noobie serious question list

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Raven, May 29, 2009.

1. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    The noobie Serious question list..

• What is line Memory?
    • What Catfish Rigs are good staples for river fishing? <Tech drawing would be nice>
    • Bait Casters For B-day my DH got me a CatMaxx Combo and I have yet to use it .. Is there a way to master bait casters without killing yourself and everyone else onboard the boat?
    • Freezing Bait like shiners and small fish .. How do you do this properly?

Thanks Raven

2. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    1. Line memory is no good, I find it bad with the spin cast reels where the line make then little coils, gets knoted up and anything else a line can do, a line condition called reel magic will help with the problem.2. a carolinia rig is a good rig with a no-roll sinker.3. Pratice pratice and more pratice, also set your reel so the line will barley drop to the ground when line release button is pushed. Pratice at home not in the boat.4. I do not freeze shiners I just buy fresh each time. Gills, I put in a bag and stick them in my bait freezer.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Memory is when your line "remembers" the shape of being spooled around your reel and doesn't want to go straight.

There are many catfish rigs for rivers but an easy one is -----08------J
    (- = line) (0 = weight) (8 = swivel) (j = hook) with maybe a foot and a half to two feet between the swivel and hook

Take your baitcaster and put tie a nice size weight on to the end of it take it to an empty baseball field and don't leave until you can cast without a backlash. Maybe check out youtube for some directions on setting the brake for less backlash. Don't learn on the water especially in a boat!

If you know you are going to freeze bait it is ideal to put it on ice while it is still alive and get it sealed in freezer bags or ideally vacuum sealed bags. Don't let the fish sit in water till they start to float and then take them home and freeze them. If you are catching shad to freeze it is good to throw them in a five gallon bucket filled with water for a few minutes then right on the ice, then right in the freezer bags once home.

Hope this helps.
    Niko

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    they have told you right the only thing ill add is the vacume bags like mentioned or submersing the fish in water and squeezing out the remaining air out of the bag before sealing is best, be it fish for bait or fish to eat air around the fish when freezing will cause freezer burn and ruin it removing all the air with a vacume or water will keep it fresh for a long time.

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Good advice.Couldn,t add much to this except WELCOME to the BOC Dee!:big_smile:

6. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    the 3-way and Carolina.

Attached Files:

7. wildturkey

wildturkey New Member

State:
    Texas
    I had to re-read that 3rd question a couple of times. :confused2:

8. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats the way I fish for catfish and its the best way!

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Oh by the Way Dee, Welcome to the BOC.

10. Raven

Raven New Member

State:
    alabama
    thanks everyone

11. sscharlie

sscharlie Well-Known Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Stan
    I hope Big George doesn't find #3, I'm even having a hard time resisting that one myself...LOL

12. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I hope he DOES find it! He's the best at describing such techniques! :smile2:

Welcome to the BOC, Dee.