non slip coating

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Big Dav, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Hello everyone,
    What type of spray in or roll on coating have you all had luck with? I have Rhino Liner i my truck and it is dangerous when wet. A friend that owns a body shop sprays bed liners and they are also very slick when wet.
    I have seen some roll on on Cabelas web site but don't know if that is the way I want to go. I would like something more than the textured paint that is now in my boat, a Lowe 2072 roughneck. It works pretty good until it gets wet and then you better be careful. :crazy:
    I would like something that is rubberized for sound deadening purposes and something with a good non slip texture. I also what to stay away from dark colors, I need something in a sand / tan color.
    Pictures would be great.:big_smile:

Thanks once again,
    David

2. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I put a vinyl floor in mine this year and it looks and works really well.
    Non slip also, got it from cabelas. Its called deko-dot and is for wet slick areas. The raised dots keep it non slip. I used the tan color.

3. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I would like to see pictures of it if possible. I will see what I can find on Cabelas site. How does it attach to the boat?
    Thanks
    David

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Two words. Eco Tuff.

It is loaded with rubber granules of the size you choose and the load density you choose.

I'm using their below waterline formula without any aggregate on some pontoons.
    I can tell you, the coating is tough. I've taken a steel brush to it and have yet to compromise the coating. This is a thin coating that goes on with a roller. I've got 22 coats on the pontoons which equals to about 6mil.

Now I'm getting ready to use their concrete products to seal my concrete in the shop. If its half as good, I'll be pleased.

5. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    I have a 1860 jon boat that has a plywood floor that I added. I wanted a non slip surface and did not want to pay the cost for a can of the non slip paint. Instead I painted the floor with good paint and used a spice bottle to sprinkle sand on the wet paint. It has worked for the last five years with no problem. I also have seen some of these rubber mats where the ends fit together like a puzzle put in the boats for non slip purposes. They tell me they work fine and are easy on the feet if you have to stand up for long periods of time. Catfishjon

6. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Mark,
    What load density would you suggest for the floor of a boat?
    I am new to doing this and it looks like I could greatly benefit from you experience with this product. Got any pictures of the product after it have been applied? Thanks again for the help.

Catfishjon,
    Thanks for the idea's and comments. My boat has got a non slip additive in the paint already. It just is not enough to be non slip. I am also after sound deadening as well as non slip. The rubber mats might help with that but I am looking at something that would be very permanent. I would go with one of the Rhino liner type products if I could get something that was not slip when wet.

Thanks again for the replies,
    David

7. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    You could always buy a quality paint and add some kind of friction material. Sand works good, and most paint stores also carry a product you can mix into the paint. I think one such product is ground up walnut shells? I hear this works very well on boat decks.

8. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    At one time I worked for a chemical company and they spent thousands of dollars putting non-slip coatings on the floors since they were always wet and slick from the soaps and stuff they produced. They had a company that did coatings come in and apply an epoxy paint that had the ground up walnut shells in it and it worked great. It was easy to clean yet rough enough to keep you from loosing your footing. So, if you could find something like that I'd look into it.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC

Call the technical support line to these people. They are very helpful and know the product.
    They can tell you how to prep and apply and help determine what you need and how much of it you need.
    http://www.ecosafetyproducts.com/Non-Skid-Rubberized-Marine-Boat-Coating-p/es-ep100m.htm

10. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Dave you use marine vinyl adhesive to glue it down. I got it thru them as well.
    I was putting in a new wood floor in the boat so I fiberglassed it than applyed the vinyl flooring. It's a lot more work to cut it out and apply than the roll on stuff but it looks really nice once you get it all in.
    Heres a link for the Deco-Dot floor.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...parentType=index&indexId=cat350015&hasJS=true

11. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the replies , suggestions and the links.
    I think I may end up with both the roll on rubberized type coating and maybe some of the rubber mat in the mail lower floor. I still need to decide on what I am going to do about adding a live well. The roll on coating would help out when it came to cosmetics with any added livewell.

Thanks again for the replies and help,
    David

12. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks for the info and links. I have seen the nautolax flooring. I wonder how well it would hold up in a cat boat?

13. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    By this time next week I hope to have my center console out, moved forward and a good start on my livewell (or swing back seat / cooler). I will have to have made up my mind by then and ordered some type of roll on rubberized coating and I may end up with something like this on the open flat areas of the floor. I may just hold off and see how well the roll on coating works.
    For now I am strongly leaning toward Marks suggestion and the Eco safe products.
    Thanks again,
    David

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    David, they have a great technical support.
    I've talked wiith them several times and learned they dont let whoever answers the phone handle tech support. They may have to call you back and they will. Talking to the guys I talked to I can tell they know the product well. So well I'm sure they have used the product.
    They'll guide you through prep, buying the right stuff, and coating.

15. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks Mark,
    i am going to give them a call later today and talk with them about what I need. My only concern is at $80 a gallon how many gallons I will be needing. I am sure that is an answer they will provide when I call. I have to do a couple more measurements to get my total sq. footage before I call. Did you order direct or from a local supplier? Does $80 a gallon sound like what you paid?
    Thanks
    David

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I bought the underwater version. I'm coating my pontoons below the waterline with it.
    One gallon with 3 day shipping was around 123 bucks. The underwater version is more expensive.

If you look in the boat modification journals you should find one of our members that used the product on a pontoon floor. It was a 24 foot pontoon I believe. I think he used 4 gallons. He was covering around 200 square feet.

This stuff is done in multiple coats. Each coat adds more rubber granules. It dries fast. By the time I get to the end of a pontoon I can walk back to the other end and start rolling another coat on. Actual cure time is a week.

17. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    Thanks Mark,
    I did not get to call them today, I was held up at the welders most of the day. It is looking like I will get my bait tank and live well done this weekend. I will need to order what I need pretty soon so I will have it when the welder gets finished with my boat.
    Thanks again for all the help,
    David

18. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I called Eco Tuff earlier in the week to ask a few questions and to see about getting a few color samples. I got the samples in the mail today and will be ordering sometime next week.
    I did find out that a company called Ultra Tuff makes the product for Cabelas, Bass Pro and Eco Tuff. I can order direct from Ultra Tuff and save some money. They will also match the color for no extra charge on a 5 gallon plus order. I was figuring on at least 6 gallons so I think I am going to have them mix and match the color and not use one of the stock colors that don't match my boat very well.
    The attached photo is of the color samples and piece of painted aluminum I cut out of my dash for a tachometer. The center color is the closest match but the match is better int he picture than it actually is. The colors right to left are tan, sand and cream.The cream is more of a yellow.:eek:oooh:

Thanks
    David

Attached Files:

19. fishingbuddy4

fishingbuddy4 New Member

State:
    Warner Rob ga
    I just got done rolling on tough coat from cabelas ,the only problem is there color did not match the same color i sprayed on the walls but i can live with it.