Non Profit Clubs & Organizations

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by flathead willie, Jan 29, 2007.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I was raised to be very studious and to try my hand at a lot of different things. I've always been of the opinion that life should be more then going to work, paying bills, and going back to work. For years I've been living way out in the country. It didn't take me long to realize that most of my social life and outside opinions came to me from those I worked with. I was in a slump working 12-14 hours a day, 6 and 7 days a week and not really having much fun. I realized something had to change. Luckily, I got laid of in a down sizing move and went to a job that allowed me more free time but, I didn't have much to do with my time. I saw an ad for a Blues concert in a neighboring city and decided to go. There I met some other people that were into the same kind of music I'm into and we wound up getting together and forming a Blues Society from the ground up. That was 16 years ago. It has over 150 members now. And we put on some of the biggest events in the area now. It was a great learning experience! These days I tend to stay pretty busy with volunteer work for 4 different Blues Societies in Virginia and N. Carolina, working with a SCUBA Club, and two archery clubs. (Today I had an Archery Club meeting and then a SCUBA club meeting.) I've met a lot of great people that I have a lot in common with and have learned a great deal from. Today, with computers, it's easy to find groups of folks (like you at the BOC) that are doing things you love to do.

Does anyone else belong to any clubs, groups, organizations, etc.? Tell us about them. What are you getting into?

2. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The music y'all do, is some of the best blues I've heard! I sure hope I get to come up there to watch y'all perform at the Blues Fest! Give me a nudge about a week before, so I don't forget. Can't wait to meet you and your family.

Take care.
    Cheryl

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Good post there Willie. I decided to vol. an help out the local 4h ers this year as my daughter joined last yr. and the club was unfortunately too loosely run by a very well meaning person with no time to help these kids out

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    As the late Groucho Marx once said, "I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member.":big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Be like the flower that perfumes the very hand that crushes it.

5. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    My family and I are members of the local Gem and Mineral society. We do a lot of field trips and have monthly meetings. It is a great way to get the kids outdoors.

6. Jerry60k

Jerry60k Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I am a webelos den leader at our local scout den.

I also spend alot of time helping with the midget league football and cheerleading.My son and daughters keep my busy :)

7. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Willie, thanks for the post. Iv'e heard that volunteers live longer.... I just wanted to say that I was a volunteer member of the National Ski Patrol for 30 years. I got my start at ski patrolling while in Germany in the army. When I got back to the states, and back to work as a machinist, I continued my education to be a teacher, and carried on with my ski patrol membership. You see this organization is like paramedics on skis... we go into the wilderness, or to ski areas and help injured skiers with first aid and transpotation back to the ski areas. This involved some retraining each summer, and almost every other week end as long as the snow stayed on the hills. We did not get paid to do this.... but did get season passes for the family and a free lunch to boot. I would have to say that the folks that do this about 20,000 in the us, are quite like the BOC with all the commeradre that one gets from this organization....
    Eventually, with all the new ways to get down the hill....sno boards and no brains, the fun that we use to have has gone out of it.... lots of my buddies got out of it because it was starting to look more like a job....You have to be the first ones up the hill .... rain, snow, sleet etc, and then you are the last ones off the hill....

My knees got shot from all the abuse that I did to them over the years, and my son was backing out of the volunteer work as well, so I retired, so now I have more time to do fishing.

bayrunner ray

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm glad to see people helping others. Ray, I have to hand it to you. My whole family are skiers. My brother was captain of the Boston College ski team for 4 years and my cousin owns two ski resorts in Londonderry, Vermont. I used to ski when I was a kid but gave it up when I went in the service. About 8 years ago I volunteered to take a girl scout troupe up to Wintergreen Ski Resort. The first time down the hill I fell and broke my thumb. The rest of the trip I was in agony. That was my first time in 30 years... and my last time!.