

MaîtreDePoisson New Member

State:
    Bells, Tennessee
    You use hooks with noodling? I thought that was where you reached into holes and hand-caught the fish without hooks nor anything like that.

4. aaron

aaron New Member

State:
    louisiana
    claude
    what kind of line do you use on your noodles?
    the smallest twine i can find local barely fits through the eye on the "big eye" trot line hooks i have

or have you found some circle hooks with larger eyes ?

thanks
    aaron

5. Claude

Claude New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use 25lb mono. I just wrap the line around the noodle for storage and use a rubber band for depth control. I'm fishing much shallower water than you however in the rivers I fish. None of my lines are more than 5 ft. long.

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dont ya mean jugging?

7. rodenberg

rodenberg New Member

State:
    missouri
    ya I think he means juggin just with swimming pool noodles. I do it all the time on the missouri river but I drift them. I also only use one hook per noodle. I use 8-0 gamakatsu octopus circles with 200# braid. I have landed some realy good fish with this method last fall pulled in a 73# blue doing this.

8. jedt

jedt New Member

State:
    Cameron,Texas
    I use nubber 36 trotline tarred string about 300 lb test. Easier to handle that way. Go to circle hooks because they set the hook on those fish themselves.
    i use a 5/0 eagle claw catches anything from 1lb on up.

9. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How long did you wait to check? We arent allowed to noodle/jug in Iowa but we do set bank poles from time to time and our catch increase dramaticly when we switched to circles. I am suprised you dont have a net in boat? Or did I miss that. We set our poles give them 2 hours and start running if cats are running we keep at 2 hours if not we go to 4 hours.

10. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i like truturns on my jugs. I never use any hook smaller than 6/0.

11. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    I think people who would stick there hand in a hole under the water to get a cat or something else to bite down on it or grab has lost there noodles lol.I admit i dont have the marbles to do that myself but ive seen it done.Not this ole boy,my luck a big alligator turtle would be there and take my finger off.:embarassed:

12. sbowes77

sbowes77 New Member

State:
    missouri
    i use gallon glass jars and #18 braided line and 5/0 khale hooks 1' from the top caught fish from 20's to 2lbs average is about 8lbs or so hot dogs all the way i also float with mine and check them when i catch a fish

13. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    (Dirty Jobs) I just caught the tail end of it. I was hoping it would come back on so I could see it from the beginning. I have heard that lots of people drown each year attempting Noodling. I guess they end up Noodling a Catfish large enough to Noodle them...