Noodle color for jugs?

Discussion in 'Alternative Methods of Catching Catfish' started by Kelmar, May 28, 2009.

1. Kelmar

Kelmar New Member

State:
    Bixby, Oklahoma
    What seems to be the most visible color to rig a set jugs from the swimming noodles?

Thanks Mark

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Mark, this is just a matter of opinion. Texas law requires white jugs. In all my experience, using the reddish/pinkish colored noodles, blue, green, white and yellow, my preference hands down is for the yellow noodles. White looks too much like the reflection of light on the waves. The other colors are visible, but the yellow is more visible than the others.

3. sheldonc

sheldonc New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I like the yellow, pink and green. I hate white. You end up chasing every peice of styrofoam on the lake.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I agree with AwShucks about the yellow. I tried the lime green but they wre hard to see on Ft Gibson and thats where I fish most of the time.

5. catman george

catman george New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Ok Guys I am going to throw my .02 worth in on this one. The best color may depend on the water color you are fishing. I jug fish Kaw and orange,pink and lime green are the best colors there it seems. Ft Gibson is much clearer so orange and pink may be better. It also may depend on the distance that you are from the jugs. At an extreme range the yellow might fade out because of reflection off the water. It also might have something to do with ones eyesight, some are better than others.

6. 1 4 Fishing

1 4 Fishing New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i like blue it show up realy good

7. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    I am usually less than 300 yds from my jugs so the yellow shows up good for me. I had a harder time seeing the lime green. I have never tried the orange.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I tried a lot of colors on my jugs before settling on bright yellow. Fluorescent green works as well, but you have to paint the jugs white before painting them green to get the good fluorescent color; more trouble and expense, and doesn't work any better than plain bright yellow. I buy cans of paint at Wal Mart for a buck apiece, and a can will paint a set of 20 2-liter soda jugs if I'm careful. Hot pink probably rates third. Hunter's orange doesn't work as well as you would expect it to; probably rates fifth or sixth. Another thing that's critical for visibility, is the diameter of the jug; that determines height above the water's surface. I've tried the smaller noodles, and under lots of conditions, they simply disappear from sight once they get a couple or three hundred yards away. Where and how I jug, I need to be able to see my jugs at 1/2 or 3/4 mile away.