Non-stink bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Ellis, Jul 9, 2006.

1. Ellis

Ellis New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    What are some Catfish baits that dont smell? Some days I just cant take the smell of my punch bait.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Catfish bait and not smell,,,, never gonna happen. Actually things like grasshoppers, worms, perch, liver, shrimp, hot dogs won't smell too much. But it is the smell which attracts most of the catfish...you sure you dont want to fish with it?

3. Gibbzilla

Gibbzilla New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I like nightcrawlers and large minnows. I've honestly had more luck with channels with these than I have with stink baits. Of course, I haven't been a catfisherman for a long time.

4. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't use stink baits either. Live (or freshly dead) bait will catch about any cat. I like to use what I can catch for bait. I've seen minnows, nightcrawlers, salamanders, helgimites,crickets, catapla worms, and crayfish for sale at one place or another. Better yet stick a minnow trap in a small creek or pond near your house. Anything you catch should work for a channel cat. Fishing sholud be FUN. Don't use baits or techniques you are not comfortable with...relax.

5. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I carry a small tube of toothpaste in my tackle, for the really bad stuff. Just put a small amount on your hands, then rinse:big_smile:

6. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    A week ago last Friday, I caught a 5.3lb channel and his stomach had one small bluegill about three inches long in it's belly, everything else in it's bulging belly was mulberries. They like good fruit as well as the stinky stuff.

7. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    Stinkbait smells like catfish to me, I love it. Chicken liver don't smell to bad.