non slip boat liners HELP

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by brad kilpatrick, Nov 4, 2005.

1. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hi all......one of My winter time boat projects is to add storage and a non slip liner to My lowe 2070VTC. I have puchased three of the five storage hatches for the boat. My biggest concern is what product to line the interior of the boat with. MY wants for this:

non slip,
    sound deadening
    must come in colors I need to cool down the interior of the boat (currently dark Green)
    Must permenantly afix itself to the boat no peeling

Has anyone used Cabela's Tuff Coat??? I'm looking at using this but wondered if any of You have any experencewith this product??????

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Check in our sponser section under "Seadeck" they have what you need!!!

3. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    JW THanks for the input I was considering Putting down a chunk of seadeck Behind the console where I stand when navigating shallow or snaggy water. but really need to find a rolled on type liner because I want to cover the entire interior of the boat sides and all

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    brad have ya checked into the self applied rhino type lining for truckbeds. available at walmart. $41 for a gallon. water proof but as far a colors not sure whats available. just a thought.

5. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    Yeah...I've seen the truck bed liner products at walmart and auto stores. They worry me because I have a sprayed in, Line x brand liner in my truck and its real slick when its wet. climbed in the bed after a rain and 'bout ended up on My can. no good at all for a boat.

on the other hand the cabelas tuff liner has ground up rubber mixed in to make it non slip. and comes in colors. My boat is aluminum painted olive green it gets real hot to the touch in the kansas sun. I figured if i coated the inside of the boat with a sand colored liner it would cool the metal off at least some.

Just wish that I could talk to someone who has used or seen a boat done with the cabelas product. sure don't want to have the stuff start peeling off, that would be bad.....very bad

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    sorry. cant help there. never used or seen that stuff. i was thinking about using the truck lining in my smaller boat. let me know what ya decide on. may help me out. or if i do it first ill report my findings. ;)

7. brad kilpatrick

State:
    Kansas City
    thanks a lot jerm ....I will keep you posted, Think I'll go to cabela's sat or sun and talk to the guys in the marine section. ask some questions they should be some help,but would feel better talkin to someone who actually had the cabelas liner in there boat. The truck bed liner stuff seems to stay put pretty well and I wouldn't think there's that much difference between the two products. just some ground up rubber to make it non slip other than that a guy would think they would be pretty much the same. Just nervous about messin up the boat I've got a lot of time money and effort in it all ready and its not half done.

8. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I used some of that rhino liner on the duck boat i use to have and i loved it at first but towards the end of season the "heavy traffic" areas in the boat started to become slick when it got wet. like you said somthing with ground up rubber or somthing in it would do the trick.good luck and keep us posted.

9. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

just happened to talk with rhino liner yeasterday,it comes in all colors and
    can be applied with no skid,he highly recommend dark gray for cooling and
    not showing stains.he just completed doing several boats for the florida
    dnr,said they were very happy with the way it worked out.he will be doing
    mine in janurary after he comes back here after the holidays.depending on
    how much time in deck preperation,primer and tapeing he has to do,takeing
    the boat to his shop,the average cost in my area is $5.00 per square foot.
    hope this will help with your question. :)
    KIRK

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya. it does come in a variety of colors. i was thinking of using the do it yourself stuff for my 10' boat. at the dealer ya can get several diifferent colors. they can add non skid. sounds like if ya want a real proffessional job ide go that route. ill try the $41.00 do it kit. my lil boat ain't worth doing the fancy route. the big one has carpet. sucks washing out cat slime though.

11. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    My buddy has marine vinyl flooring in his boat. It comes in aray of colors and is much better then the spray in liners if you ask me. The only thing is I don't think it's cheap. I know I have seen in cabela's catalog but i'm not for sure if it's the exact same stuff thats in his boat. Since his boat came with it already in it.

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    the marine vinyl is really nice stuff i have considered doing the bow and aft decks on my bassboat with it the liquid bedliner stuff i feel is great to put in a small aluminum boat then if you put a floor in put the vinyl in on the wood flooring you put in it.

13. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    BradK, I have been biulding my boat for about a year now off and on and am at the point of covering the floor. I have looked at the cabelas stuff and have wondered about it too, If you do find out anything good or bad about it please post it on here. Rhinolining is too expensive for me. and the price of the cabelas tough coat is manageable. If you go up there to talk with them would you ask how well it sticks to epoxy. My floor is an epoxy saturated plywood. I guess I could just call them, but if your going to have a pow wow with them you could probably get more information. Mac

14. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Brad, there is a guy in topeka that fishes for monster flats all the time and has the entire inside of his boat coated with Line X. I have been with him several times in the last few years and the inside of the boat does not get to hot in the summer and does not get slick when it rains.

15. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    The inside of my boat is coated with Line-X as well. Line-X comes in any color you want as long as that color happens to be Black. They can and will paint it for you; mine is gray. The paint wears off the ridges in high traffic areas fairly quickly but that is not really a problem. The floor doesn't get slick when it is wet. Over all, I really enjoy having the stuff on the floor and sides. It cleans up easily. The drawback is the price, $350 to coat the inside of my 14' jon.

"A boat ain't nothin' but a hole in the water you pour money into."

16. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Has anyone used that "No-Skid" paint that Lowe's sells? I believe it has Silica in it. It's only $20 a gallon but looks like it would be good. I'm doing my boat as well (this week), so I'm trying to figure out what to use also.

17. Little Mac

Little Mac Active Member

State:
    NW Arkansa
    Shane, I looked at that stuff at lowes, and decided against it after talking to the fella that worked there, its very simular to a product my grandpa used on his dunebuggies back in his day, and it would peel off. Not saying that this would, but the man i talked too in the paint department told me that it would not hold up.

18. Cattracker16

Cattracker16 New Member

State:
    Wilton Iowa
    Do you guys think that the 2 part apoxy paint for garage floors would work? it has paint chips for non skid... just my thoughts

19. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I put a front deck in my 16ft flat bottom using Penta treated plywood and painted it with the Cabelas deck paint with the rubber particles in it. Have used it for two years. Have not had any pealing. The only thing that I don't like-- when crawling across it with shorts ie bare knees it is a little rough. The material doesn't go very far. the deck used a Quart. With shoes and wet conditions this stuff has excellent traction.

20. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Seems to me that the problem is in the non-skid... not in the paint. Have you thought of applying the paint and then throwing sand on it while it's still tacky? The excess sand would wash out, and those sharp crystals would keep a foot from slipping.

I'm thinking of ripping up the decaying rubber strips from my boat and using some of the D0-It-Yourself product with sand thrown on it while the stuff is still tacky. The rubber strips are deteriorating and the glue is turning loose.

You can get good, clean silica sand from the hobby shops that would work nicely. You could even mix it into the paint before brushing or rolling it on.