Non-Skid Upgrade

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by puddle jumper, Dec 19, 2008.

1. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Hey guys
    If you have the junky non-skid stickers that keep comming up and look bad,

Try removeing the stickers and clean the area free of glue and rough up the surface, take a couple of cans of the truck bed liner spray " I think I used Duplicolor " and spray on one coat lightly and spread out regular playground sand as even as you can,, Then spray on a second coat of truck liner over the top of it, it turned out really well and its been 6 months and it seems to be holding up great,"flakes a little in the beginning "

Good winter project. Good luck.
    Puddle :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the pics an info. Looks good.

3. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Nice idea John. I'll remember that when I refinish the fenders of my boat trailer.

4. cassk

cassk New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Thanks John for the great idea!! I need to replace area's on my toon and trailer, you are right the nonskid tape peels up. Your boat looks great!!:0a24:

5. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    thanks, great tip, i'll be replacing the tape on my trailer thats half peeled up with the bedliner paint and sand :0a21: did you let the first coat dry or did you apply the sand while it was still tacky?

6. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Seems like it was fairly dry , but it wasent cured, just proceeded like the directions on the can says about a second coat,,,

I launch my boat by myself all the time I like the idea of doing the rails on the trailer, havent thought of that ,, might save me a emarising moment for sure...:wink:
    Puddle

7. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    yep i know what ya mean, i've almost went in a few times, i plan on doin the rails and also the step back by the fenders where the tape is half missing, great idea, thanks again:wink:

8. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Hey Puddle when you removed the old non-skid tape did the glue remain on the boat? If so, how did you remove it? I removed the tape from my boat trailor fenders and the glue remained. I'm having trouble removing it.
    Vic:smile2:

9. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    yup mine did that also, I used a little of everything but ended up using spray-on paint remover and a scraper didnt let is sit to long "couple of min" just enough to get it sticky but not eat through the paint and then cleaned it up with thinner,
    Puddle

10. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    goo be gone works quite well for sticky stuff but I'm told there are even better commercial products out there made for just that application

11. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    sounds like one hay of a idea .... thanx for the info.. might just try some strips first off.to get the hang of things, been wanting to do something like this sense the last a#$ busting..

12. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    WD-40 will break down adhesives quite well. I use it at work for that purpose everyday. Use a Scotchbrite pad or a brush. Then wipe the area down with alcohol to remove the WD-40 residue.

13. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    I tried it and it turn out realy nice thanx for the info:0a31:

14. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
  15. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    pics of no skid this the last time i try to upload pics....

16. tunnel hull

tunnel hull New Member

State:
    SO.il.
    i used micrtoys to downsize these try it last time

Attached Files:

17. puddle jumper

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Looks good Don,
    Nice job...